Author Topic: 7-30W from 30-30  (Read 630 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
7-30W from 30-30
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
I ran a few 30-30 cases through my 7-30W sizing die and it reduced the case neck, but only to about half its length.  The result is a normal 30-30 shoulder to a 308 caliber neck and then a very small shoulder where the 7mm neck starts.  The case went into the sizing die all the way but the neck was not sized for its entire length.  I know the Waters has a blown out case body and the shoulder is probably more steep than the 30-30.  Just never tried this and was shocked by the results.  IF the newly formed shoulder moves forward to the 7mm neck, it will add a lot of case capacity.

I chambered an unloaded case in my Contender carbine barrel and it closed.  

Is it safe to fireform a case sized this way?  Is this normal?  Will the brass expand and seal the pressure in this condition?

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: 7-30W from 30-30
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »
Hey Charles, that is normal.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »
charles p

Your good to go with the fire-forming , you can do it a couple of ways , one is to use a light load of fast burning powder ( like Bullseye ) under a case full of Cream-O-wheat and a wax cap . Or you can use a starting load for the 7-30 and a cheap bulk run bullet .

Either way MAY take a couple of loadings to fully form the case , but not always .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I've only fireformed 280 Ackley from standard 280, and 25-06 from 30-06.  I've never experienced a neck with two diameters.  

Just blow her out - will do.  I've tried shotgun powder and a wad of TP before, but it seems that a bullet and a medium fast powder works better for me.  Don't have anything much faster than 748. 

Would a heavy bullet and a light load be better for fireforming than a light load and light bullet?  When I did the 280AI I couldn't get a crisp shoulder angle on the first attempt.

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
I usually do my fireforming with a medium load and whatever cheap bullets I have handy (I used 55 gr. FMJ for my .22 K-Hornets).  Check your loading manual for data, but a medium charge of 748 and whatever bullets you've got handy should work just fine for getting your case formed.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
If you are a bullet caster, buy an inexpensive Lee 7mm bullet mold and shoot cast bullets with about 4 grains of Red Dot.  Lots of fun plinking and will fire form the cases nicely.  Have you shot your 7x30W with full-house loads yet?  If not you're in for a treat!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:10:28 AM »
i use the same bullet to fireform mine but use 8 grains of unique.
If you are a bullet caster, buy an inexpensive Lee 7mm bullet mold and shoot cast bullets with about 4 grains of Red Dot.  Lots of fun plinking and will fire form the cases nicely.  Have you shot your 7x30W with full-house loads yet?  If not you're in for a treat!
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:58 AM »
Have you shot your 7x30W with full-house loads yet?  If not you're in for a treat!

Yes I have, but not in the carbine barrel.  My son and I each have pistol length barrels in this caliber.  I have always used factory brass in 7-30W but the gent who sold me the carbine barrel included a few hundred once fired 30-30 cases.  I thought that if I used them in the carbine, I could keep the loads and cases seperate more easily.  I have taken five deer with the pistol barrel.  Most were killed shooting from the weak side following rotator cuff surgery.  The surgeon forbid me to shoot from the right, so I got the pistol combo and learned to shoot with my left hand off sandbags.

Offline tripper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
I use to fire form for my 14 " 7x30 but then decided to load up some that needed forming with my hunting load. Went to the range and shot the hunting loads along side the ones that needed forming. They shoot so close together that I quit fire forming. Just load up the reformed  30-30 brass and hunt with them now. Don't know if it would work out that way for you but it is worth trying.
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline bub524

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Don't...........
-put a small amount of pistol powder in the case and then stuff it with cotton thinking it will blow the case out and just "puff" the cotton out, the cotton comes out like a wood dowel!
Then.....
-If you do it anyway don't do it in the basement
Then....
-Do Not aim it at the little soap cup sitting on the drier which is 12" in front of the control panel.

The cotton will make a hole in the control panel and the cup!
 :-\
"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." G. Marx