Author Topic: Ordering new press---little help  (Read 509 times)

Offline HEAD0001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ordering new press---little help
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:21:58 PM »
I am ordering a new Hornady progressive press.  I will be loading for the 45 Colt.  I already have an RCBS die set for the 45 Colt.  and I am still deciding about a crimp die.

In addition I want to order:
1.  Shell plate
2.  COP die(powder check)
3.  Powder drop expander

Do I need to order anything else with the press to start reloading for 45 Colt??  Do I need one of the powder tube extensions??  Anything else??  I would like to order it all at one time.  And this is my first progressive, so I want to make sure I have everything  I need to start with??  Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline shot1

Re: Ordering new press---little help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:52:19 AM »
If you are using a progressive you will need a roll crimp die. You will need a powder check die because it is very easy to double or triple load a 45 Colt case.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »
Which press ? I have one I have not used but it seems Hornady dies were needed to function better. Might be the powder dump or something , I will try to look . I got it when a store was going out of business . Paid less than 50 bucks. It came set up for 44 mag. I mounted it on the bench and some how lost a part and have yet to order it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
  Just FYI. The current issue of 'The Varmint Hunters Asso' magazine has an extensive article on buying,setting up, & using progressive reloading setups. He compares 5 or more of the most common ones.
NRA, Veteran