Author Topic: passing of Paul Barnette  (Read 758 times)

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
passing of Paul Barnette
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:59:26 PM »
Today I received a phone call from Jim the new owner of SBR.  He informed me that Paul had passed away this week.  Paul was a wonderful person who loved to have fun at the 18 twelve overture's that he did the cannon salutes for.  A craftsman, and historian.  He will be sorely missed.

Lendi

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: passing of Paul Barnette
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »
Lendi,
Thanks for this information, I'm saddened to hear that he's gone; earlier in the year I had occasion to have some phone (my first) conversations with Paul, and by the end of the second call I'd already come to the conclusion that he was a good guy.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:43:55 AM »
Leni - Thanks for posting this.  I never met him, but this is important to those who did.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Randell

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »
I met Paul and had a chance to visit his shop in 1990. I was so impressed with the quality that I ordered a tube from him. Will miss the quality of his work.
Rest Well my friend.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
     That's a shame.  You guys are right; he will be missed.  I bought my 4" mortar, a replica 1797 back in 1973 from Paul.  I was so impressed by the quality, that I owned 4 cannon made by South Bend Replicas by 1979!   That catalog and history book they sell is easily worth 3 times as much as they charge.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:48:28 AM »
lendi, many thanks for telling us about Paul's passing.  Really sorry to hear that as I have met him in person and dealt with him on the phone.  Luckily I had the opportunity to go to his South Bend shop twice to make purchases.  He was a REAL black powder cannon expert.  I still have one of his mortars that has the old "Barneys Cannons" wording cast in the bottom of the tube.  Also still have one of his very well made little Dahlgrens with a 1-inch bore.  He was extremely friendly/helpful and one of the really good guys to deal with and visit with.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)