Author Topic: new plastic revolvers ?  (Read 7048 times)

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: new plastic revolvers ?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »
Some of the poly guns are having cracked frames and are being replaced . My concern would be points like the cyl. pin etc being in plastic wearing faster than a metal gun . As to the springs and maintance if I got a plastic revolver that is suppose to stand up to sweat and moisture better than a metal gun then only to find the springs and few metal parts rusted would be bad. I carry every day and my gun sees everything from dust - swear- rain-mud -heat-cold-pocket lint-pocket trash-on and on. No I don't clean it every day . Sometimes the trigger was hard to pull on a mod. 38 body guard from grit that got in while working on ground works. I switched to a 340PD with a more closed action for that reason . As for the 1911 no matter the cost it is a nice carry gun some times but I find it better suited to a truck gun most of the time My pocket gun is always there . My intrest in a plastic gun is to point out the good and bad . They are new and some improvments will surely come . As far as a defense gun and lazers go simple is best BUT ALWAYS KNOW YOUR SIGHTS incase battries go dead

I recall reading the thread here about that. I never did find a clear answer to the extent of the issue. Of course I didnt try to hard becuase I dont own any and haven't found any I really like.

I think the springs will rust on a poly gun just like they will on any other. Its resistant to rust,but not impervious. I suspect that the cylinder pin will be steel,and the cylinder will be too. My guess is that there will be a steel insert in the frame that the cylinder pin will fit into. Plastic is good for some things,like a frame where its extra flex can make it hold up very well. However a pin is not going to hold up well becuase it will not have the stiffness needed. Neither would a cylinder. I havent seen any polymer revolvers,but my guess is that its going to be exotic metals for the cylinder and plastic with metal inserts for the frame on expensive ones and steel cylinders for the cheaper ones.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 06:31:32 AM »
There is much on the net about cracked frames and Golck has something about replacing old frames I think.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »
I haven't handled nor even seen a plastic revolver and I am curious about them. I checked out this post in the hopes of learning something but it turns out to be three pages about Glock and Kel-Tec autos. ::)
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Savage

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2010, 05:17:22 AM »
CJ,
Guess your best source for info on the plastic revolvers might be the manufacturer's websites and perhaps some of the online gun magazine reviews. I recently read reviews on both the S&W & Ruger revolvers. Don't remember which magazines, but bet it'd be easy to find with a quick search online. I'm betting the plastic revolvers will catch on quickly as I would expect prices to go down due to the lower manufacturing costs of polymer frames over metal ones.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
Now if they sold for about $100.00 less than a S&W airweight that would make then attractive !

Offline Savage

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
Now if they sold for about $100.00 less than a S&W airweight that would make then attractive !
I'm thinking about the only thing that will sell poly revolvers would be a price point below any of the metal offerings. 

Savage

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »
I'm thinking about the only thing that will sell poly revolvers would be a price point below any of the metal offerings.  

Savage

Depends. People said that about plastic autos too and now they are very popular. I think we are seeing the same thing here that happened with the polymer autos. I remember hearing people go on about how plastic would never wear well for a barrel and how the side would eventually fail and wouldn't have enough weight. Similarly,the "plastic" revolvers are not really made out of plastic,they have some plastic parts. Heres one http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html . It looks fine to me and I expect a good gun from Ruger. I probably would not buy one myself,becuase I'm not really into revolvers but notice that the frame that supports the cylinder is aluminum,with steel barrel. Thinking about it,you will never see a polymer barrel. Even the ideas that get floated about spiral wrapped graphite with metal or ceramic liners probably are not practical. Its not an issue of strength,its an issue of heat. 15 rounds fired relatively rapidly,for a bolt action,from one of my Mosin Nagants made the stock start to smoke and weep cosmoline (becuase I didn't clean it good enough) and burned my finger when I touched the barrel. If that barrel had been a thin metal liner inside a plastic and wrapped graphite jacket,it would have the liner to the point that the plastic decomposed and perhaps caught fire,the heat treatment of the metal liner was destroyed,and the liner might even have melted. In a steel barrel it dissipates rapidly,and in a aluminum barrel with a liner it would be even better.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:22 AM »
I don't know about that , I have seen mod 50 Winchesters get hot after alot of shooting. And some of the first gen. Glocks are proving the skeptics may have been correct to a point.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
I think it rather an academic point as to how a small compact revolver holds up to 20,000 rounds since I will never fire a snubby that much. I'm more interested in how it handles and shoots with +P ammo out of the box. I see Ruger is now building a LCR in .357 mag, I bet that is a bear to shoot with full mag loads but so is the M-60 Smith. I also see that the frame and barrel shroud is one piece so there will be no correcting point of impact by twisting the barrel but no doubt it will be "close enough for its' intended use."
PS-- Don't the newer Charter Arms have a plastic grip frame? I seem to recall someone said they do.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Savage

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2010, 08:15:41 AM »
I have little doubt that the poly revolvers will hold up to more rounds than any sane person would care to put through them. They may even prove to hold up to more rounds than some of the steel ones. As CJ stated, few owners of the "J" frame size revolvers will put many rounds through one. I'd guess that 95% of these revolvers never see more than a couple hundred rounds.
IMO, if given a choice between an alloy revolver and a poly of the same size and weight, most would opt for the alloy over the poly if they were close in price.  So, again IMO, the major selling point for the polymers has to be the price. The plastic frames have to be cheaper to manufacture than the metal ones. Hopefully they'll pass that savings along to the customer.  If they were a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a 642 I'd consider one, and I already have enough "J" frames!
Savage

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 05:35:02 AM »
The new S&W 38 Bodyguard complete with laser sells for about the same as a 642 airweight and nearly $200 less than a 642 with laser grips. So I guess it comes down to how much you value the laser. My interest is the internals. Both Ruger and S&W claim redesigned lock work for a lighter and smoother trigger pull but will they be as reliable as the older internals?

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »
Both Ruger and S&W claim redesigned lock work for a lighter and smoother trigger pull but will they be as reliable as the older internals?

I have tried both and they are improved.  Doubtful if they will be as reliable b/c they are a first generation and the others have been around for years but who knows.  I tend to stay away from a brand new design for a while. 

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 01:53:07 PM »
I really have no experience with plastic revolvers but I can offer some advice. When I was in the market for a primary carry, and a back-up handgun,  I made a list of those I was both interested in and could afford. Then I did on line searches for any and all reviews that I could find on each one. That included both private consumer reviews, and those by firearms magazines and such. I also went to several gun shows and talked to both individuals and sellers about the ones that interested me most. The gun shows also gave me the oportunity to handle a wide variety too. You can learn a lot by just milling around listening to conversations and by simply asking questions of all you meet. Many handguns I thought I'd like I quickly dismissed after actually holding one and looking them over. Finally I actually fired the ones I had my choices narrowed down to. Do all that and you can get a pretty good idea if any firearm is worth your money. That includes plastic revolvers.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
I really have no experience with plastic revolvers but I can offer some advice. When I was in the market for a primary carry, and a back-up handgun,  I made a list of those I was both interested in and could afford. Then I did on line searches for any and all reviews that I could find on each one. That included both private consumer reviews, and those by firearms magazines and such. I also went to several gun shows and talked to both individuals and sellers about the ones that interested me most. The gun shows also gave me the oportunity to handle a wide variety too. You can learn a lot by just milling around listening to conversations and by simply asking questions of all you meet. Many handguns I thought I'd like I quickly dismissed after actually holding one and looking them over. Finally I actually fired the ones I had my choices narrowed down to. Do all that and you can get a pretty good idea if any firearm is worth your money. That includes plastic revolvers.

I held one today at the gun show and it felt ok. Much better than the plastic autos.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
I really have no experience with plastic revolvers but I can offer some advice. When I was in the market for a primary carry, and a back-up handgun,  I made a list of those I was both interested in and could afford. Then I did on line searches for any and all reviews that I could find on each one. That included both private consumer reviews, and those by firearms magazines and such. I also went to several gun shows and talked to both individuals and sellers about the ones that interested me most. The gun shows also gave me the oportunity to handle a wide variety too. You can learn a lot by just milling around listening to conversations and by simply asking questions of all you meet. Many handguns I thought I'd like I quickly dismissed after actually holding one and looking them over. Finally I actually fired the ones I had my choices narrowed down to. Do all that and you can get a pretty good idea if any firearm is worth your money. That includes plastic revolvers.

I held one today at the gun show and it felt ok. Much better than the plastic autos.

To each their own. I love my "plastic" auto. ;D

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2010, 05:56:05 AM »
I ordered a Ruger LCR for a friends wife as her carry gun. Right out of the box the trigger was pretty awful. It seemed as though on some chambers the pull was sweet but on one the trigger came to an abrupt hault and was very hard to squeeze on through. After quite a bit of dry firing it eased up considerably but I could still tell that one chamber was just a bit harder to pull through than is the other four. I haven't fired it since it isn't may gun but then again, he hasn't paid for it so I just might. ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
The new S&W 38 Bodyguard complete with laser sells for about the same as a 642 airweight and nearly $200 less than a 642 with laser grips. So I guess it comes down to how much you value the laser. My interest is the internals. Both Ruger and S&W claim redesigned lock work for a lighter and smoother trigger pull but will they be as reliable as the older internals?

Here you can find 342's fot 369.00 alot of times .

Offline scootrd

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
3 Personal choices

Walther P99C Sub-Compact Black polymer ,  And yes I think it looks awesome !!

Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry 380

Rugers little LCP Glass filled Nylon

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »
2 Personal mouse gun choices

Walther P99C Sub-Compact Black polymer ,  And yes I think it looks awesome !!

Rugers little LCP Glass filled Nylon

But this is about revolvers  ;)

Offline scootrd

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
But this is about revolvers  ;)

may ahve started out that way but other talking LCP AND Kel Tec PF-9's and such , so thought I would throw in a few of my favorites as well. 
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline tonygrz

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Like the songs goes "they all get prettier at closing time" same as the plastic revolvers.  When it counts and it goes bang and saves your life, they are very, very pretty.

I have a load of very pretty pistols and revolvers.  But the ones that come with me all the time are a Kel-Tec P32 or a Ruger LCR. 

Tony
Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
I'll stick with the S&W airweights pretty and as useful as any plastic gun.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2010, 05:16:26 AM »
I'll stick with the S&W airweights pretty and as useful as any plastic gun.

Just remember you said that should some day 5 not be enough.  ;) Hopefuly I'll never get in an extended shootout but, with the spare magazine, it's comforting knowing I've got 15 shots.  ;D As for pretty? Maybe there should be fashion shows for guns?  :D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2010, 05:36:23 AM »
That's why I have two and speed strips  ;D

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »
That's why I have two and speed strips  ;D

Good idea.  :) Just a question, at what distance can you consistantly accurately hit with one? I like knowing that with my PF-9 I can consistantly hit accurately well past normal self defense ranges of just a few feet because not all situations are at text book ranges. That's one of the reasons I chose it. For having such a short barrel the PF-9 is very accurate. More so than many handguns with longer barrels. Reason I ask is that I once shot a snub nosed Colt .357 that a friend owned. To hit down range, about 30 yards, you about had to point it at the ground half way between you and the target the bullet raised so much. Accuracy was pretty much nonexistant. Not picking on ya, just honestly curious.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
Well back when legal I got a cat at 30 steps (30 yards)with a mod 38 airweight . I pratice out to 15 yards on IDPA targets . We shot IHMSA targets at 50 yards with a 2.5 inch mod 66.
Now in SA the S&W J frame can do very well . In DA it takes alot more pratice , but a 340PD or 342 the shooter can get a higher grip and better control.
 That said it takes constant pratice , not once a year sorta thing. I read many years ago that Wild Blii H. carried 2 36 cal. navies. He shot , cleaned and reloaded one each day. So he always had a fresh gun. Seems there was a fence post he shot near where he bunked.It kept him good with the gun also.I though it a good idea . I have ( well really had ) a tree that for the past 13 years has been shot several times a week. The tree fell a couple mos. ago  :( so now I have another one .
 I will offer that to survive in a gun fight is winning to me. Distance works as much for you as aginst you. If someone is shooting at you seek cover. No need to go John Wayne if they don't come your way. No need to search for an attacker if no one is in danger . The idea of shooting someone holding a hostage is a very low % shot . Why kill a love one ? If they get killed let it be the attacker ! How do you explain shooting them ? YOU DID HAVE A CHOICE !
So I guess you can say I won't be engauging targets much past where I can justify my actions. And if by chance the need comes up it might not be healthy to stand in the open and shoot at me. We were in a canoe , both of us were armed . The guy was playing or a poor shot . Both weapons we had were more accurate than the one you carry i would believe . We paddled for who laid the rail seemed a wise choice at the time. A gun is for when the decisions you already made didn't work out .

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
I was once robbed and saw the guy coming. He pulled his pistol while a good 40 yards away and came at me fast. Large open parking lot with no where to run or hide so I couldn't do more than just stand there and let it happen. Plus I didn't care for getting shot in the back while trying to run. Point is, had I had my CCW then, I could have shot before he turned yards into feet. That thought has been with me ever since. Particularly since just a week later a friend cooperated with a robber and the low life shot him anyway.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2010, 01:36:07 AM »
Sad story about your friend , you were lucky . I had a similar thing happen. I had a gun but no shots were fired . But at 40 yards by the time you saw , reacted and drew your weapon the guy would be in side 20 or less yards . A good shot with my J frame really.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2010, 05:05:03 AM »
My friend picked up his (wife's) LCR .38 yesterday and we shot it a bit with some Remington 130 grain fmj. I had no problem keeping them all in a 3" bull at 10 paces by just pulling the trigger straight through. My friend, a single action only shooter, was trying to "stage the trigger" by pulling almost to the fire position, correcting his aim, then finishing the pull. He was all over the place with that technique. Some shooters with some revolvers can do good work that way on the range but it's a poor practice since in a real life and death situation you'll never have that sort of fine motor skill.
 Anyhow, the LCR was plenty accurate enough for its' purpose, shot to POA and recoil was quite comfortable with those Remington loads, I'd say about like my 6", with full .357 loads, though not nearly so noisy. He plans to load 125 grain Gold Dots for her, starting light and working up to +P if she can handle it.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:06 PM »
I haven't handled nor even seen a plastic revolver and I am curious about them. I checked out this post in the hopes of learning something but it turns out to be three pages about Glock and Kel-Tec autos. ::)

I noticed that too :)

When it comes to hunting I like blued steel and walnut stocks. When it comes to a carry gun I just want it to go bang every time and be light enough to carry comfortably all day. My Ruger LCR fits that bill nicely. I have over 700 flawless rounds through my LCR to this point. It's very comfortable to shoot, is accurate, has a better out of the box trigger than every J-frame I've ever owned and I don't have to worry about what type of ammo I'm feeding it. I could care less that the frame is plastic. Enough said.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783