Author Topic: Strait Stock  (Read 891 times)

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Strait Stock
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »
I think this has been discussed before but I have been looking through pages and pages of old posts and did a search and I couldnt find much. I have seen some pics of some of your guns with the "english Style"(I think) strait grip and I really like the way it looks. I was thinking about turnin and old wood stock into one. Is it hard? what does it intail besides removing wood?  anything I should watch out for? I havent worked alot with wood, my fabrication background is mostly in metal. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
JW

P.S. I have never handled a pardner with a strait grip. Do they point well? Feel good?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Strait Stock
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
See RESHAPING STOCKS in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
Once I tried a Pardner with a straight grip I haven't been able to go back to pistol grip. All of my H&R's wear straight grips now. I think most people prefer pistol grip, though.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline yipper

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »
All of my handis now have straight stocks.  My first conversion was done with a hacksaw and a 4-in-1 rasp.   I had no previous experience, but the slow progress by hand allowed me to figure it out as I went.  I've since acquired a used angle grinder. I'd say go for it, and best of luck.

geoff

Offline JRW209

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
Thanks Quick I guess I just skipped over it.

Thanks guys I just might have to try this now. From reading in the FAQs the tools that was mentioned the most was the rasp. Is this my best bet?

Offline JRW209

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
 "I've since acquired a used angle grinder. I'd say go for it, and best of luck."

What disk do you use on the angle grinder? A course sanding disk?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »
You don't want to remove too much material too quickly until you are familiar with the process.  I did my first stock reshape (not on a handi) when I was 17 using 400 grit sand paper and stopping often to dust it off and check look/symmetry/feel.  Then I used 600 grit to smooth and steel wool to finish grain it.  I then used Birchwood Casey's Gunstock Oil and did several coats over a few days letting each one absorb completely.  Still using it after 20+ years without issue and have added a layer of oil once.  ;)  If you do this, don't use sanding blocks unless they are the flexible type, or you will have little flats which are harder to smooth.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline yipper

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
What disk do you use on the angle grinder? A course sanding disk?

Yes, a coarse disk.  This removes material quickly.  I follow it up with hand sanding to smooth the stock out.  I also use a dremel tool at the stock/receiver junction.

geoff

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
i had MSP Ret do a set for me . i love em ! i tried to do one and buggered it up ...

Offline JRW209

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
Thats nice I like it alot!

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
 I did it, anyone can ;) One warning I have not read yet. Be very careful about cutting and sanding the stock at the end where reciever mounts up. If you take to much off, the lip of the reciever will get your hand. :o

Lonny

Don't ask how I know :-[

Offline JRW209

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
I did it, anyone can ;) One warning I have not read yet. Be very careful about cutting and sanding the stock at the end where reciever mounts up. If you take to much off, the lip of the reciever will get your hand. :o

Lonny

Don't ask how I know :-[

Thanks Ill keep that in mind! 

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 02:41:25 PM »
It  looks like a winchester 94 to me.  The stock that comes on them works for me except I seem to point it naturally low.