Author Topic: Compressed charge 357 mag question  (Read 779 times)

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Compressed charge 357 mag question
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
I just started loading the hornaday FLX bullet - red poly tip for lever actions.  140 grain bullet but it is longer from crimp ring to base than my 158 gr.  I am using W296 with win mag primers and am above starting weight but below max.  To seat and crimp the longer bullet I am getting into compressed charges, something I have no experience with.  Is this going to create pressure problems ??

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
Re: Compressed charge 357 mag question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »
  I don't know, it might. I'd certainly be concerned about it, as you obviously are.
  I believe 296 is made by Hodgden, right? Try getting in contact with their customer service department and ask them. If they're like any other powder maker thay probably have a ballistician on hand that can answer that question for you.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:44:44 PM »
H110/WW296 tends to perform best when loaded to max charges.  Most of those are compressed.  I think you'll be fine.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:49:20 AM »
I just started loading the hornaday FLX bullet - red poly tip for lever actions.  140 grain bullet but it is longer from crimp ring to base than my 158 gr.  I am using W296 with win mag primers and am above starting weight but below max.  To seat and crimp the longer bullet I am getting into compressed charges, something I have no experience with.  Is this going to create pressure problems ??

Maybe. Did you shorten the cases as per Hornady recommendations? Where did you get your load data, or are you just using the 140gr XTP data? If you trimmed your cases shorter than standard,  are crimping in the cannelure and are using a bullet that seats considerably deeper than the bullet in your load recipes, you can be increasing pressure considerably. H110/W296 load recipes generally have a tight  parameter between min and max. I load H110/W296 in all of may magnum calibers.(.357. .44, .460) and altho cases are generally full, I yet to have a compressed load as compared to IMR4227.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »
Some reloading data will note a compressed load. Others don't . I have loaded compressed load many times with good results . In all cases the data was followed. When you start reloading most will instruct you to get a book and follow it to the letter . This is the best advice anyone can give and follow. Most are happy doing so and enjoy loading and shooting. BUT then things like the bullet you want to shoot calls for a powder you don't have . You have a powder you use with another bullet that is same weight and type from a different bullet co. The primer you use is out of stock . Your cases are differen't bran etc. So you pick up more books with more different data. When I found myself at this point I had no one to ask ?'s . I ran into a book by Lee . I am not saying this is the best book but it had a different approach. It listed bullet weights and if lead or jacketed. And primers were large pistol or what ever never by brand name. So I used that book for a while . Then you realize that if you compare most books are close in data. In your case you can use this imformation as a check , if one book gives a load well above the others I would back off and check it out.
 If you are loading a Hornady bullet , didn't a little data sheet come in the box with suggested loads  ? At one time they did . If so you can almost bet it will be a good place to start . They want you to like what their product can do.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
If in doubt you could always use the lee factory crimp die this would allow you ignore the canular and crimp where it is needed providing the oal isnt to long for the firearm you are loading for.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »
I just started loading the hornaday FLX bullet - red poly tip for lever actions.  140 grain bullet but it is longer from crimp ring to base than my 158 gr.  I am using W296 with win mag primers and am above starting weight but below max.  To seat and crimp the longer bullet I am getting into compressed charges, something I have no experience with.  Is this going to create pressure problems ??

I guess the obvious questions (unless I missed it):  How much powder are you using and what are you shooting it in?

BCB

Offline Lost Oki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
Let me answer a few questions...might help. 
No, I did not trim cases to the recommended length for the FTX bullet.  But I did check the length with my Lee case trimmer and they are in spec.

No info with bullet but I did look it up on the Hornady sight and the recommend powders I do not have (Have enough now, no plan to buy a special powder to find out if I like the performance of the bullet.  I just used the info for a 140 grain in the Lyman book and cross referenced it with the Lee and H110 and with the info on the Hogdon sight which shows 17.1 start and 19 max for the XTP bullet (no compressed charges listed).

Shooting loads in a Marlin 357 rifle.  with plans to try the bullet in my Dan Wesson 357

Powder, Win 296.  Have 4 test sets.  17.8 grs, 18 grs, 18.2 grs.  Max load in both books shows 19 grs. of powder.

ALL LOADS are compressed charges. 

I normally load 158 grain soft points with no issues (less powder, shorter bullet). 

So, compressed charges OK or iffy. 

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:05:23 AM »
Yes, I've seen compressed charges listed in load manuals for .357.  But not all powders or powder-bullet combinations tolerate compressed charges.  I recall somewhere that ball powders in general do not perform best under compression, whereas flake powders seem to tolerate it better.

You may try a drop tube.  Dropping the powder through a 3-foot brass tube into the case can fit more powder into a smaller volume without compression.  Black powder shooters swear by it.

Hornady lists the BC of the FTX as 0.160 and the hollow point XTP as 0.169 for the same weight bullet!  Explain to me how the FTX is going to shoot farther with a lower BC and less powder capacity.

Hodgdon powder lists  a velocity over 1990 fps using H110 under a 140 grain XTP.  Hornady's fastest speed is only 1650 for their 140 gr FTX.  Where's the advantage?
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
  As long as you are using reliable published data there is no problem with compressed charges. Some of the slower powders will just about all the time lead to compressed loads. There should be some air in there to allow compression. Then you have 'degree of compression', just a little & I doubt there is ever enough to actually 'lift' the bullet. You should use a pretty firm crimp on those loads anyway.

I just skimmed through one manual & saw some handgun loads up to 120% of case capacity.
NRA, Veteran