Author Topic: Bought a new H&R 12 Ga today.  (Read 593 times)

Offline TopsBlades

• Trade Count: (0)
Bought a new H&R 12 Ga today.
« on: October 28, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
I walked into my local gun shop and saw a heavy barrel H&R with a scope and a sling on it.  I knew it was a used gun but it looked to be in good shape.  Based on my reading on this forum I was immediately interested.  Turns out it was a 12 Ga with a rifled barrel.  Very heavy shotgun.  Simmons 3x9x32 scope.  Great trigger!  It shows some use but all in all a very nice looking gun.  I've never hunted deer and want to do it for the first time next year.  I plan on shooting Hornady SSTs in it and will sight it in this year and shoot it some over the next year.  A couple of questions...

First - I paid $250 for it... How'd I do?

Second - What do you think of the Hornady SST?  I will be limiting my shots to 100 yards or less until I am confident in my ability to get a one shot clean kill.

Third - Can I sight it in like I do an M16?  That is sight it in at 25 meters and have predictable rise and fall out to 100 yards?

Fourth - Can I shoot buck shot out of this barrel?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
HOOAH!!!  It's an Army thing!

TopsBlades@gmail.com

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Bought a new H&R 12 Ga today.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
Before you get your heart set on the Hornady SSTs, the best advice I ever got regarding a rifled slug gun is try many diffrent kind of sabots and shoot them for group size before you even start the site in process. In other words find what gun likes to shoot it will save you some frustration. You might get lucky and it will like the SSTs. I have a Tracker II 20ga and a 20ga USH neither one likes high velocity rounds. The Tracker II likes 2 3/4" lightfield hybrid express and Ulta slug hunter likes 2 3/4" buckhammers.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Bought a new H&R 12 Ga today.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »
I think you did fair on price, but hey you done bought it so what's it matter?

No, buckshot will not do well in a rifled barrel.

Try every sabot and normal slug you can afford to try until you get one that groups well!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!