Author Topic: Sportster purchase  (Read 1421 times)

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Sportster purchase
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:06:14 AM »
Stopped by Scheels on the way to work the other day.  They has 2 Sportsters in 17 HMR.  Both scoped in very good condition.  One had a sweeter trigger and a 2.5x10 Simmons Scope with Weaver steel rings.  Paid $160 OTD.  How did I do?   BTW the other one is still there (Lincoln, NE) with a low end Simmons with Simmons rings for $129.
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
Re: Sportster purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
You will like the 17hmr . This is a great fox control round ,My chickens are glad ;D I got mine. The foxes are not >:(!  26-t

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:11:58 AM »
 Yopu will definitely like the .17 HMR..I have my NEF and a new Savage with accutrigger & Bullbarrel..they both shoot "spot on". WEhen you talk .17 HMR..you're talking accuracy.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gtv

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
I agree, you will love the hummer.  My H&R Sportster .17 HMR is easily my most accurate rifle, with dime-sized groups the norm at 100 yards.  Be sure to try the different ammos for it...  mine loves the Remington and CCI loads, but not so much the Hornady loads (well, we're still talking quarter-sized groups, but I am spoiled easily  :)  )

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »
  Yes, by all means try several ammo types...mine likes Hornadys V-Max best..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:49:11 AM »
If you like the HMR you MUST try its lil brother the Mach 2!!!
Like all of you my HMR is very accurate, but my Mach 2 is hands down the most accurate rimfire I have ever fired or owned!!!! I have owned and fired allot of them!!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:35:25 AM »
Well I spotted a mach2 sportster in Omaha at about the same money, might have to take the plunge if they shoot that good!
                                                          Kaveman

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
Here's what my 17hmr does.

Not a handi, but you shouldn't have any problems getting here.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 01:44:48 PM »
I have to agree with the above posters. I have a H&R .17 HMR which is VERY accurate. The only other rimfire I have that is a bit more accurate, within it's effective range, which I think is about 100 yards and perhaps just a bit more, is my H&R .17 Mach2. My HMR may reach out a bit further, but within 100 yards or so my Mach2 is SCAREY accurate....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
  Some folks shy away from the HM2 because they are afraid ammo will too soon not be made for it. I wouldn't let that faze me a bit from buying one. I would just find out what ammo it likes and buy a big batch. If ever the ammo becomes too scarce, a fellow could then ream it to an HMR.
  I really love my HMRs though (NEF & Savage 93R17 bull). Both outshoot anything I have..  

Below see what I got this past week with my Savage HMR. At near 100 yards, 1 shot to  the chest (Federal orange tip, V-Max) and he dropped straight down for a 'dirt nap'.

Offline 1 farmer

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:50:35 AM »
You got a good buy. I have one in HMR and HM2 and both are great shooters. Fun guns to shoot and dont cost a fortune to buy.