Author Topic: SWITCHING SCOPES TO FIT THE LOAD!  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
SWITCHING SCOPES TO FIT THE LOAD!
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »

This summer I had to switch scopes on my 243 Winchester because the screw on the BDC turret broke.  I pulled out a 4X scope to use while testing loads while waiting for a replacement BDC screw from Bushnell.  I used a different set of Weaver rings on the 4X scope, and left the rings on the 3x9 BDC scope in place.  The rifle has a Weaver type scope base on it.

Once the BDC screw was replaced I remounted the 3x9 scope on the 243 Winchester.  A trip to the range proved that it is in adjustment.

The problem is the majority of the year I want the rifle sighted in with the Winchester 80-grain softpoint for varmints.  I have about a 1000 of these bullets on hand along with 80-grain Speer Hot Cor and  80-grain Nosler Solid Base bullets.  A hunting partners experience with the 80-grain Winchester was blow-ups at close range on the ribcage of a mule deer.

Come deer season I would prefer to have my handload with 105 grain Speer Splitzers in the rifle.  The load is accurate and I believe it will provide better penetration.

The Problem is the 80-grain bullet is approximately 7-inches higher than the 105-grain bullet at 200 yards.  The windage stays the same.  It appears the 105-grain Speer has been discontinued and my supply is limited. 

I recently replaced a Simmons 2x10-44 scope on a 270 Winchester with a Bushnell 3200.  The thought is to leave the BDC scope sighted in with the 105 grain bullet and use the Simmons scope with the 80-grain loads. 

The key to this is the mating of the Weaver type bases with the rings.  Over the years I have not moved scopes back and forth on rifles.  Once installed that have found a home.

If I come home one night and I decided to switch scopes for a morning deer hunt am I setting the stage for failure with a scope switch?

This summer I had to switch scopes on my 243 Winchester because the screw on the BDC turret broke.  I pulled out a 4X scope to use while testing loads while waiting for a replacement BDC screw from Bushnell.  I used a different set of Weaver rings on the 4X scope, and left the rings on the 3x9 BDC scope in place.  The rifle has a Weaver type scope base on it.

Once the BDC screw was replaced I remounted the 3x9 scope on the 243 Winchester.  A trip to the range proved that it is in adjustment.

The problem is the majority of the year I want the rifle sighted in with the Winchester 80-grain softpoint for varmints.  I have about a 1000 of these bullets on hand along with 80-grain Speer Hot Cor and  80-grain Nosler Solid Base bullets.  A hunting partners experience with the 80-grain Winchester was blow-ups at close range on the ribcage of a mule deer.

Come deer season I would prefer to have my handload with 105 grain Speer Splitzers in the rifle.  The load is accurate and I believe it will provide better penetration.  From a ballistic standpoint the 105 grain bullet is flatter shooting than the 80-grain at 180-yards, and it produces higher energy from bang to hitting mother earth.

The Problem is the 80-grain bullet is approximately 7-inches higher than the 105-grain bullet at 200 yards.  The windage stays the same.  It appears the 105-grain Speer has been discontinued and my supply is limited. 

I recently replaced a Simmons 2x10-44 scope on a 270 Winchester with a Bushnell 3200.  The thought is to leave the BDC scope sighted in with the 105 grain bullet and use the Simmons scope with the 80-grain loads. 

The key to this is the mating of the Weaver type bases with the rings.  Over the years I have not moved scopes back and forth on rifles.  Once installed that have found a home.

If I come home one night and I decided to switch scopes for a morning deer hunt am I setting the stage for failure with a scope switch?
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: SWITCHING SCOPES TO FIT THE LOAD!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »
The way I see it you have three options.
Option 1
Buy a new (to you) rifle and stick the 4X on it and sight in for the 105's
Happy hunting.

Option 2
Keep the 3-9 on the rifle and stick a chart in your ammo box how many clicks to rezero the scope for the 105's.
When you load the 105's in the rifle you
A) Change the scope 14 clicks up.  3.5" at 100 yards  1/4" per click equals 14 click
B) stick tape on the rifle
C) when you unload the rifle click back down the 14 clicks and remove the tape.

Option 3
Find a new projectile that will fit both needs of varmint and deer.  Load and sight in.
Problem solved.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
IMHO a rifle looney can justify anything. ;) 
You have several rifles so having a dedicated deer rifle setup to go is already in place if you don't have time to rezero one rifle. I would still check the zero after switching scopes. About all of the scope swap tests I've read showed 9 out of 10 times the scop is still zeroed.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »
IMHO a rifle looney can justify anything. ;) 

I resemble that.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:19:57 AM »
It seems most of us do.  :D
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
There are better base/ring systems available then Weaver
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
I agree there are better scope bases and rings to be had. 

I started out with steel Weaver scope bases and rings made in El Paso.  That was over fifty years ago, and I continued to use Weaver bases and rings as I added firearms.  As the objectives grew on the scopes I mounted on my rifles some of the rings went from low>medium and to high.

Now days there are a lot of labels that imitated the Weaver system.  I have had problems with the weaver imitators.  I bought a set of B-Square Rings and they were over sized and would not hold the scope.  Those rings never made it to the range.

Recently I purchased a new Bushnell Elite 3200 scope.  I installed it on a Remington 700 from which I removed another scope.  The 700 has Weaver brand bases on it.  Rather than make a trip down the hill to purchase new rings I went to the drawer I keep miscellaneous rings and bases in.  The only medium height rings were a set of Simmons Chinese Imation rings.   I had purchased them to mount a scope on a .22 rifle.  I must admit I was leery of them, but I had an opportunity to get to the range.

The sight-in process went smoothly and I was pleased with the results until I tried turning the power ring.  The scope had slide forward in the rings and the power ring was lock against the rear base.  I have a screw driver set from Brownell’s in my range bag.  I slide the scope back, tighten the rings “carefully” and did some test firing.

The scope seems to be secure but I do not trust the rings.  If I get well enough I still hope to get out a few days and try filling a bear tag.  That rifle will make the trip along with another...  I do not trust the rings and after the season I will replace them.  I want to see how good the RainGuard coating is on the new scope.  The primary rifle I take is a Ruger 77 in 7MM Magnum with Ruger rings.  The scope has never moved in the Ruger factory rings with numerous firing.

I must admit to shearing off a Weaver Brand (El Paso) base mount on my Savage 110CL.  I caught a toe in a piece of old #12 phone line while out hunting.  I took a very hard fall with the scope taking the blunt of the fall.  The screws in the rear base had served for twenty-five years but the scope was dented and the screws in the rear base sheared off.  In this case I do not think it was a product failure.

Brand names are meaningless now days.  I grabbed a set of Weaver Brand Quad Lock, four screw (China) rings for mounting a replacement scope on the 110.   After mounting the scope and a couple of trips to the range I checked the packaging and found they had been manufacture in China.  I was a little disgusted that they were made in China.  The height of low, medium, and high rings very between manfactures.  The new scope I purchased for the 110 had a larger objective lens then the old scope and I need taller rings.  I like to mount a scope over the center of the bore, just clearing the barrel.  I have had no issues with the rings.

It seems that tall rings are in abundance now days but low-medium rings are a little harder to find.  Mail order was out because of return policies.  I was in Wal Mart and on the mark down rack they had a set of Weaver Brand rings and base for a Marlin 336.  I did not need the base but the rings were what I needed to mount my Burris 2x7-35MM scope on my Marlin with the original Weaver base mount from the early 1970’s.  I passed the base to a friend with a couple of Marlins. 

But I must return to the basic premise in play when purchasing the Remington 788 in 1979.  I would have preferred to buy one of the Remington 700 rifles in the shops rack, but they cost more money.  Installing a take-off scope from my 700 on the 788 reflects what I am willing to spend on the rifle.  If I was going to step into higher cost mounts they would go on a different rifle.

Switching Scopes:

I have a winter, spring, and summer ahead of me before another deer season comes around.  I do have a plan regarding switching scopes of the 788.  The key to the plan involves range time.

A rainy day will be spent loading 30 to 40 rounds for scope testing.  I have never fired my 80-grain WW and Speer loads over the Chrony.  This is a good opportunity to do it.  Rather doubt that I will change the load because it is accurate.

The current plan is to set up a target backing at 100 yards sight in the Simmons scope and check the Banner.

Fire a three shot group and then switch scopes.  Record the information and continue on until I have shot up my ammunition or it becomes apparent that switching without sighting in is a loser.  I believe a series of three shot groups should show a trend.

I do not think it will be a loser; I have removed the scopes off a couple of 270’s in the past and returned the scope afterwards without negative issues.  This was done during maintenance.  This was also Weaver rings in Weaver bases.  This was in the days of steel rather then aluminum products.

I am looking for some experience on this step.  As described earlier when the scope slipped using the Simmons mount it moved forward.  I plan to snug the forward mount in the front base slot.  I have never experience scope movement to the back.  Should I snug the back ring to the front of the slot or too the rear of slot in the back base?    Somewhere I saw a manufactures drawing of their Weaver type mount with the forward ring to the front and the back to the rear.  There is very little if any play between the rings and the base if any.  I should note that the rifle came as a package.  The rifle had a 4X Tasco scope on it.  Not having the rifle in hand I cannot comment on how tight of a fit I will get.

I would hope that I get some range time with the deer load just before the 2011 season opens, if not I will hunt with a different rifle.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »
OK, here is the deal with the play between rings and bases. When your rifle recoils the inertia of the scope and attachment(rings) try to stay put. Therefore remove all slack on both rings by pushing them forward against the base slot. 
I never used B Square , Ruger is great, perhaps Leupold rings and bases are the way to go. Hopefully they still make them in the USA.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:04:59 AM »
Yes it can work for you but.................................................BUT IMHO you will need to get decent mounts. Now Leupold and Warne make steel Weaver type bases if you must stick with that design and I would use dedicated Q/D rings on them. I personally am not a fan of the Weaver bases but have them on one rifle for now until I can get something better.

Now on several of my rifles I have Q/D rings and will often take the scope off when cleaning the rifle as it just makes it easier then put the scope back on when finished. I have yet to find that this alters the zero. OK three of the rifles in question carry Apel mounts, two with the Roll offs and one with the EAW Swing mounts. somehow I cannot see you spending the money on this rifle that those would require as they will probably cost more than the rifle did...................................................... BUT  ;) have a look at the Leupold lever operated Q/D mounts and rings they work too:-

Seen here on my Parker-hale 1200 super in 7.92mm.

The only gripe I had was unlike the Apel mounts the Leupold bases require fitting and I mean fitting to actually mate to the rifles action. Out of the packet they honestly looked like they were meant for a different rifle. I did a bit but the gunsmith finally fitted them and now they look like the belong to the rifle. Some would point out that they cost only 1/3 the amount of the Apels which is true but they are supposed to fit the rifle they are brought for. The rings in these DO return to zero  ;) they are also graceful unlike those Warne things.

I have a set of Nikko Sterling Warne type rings in 30mm to hold a 7.5x scope on the P-h 1200V in 6mm rem. That's the one with the Weaver bases and I don't like the set up but it's cheap and will have to do until I can get a decent set up on it. These Nikko Sterling rings cost 1/4 the price of the Leupold's so will do for a while.

These are the EAWswing mounts:-

The small lever is lifted and the rear mount swings out the scope is then moved 90 degrees and lifted out of the front ring. the front ring is adjustable to wear. The mounts take careful fitting and setting up to work as designed and a lot of folks don't realise it.

Hmmm I don't have any close ups of the scope mounted nor the Apel roll offs. had better do something about that.

Oh just as an example a new set of Apel EAWswing mounts in 1" here in the Uk would cost at today's exchange rate over £420 which = $630 US approx which is why I said that I cannot see you going for them  ;) the Roll offs are cheaper at around £250 = $375 US.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
scatterbrain:  Thank you for the response on positioning the rings to mount.

Brithunter:  Great pictures and very educational post on the rings.  Having lived in the world of Redding, Leopold, Weaver, and Warne mounts I had not heard of Apel.  Very nice hunting rifles.

Having knocked Weaver mounts I must say that they have not failed me.  Most of my deer hunting has been in the Siskiyou and Klamath mountains, with some days in the Cascades, and Sierra Nevada.  The terrain is hard on equipment and the hunter.  Frankly I loved it.  My Dad would take us high on the mountain in the dark early morning hours, and we would come out the bottom in the late evening.  A lot could be said for youth.  

Many a day I or my hunting partners will leave a rig at the top and another at the bottom of the mountain.  We normally hunt National Forest lands.  At the end of the day after making this hunt start at 6700 foot elevation and dropping down to 3500 foot we stopped by the hospital so our hunting partner could get his leg x-rayed after a hard fall.  Ice on rocks make for slippery going, hard on the body and equipment.  His Husky along with his Leopold scope, in Leopold mounts suffered no damage.

I am too old for this hunt now, it makes for a long day and if a buck or so is taken it comes out on a packframe.  I have proven a number of times on this hunt that a 270 Winchester is very effective on rattlesnakes.  This country offers shot from the end of the muzzle out a few hundred yards.  The brush is forever tearing at the hunters clothing, and gear.  

In the early years I like wearing a little pair of deer skin gloves to grab brush to let down step spots or protect me if I had to grab poison oak to steady myself.  I have a scar on my 760 barrel from a trip down this slope.

When it comes to deer hunting there are a lot of temperature extremes.  In Colorado I have gone from 85˚ to -20˚in 24 hours.  In California I have gone from the 90’s to 15˚ on a hunt.  When I was a kid I would shed the gloves when the temperature warmed up during the day.  If I left them on the bluing on my rifle would be in better condition.

The point is that the Weaver steel (El Paso) base and rings held up very good on my rifle.  I received this rifle on my 14th birthday, and it was my only deer rifle for thirteen years.  The first year I hunted with the factory sights and the second year I had a Williams peep sight on it.  This is an early M760 and it was not tapped for a scope.  I paid a gunsmith to tap the receiver and mount the scope.  This is the rifles 53rd year.

I have had three or four different scopes on the rifle.  When I installed a Burris FFII with BDC on the rifle it required medium mounts.  The original base is there.

This rifle has taken some interesting rides, one of the more interesting was when I was sliding down a steep slope beyond the point of repose and a large lizard ran up my pants leg just short of the crotch.  At the time I did not know what it was, I grabbed its head thru my jeans, while hopping around trying to maintain my footing and not lose control of my rifle.

As I squeezed its head I could feel the claws on the feet digging into me.  The feet were a clue that it was not a rattlesnake.  I had to lay the rifle in the dirt so I could pull my jeans down and get to the critter.

The rifle and scope survived the event.

I removed the rear factory sight and replaced it with a folding Lyman sight.  The thought being the Weaver rings are easily removed if a scope is broken in the field.  All that is needed is a coin to turn the retention screws, and the scope can be placed in my daypack.  The folding sight brought up and the hunt is on.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
Beautiful country  ;D it would be the death of me those mountains. No way could I climb them without heart failure.

It's not that Weaver don't work I do not like the way they look especially the modern alloy bases. They look cheap. I am also not fond the the Parker-Hale rings and bases as the late made one also look cheap the earlier ones were contour machined and polished unlike the late ones bead blasted and anodised over the top  ::). Now the Swiss company Reckengle also make mounts similar to Apels and are cheaper and for the Mauser AKAH also make them but am not sure if they make them for other makes and models.

The Parker-Hale in the photo looks a bit different now as that was virtually right out of the box I have oiled the stock since and is a bit darker with a sheen to it now. Oh EAW stands for Ernst Apel Wetzler same place Zeiss and Hensoldt come from. Due to the cost I have to scratch around and find deals on them. The rifle with the EAWswing mounts had them fitted when I acquired it and the first set of roll off came at a greatly reduce price as the dealer had had them on the shelf for a looooooong time due to them being marked for a BSA .. Dumb folks didn't realise they were for the BSA CF2 which uses the same mounts as the rem 700 and several other makes. I gave £70 for them NIB. Picked up a set of used rings then a set of used Mauser bases and made up the next set for half price or a bit under.

Now iron/receiver sights  ;D I am fitting  Lyman 57SME to the BSA monarch that I am re-building as a .280 AI and hopefully I can get it set up so it's ready zeroed to use under the scope. My .270 Majestic Featherweight has the Lyman/William fold down rear sight as std but it also has a Parker-Hale 6EH receiver sight on it but I ahve to remove the windage arm to fit the scope  :( these rifles were factory drilled for the receiver sights the Majestic being of 59 vintage and the Monarch of 67 vintage. I have another Lyman 57SME to fit also but lack the mounting screws which will be sourced next year for it. Now i just need to get practiced using them and get them spot on zeroed for my hunting ammunition.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
Scope on Brithunter rifle is mounted much higher than necessary.  Would prefer lower rings.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »

I like my scopes as close as possible to the bore without contacting the barrel.  Three examples:

The installation of the Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9-40 in what I call a low medium mount gave the rifle a whole new feel.   Most of my deer shooting is at close range with the animal moving or about ready to kick it into gear.  This is similar to law enforcement combat courses with a shotgun.  My duty 870 had a Williams peep sight on it, fast and effective.

Before the Elite the 700 had a 2x10-44 Simmons Scope on it.  The scope required high rings.  I believe the high rings put me at a disadvantage.  I collected a couple of bucks using the high scope, one at long distance from a setting position.  I did not feel a handicap the first time, but I did when I shot this deer.

I was setting at the end of a large diameter log in the woods.  I had slowly rotated to my right when the buck came in to my view.  He was feeding on a wild cherry bush.  He alerted to my movement and I was trying to get the rifle into position to get off the shot.  At the time my mind was telling me that getting the crosshairs on him was not very slick.  The shot went behind the shoulder and did the job.  It was the first time I have seen the hide on a deer ripple like pond water when a rock is tossed on it. 

I rather doubt if I will buy another scope over 40MM again.  I prefer 38MM to 40MM on a 9 or ten power scope.

A clear transfer of knowledge/skill happen when I went from using a M760 starting at 14 years to carrying a Remington 870 shotgun in the law enforcement field.  Of course the payback was in both directions.  My skill level improved with all those rifle slugs the taxpayers issued me.

Another view of the M760 better highlighting the low mounting of the scope.

I have been impressed with the Burris FFII 3X9-40MM scope.  This scope is mounted slightly higher than the scope it replaced.  Knowing what I do now I might have bought the Burris 2X7-35 scope for this application to get a lower mounting.

You can tell from this picture the hammer on the Marlin 336 just clears the scope.  This Burris 2x7-35MM sets a little higher than the 4x El Paso Weaver it replaced.  The Burris has a larger eye box then the old Weaver.     I had been hunting timber stands and a large pine plantation where they had cleared long strips for new planting.  I felt the 4x scope limited the opportunities that I was willing to take.  The Burris is a better glass then the 50+ year old Weaver.  After watching some deer from 160-yards to 200 yards I carried the M760 the next day.

Without a doubt the shooter's build has a lot to do with how comfortable he is with a hunting rifle and scope.  If I was taller and had a very long neck I might like taller mounts.  Many feel See Thru mounts are the ultimate in scope mounts.  I have a negative opinion of them for my use.  A Michigan cousin has them on his .270 Winchester, what is okay as long as he does not set the rifle next to mine in the corner.

Without a doubt we are in the area of user preference.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:55 AM »
Scope on Brithunter rifle is mounted much higher than necessary.  Would prefer lower rings.

Why thank you for your expert opinion  ???

What Siskiyou understands is that not everyone is the same build and people also have different shooting styles :D.

We here in the UK and those in Europe tend to shoot with he head erect in a natural relaxed stance and not crawl the stock as is the norm in the US. I believe is was Townsend Whelan that  proposed and taught the low scope mounting method in the US. my rifles are so set up that when I lift them to my shoulder the eye is aligned with the scope and I don't have to hunt of it nor my target.

Recently I watched the Winchester adverts for the new Model 70 and one thing I noticed was that in nearly every video the shooter had to move his head and snuggle in to get in position for the scope................................ not good IMHO. if you mount the rifle with your eyes closed when you open them you should be looking through the scope not have to go "hunting" for it.

Now of course I am not an expert  ;) I'll leave that claim to others  ;) but I am sorry to say that a lot of the trained experts are actually pretty poor when it comes to firearms use. I am referring to the "experts" in our Police who we are supposed to defer too and yet their gun handling and training is quite pitiful from what I have seen. Hopefully in the US it may be better?

Quite a few of my scopes are 42mm or larger in objectives and I have two of 50mm of larger those being a Meopta 7x50A and a unbranded 8x56. if I can wangle the finances I hope to acquire another 3-9x42 scope in the very near future.

I would like to look at one of the elite 3200's but am not going to plonk the money down to get one until I can handle and look throguh one. been disappointed before doing that  :-[.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
(Disclaimer, my internet went out when I started this, and without the net up I had time on my hands.  Lookout, as the kids say this could become a chapter book)
First I must eat a little crow.  In an earlier post I stated that:
I rather doubt if I will buy another scope over 40MM again.  I prefer 38MM to 40MM on a 9 or ten power scope.
Here is a good example of a 44MM objective  mounted on a rifle using a medium height rings.  The design of the receiver and the base mount in this case allows the scope to clear the barrel and provides a low mount.  Bottom scope is a 2x10-44MM.

Here is another bird on the plate, crow is a little chewy.

If I was taller and had a very long neck I might like taller mounts

This top rifle was my Dad’s deer rifle.  I made three changes to it, installed a recoil pad, replaced the scope, and handloaded the ammunition.

I was looking at this old 722 the other day after reading Charles p post and was thinking I need to buy another pair of the medium or low mounts for the scope.  But after handling the rifle and memory kicking into gear I remember why it has high mounts.  If you look at the picture the rifle has the old style stock designed around low iron sights.  The stock has a very low comb.  In this case the scope comes up before my eye.  I recall with a different scope the rifle had low mounts on it.  The rifle has large front sights that use to show up in the scope, frankly it bugged me.  That is not an issue now.  Dad had removed the front sight from the ramp, but I put it back in along with a folding Lyman rear sight.  I like have the iron sights as backup.

For  the hundredth time I must post the picture of the mule deer I killed on the run with Dad’s rifle.    It is hard to beat success.

The difference in build and style make a big difference when it comes to fit.  The real game changer in the U.S. after WWII was the availability of rifle scopes at a price within reach of the common man.

Compare the drop in two of my rifles the M760 and the M700.  The M760 by serial number was manufactured in 1954 and must have set in a warehouse unit it was retailed by Monkey Wards in 1957.  If you look at the picture of the rifle you will see the stock has a lot of drop, it was designed for iron sights.  In fact the stock had enough drop to be a duck gun. (Picture in earlier post.)

There was a lot of discussion between my Dad, and his hunting buddies when I decided I wanted to put a scope on it.  Even the local mechanic got in on the discussion.  Nice guy but not very credible when it came to deer hunting.  Had himself a 30-06 but it never got out of the house.  He just set around and offered a lot of opinions.

So while the elders set around like a bunch of ducks on a pond discussing my rifle I went to work haying.  A few weeks before deer season I caught a ride to town with my rifle and went into a local gunshop.  I had a recoil pad installed, purchased a Japanese parallax special 4x scope, base mount and rings. 

My Dad and the rest of the Ducks check it out and said it was okay.

Filling both my deer tags helped out.

During the winter with everybody gather around the oil stove at the local garage the mechanic was giving his opinion and demonstrating how to properly shoulder a rifle using a ghost gun, but we knew what he was communicating.  One of the problems was his build.  He stood about 6’4” and he was close to three hundred pounds.  I was a skinny 5’8 teenage boy who on a good day came in around 130 pounds. 

I am sure that coming up with a stock that fit both of us challenged manufactures.  I know that Remington changed the stock on the M760 and in a few years Remington offered a couple different grades or stocks.    Looking at an old Gun Digest Remington offered a “General Purpose” stock in the 1975 Edition which could be used with iron sights or a scope.  Along with the general purpose stock came a new iron sight that was not in a dovetail on a ramp.

Remington actually change or offered a different 760 much earlier.  Number 2 brother got his Remington M760 in 270 Winchester four or five years after I got mine.  His had a “high cheek” stock which was much better to scope use.  Admittedly I was jealous, his rifle fit better, and it was nicer looking.

I am sure few of you have noticed “most” women are built smaller then us guys.  There are extremes with some being very tall or others petite, and those in-between.  The standard issue Remington 870 beat them up real bad.  In the LEO world the standard length stock was normally too long and rather than getting the stock to the shoulder it would stop on the bicep. 

Sometimes a positive attitude can overcome a stock that does not fit.  I got my first hunting license when I was ten years old.  To young by law to buy deer tags, but doves were legal.  I took advantage of dove season because there was large population.  The only shotgun in the house was a double barrel 12 belonging to Dad.

I did not have many birds for my first box of shells and I do not recall a lot of coaching on proper form.  I had a lot of coaching regarding safe gun handling.

Monday morning I was showing off a large, deep purple bruise on my right bicep to my to my school mates.  The stock on the shotgun was too long for me and I was resting it on my bicep when it came time to fire at a dove.

On the qualification range I was watching the form of some of the women shooters.  Not only were they stopping short bring the shotgun up to firing position but they were sporting bruised biceps.

Getting the stock shorten to fit a couple of the female officers was easy, and the shorter stock and new recoil pad was welcome.  These officers quickly became very good with rifle slugs and buckshot.  Low Recoil rounds need not apply. 

Before I had my own deer rifle I hunted with a barrowed Savage 99A in 303 Savage caliber.  The stock had a serious amount of drop in it.   It was designed to work with the full buckhorn sights on the barrel.  The drop in the stock kind of reminds me of the  I like staring at the CZ rifles, but I prefer the American models.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-med-lux/

The scope on the Remington 788 is the Simmons 2X10-44 that is part of the scope switching test.

I compared the latest Trophy with the Elite 3200 and the 3200 looked like a better scope.  I did this at a shop the has a stock that different scopes can be inserted.  The 3200 cost a little more but after taking it the to range I am convinced I took the right step.