Author Topic: De-resonator  (Read 1015 times)

Offline texbell

• Trade Count: (0)
De-resonator
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
I put a limbsaver barrel de-resonator on my handi. has anyone tried one on their weapon

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: De-resonator
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
How long did it take for people to stop laughing at you at the range?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »
How long did it take for people to stop laughing at you at the range?  Larry

They're still laughing.  :D

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:47:30 AM »
Ya know, all this stuff we do to the forearm, shimming to fit a barrel, efforts to remove side play and "working up loads" if a person handloads, is all about barrel vibration. Either minimizing vibration or finding that sweet load that equates the "harmonic balance".
I'm sure Varmint Al's page has a long dissertation on custom de-resinators, it's weight and position placement of such on a barrel.

I say if it works go for it,, least of my concern would be guy's on a web site poking fun, or guy's at the range chuckling at it's apperance. I've seen what I'd consider some awfully funny looking custom bench guns. Some of'm look like a cross between a kids Erector set and a toy Transformer'. They'll throw away a convetional look with blow apart adjustable portions of the stock all in the name of accuracy, and call it technical advancement.

Those that laugh will only do so at their own embarassment when you show'm the tight group target.
found elsewhere

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
After reading some other reports, I have thought about it. I believe it is another avenue of experimentaion that may prove interesting. Please keep us posted, with some good documentation of before/after and a good, solid testing procedure.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Laugh if you want, it took my group down another 1/2" at 100 yrds. on my 25-06.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »
Look this up-- search,
suhl homemade barrel tuner
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
OH Boy!!!! We ain't had a good barrel Harmonica songdicussion in a couple of yr have we?  ;D Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline texbell

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:49 PM »
Well i tried it out. at 100 yards with my 270, hornady 130gr. sst superformance ammo. Laugh guys if you want but im hitting one inch groups.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
Good for you, dont listen to anybody if it works for you than I say go for it.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Dan71

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
For $20 what do you got to loose?
"It's Gods job to judge the terrorists...
It's our job to arrange the meeting".

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of all who Threaten it.

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »
I purchased one, but haven't got to try it yet. I had some ebay bucks to use up, so it didn't cost me much. I'm shooting reasonable one inch groups at 100yd now. If it tightens those groups, then the know-it-all smart asses can bite me! If not, they can still bite me! The concept seems reasonable.
I'll bet the archery guys got the same reaction at first too when the compound bow was introduced, or even the split-limb bow, and then the limb savers for those.
I put no salt in other folks catterwalling before they've even tried something. Especially when there's so much evidence it works.
I get enough raised eyebrows from the guys when I tell them I'm going to hunt with a single-shot .308.
I'll give it a try and judge for myself. As my Grandpa used to say, "I ain't tryin' to win no damn beauty contest!"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »
I have used it, as you have read for me it has worked.  ;)

BUT, its NOT going to "fix" a bad barrel, bad barrel crown, poor bedding or simply poor shooting mechanics. It's working on the harmonics of the barrel. Harmonics are created as the bullet passes thru the barrel. But the harmonic change with different bullets at different velocities and different pressures. So its NOT a 100% fix it in 100% of the guns. Winchester and Browning mad a "BOSS" system that worked on the same premise. they effectively changed the length of the barrel. There in changing the harmonics and effectively "tightening or loosening" up groups.

You also need to follow the directions and shoot a little with it in different positions. So it takes some shooting to uncover what it might do for you.

I'm a bit bothered by all the naysayers who either judged by looks alone and never even tried it thinking it couldn't work. Like I said, its not good looking and I didn't want it to work. Luckily most of my barrels shoot well enough to satisfy me with out one but a couple of my barrels have a De-resonator permanently affixed and I'm glad for it!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline pruhdlr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
I don't use one but I've sold tons of them.

I found one at my range one day. As I was scroungeing for brass, it had been tossed into the kitty litter container that we use. It was pretty filthy from seems like having been there for some time. I took it home and gave it a good bath and then put it into my range box. For the next several times at the range I asked around to see if anyone had "lost" it.

No one stepped forward(probably out of embarassment for buying the silly thing)so it stayed in my box for some time. One day a fellow shooter was complaining about his 1.5" groups @ 100yds outta a Ruger #1. I told him what I had found and asked him if he wanted to slip it on and shoot a few with it. He seemingly relucktantly said,"I guess so",so I tossed it to him. His group shrank to under an inch and he wanted to know where he could buy one. This same thing has happened tp me quite a few times.

One day at the range same thing, only groups started out at >2inches and shrank to 1 inch with a guys 22Hornet. He simply asked if I would sell it to him. I had never been asked to sell it before,but he was a older gentleman so I agreed. He breaks out a $20 and sez," will this be ok or you want more" ?? I sez," that should do it",and we both were happy.

That fuglie little thing being in my range box for a couple of years or so, helped to sell probably 15 of them. Looking back on it......I should have rented it. --- pruhdlr
RSSZ Camping/Hikeing Club --- '69,'70,'71
Stoner 63 (MK23/XM207

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »
Here's a link to Varment Al's pages;
http://varmintal.com/atune.htm
 Now this is about a "Tuner" but kinda like what a de-resonator has in mind when it's on a barrel. Like I and others have said it's about barrel vibration, and some experimenting will need to be done with position as it apply's to different rounds charge and velocity. I also don't think one could just slide one on and miraculously have better groups.
 Varment Al's pages has some really good graphics and very technical results and advice, it's agood page for the favorites list.  ;D
found elsewhere

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
According to the back of the package, the de-resonator should be placed based on whether the barrel has been floated or not. Floated barrels seem to improve with the thing toward the end of the barrel, while non-floated barrels they recommend moving it closer to the forearm.
They follow-up by saying a little experimenting by moving it maybe a half inch or so at a time should help to find the "sweet spot". They also recommend wiping a little gun oil on the inside of the de-resonator to aid in moving it around until you find the spot you like.
I look forward to trying it out.
I must also admit that, since talking to my local gun dealer, I'm getting a bit more interested everyday with the idea of the 45-70. She (yes my dealer is a woman, and she knows her stuff) said a local guy ordered a Buffalo Classic and it was one of the most beautiful guns she'd ever seen.
We'll see what happens.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
"I'm getting a bit more interested everyday with the idea of the 45-70. "

:D Oh Man,, ;D
Hook, Line and,,,,
I think it takes 3 to be come an intern handiholic,, ;D
Oop's I was wrong, just 1,
Updated Handi-holic-ism Level Chart:

1  Intern Handi-holic                     
 3  Average Handi-holic                 
 8  Journeyman Handi-holic         
12  Senior Handi-holic                 
16  Master Handi-holic                   

25  Terminal NUTS Handi-holic! 

50+  These guys are morphing into Handi-Gods!
found elsewhere

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 02:48:32 PM »
"Well doctor......its like this.......when I go into a sporting goods store the first thing I do is check the used gun rack for Handi rifles."
Says he,"You make it sound like a bad thing...."
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
Love my .45-70 BC.  Blew a hole clean through my first deer this year.  Have some 350gr. flat nose coming instead of the Hollow points next time.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.