Author Topic: Parrrot Bolt Mold Survey  (Read 639 times)

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Parrrot Bolt Mold Survey
« on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
This topic started in Winter Projects . I am ready to cut a hollow base conical mold . What diamaters would you like to see ? I am starting with a 30mm mold because I have 3 barrels for it . Any suggestions as to length , skirt thickness ? Armorer77

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Parrrot Bolt Mold Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »
I would be interested in 1 inch but I need to find a liner first before I can come up with bore/groove- minor/major dimensions.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »
Another thing , material to be cast ? Lead or Zinc .

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
Zinc or aluminum.  Lead is way to heavy and two easily deformed in such large projectiles

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »
1 inch would be really cool. Casting with lead.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
I had one inch bolt for smooth bore in lead and it was the one that gave me all the problems with deformity. The edges of the flat bases got dinged to easy, evenn when I use the hollow base plug.  You can use some prtt collor full words and it still woul help to seat a lead bolt that hangs up part way down the bore.

Really didn't have problem with 1 inch round ball.

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
OD = 2.90" (or 2.93)

OAL = 6.0" (nose about 2.00 inches long, skirt about 4 inches and tapered from an ID at the base of about 1.90 to about .75 going into the nose - if that makes sense. )

Nose shape should be a flat point semi-wadcutter. 

In lead that will weigh right around 9 pounds. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
2.93 lead should weigh closer to 11  Pounds. 

Joe it sounds like you have used a lead projectile this big before.

Did you have any pressure  problems or did you reduce loads to keep pressure down.  I don't think it would take much prssure to expand th skirt.  How ere the ballistics...Is a lead projectile like this a one range  load or doe it work at short and long range?

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
OD = 2.90" (or 2.93)

OAL = 6.0" (nose about 2.00 inches long, skirt about 4 inches and tapered from an ID at the base of about 1.90 to about .75 going into the nose - if that makes sense. )

Nose shape should be a flat point semi-wadcutter. 

In lead that will weigh right around 9 pounds. 

subdjoe,
It sounds like you are shooting a full scale Ordnance Rifle or  Parrott Rifle.  Tell us what you have and post pictures. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
2.93 lead should weigh closer to 11  Pounds. 

Joe it sounds like you have used a lead projectile this big before.

Did you have any pressure  problems or did you reduce loads to keep pressure down.  I don't think it would take much prssure to expand th skirt.  How ere the ballistics...Is a lead projectile like this a one range  load or doe it work at short and long range?

And Zulu wrote: 
subdjoe,
It sounds like you are shooting a full scale Ordnance Rifle or  Parrott Rifle.  Tell us what you have and post pictures. Grin
Zulu

Full scale Ordnance, built in 2005 by Steen.  I had cobbled together one of roughly those dimensions just to get the rough weight, it wasn't a mold I could use but once.  It weighed about 9 pounds.  The nose section may have been about 1.5 rather than 2 inches thick.  It was an experiment, but it did go down range with reasonable accuracy - first live fire and getting the hang of the sights.  I also tried a solid lead slug about 4 inches long - cast in a 14 oz vegetable can.  That did upset into the rifling. 

Pressures did not seem excessive (vent plume looked normal) with a 6 oz. charge of cannon grade.  Only shooting at about 300 yards.  We also tried some actual bolts from Trail Rock - those were great.  Pretty much dead on.

One like I described I would think should be good to at least 1000 yards, maybe more.  It may be on the short side, need to experiment on it some. 

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
subdjoe,
Are you pleased with your Steen gun?  I have heard they make a very fine cannon.  one of the best!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
subdjoe,
Are you pleased with your Steen gun?  I have heard they make a very fine cannon.  one of the best!
Zulu

It isn't actually mine - I just get to tow her to reenactments and the occasional live fire, store her, keep her clean and painted (all the fun stuff).  I have also done the research on pointing, aiming, loads, history, etc. 

But...yes....a FINE combination of machinists and wainwrights arts. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell