Author Topic: Anybody shooting Redfield's new scopes?  (Read 1405 times)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Anybody shooting Redfield's new scopes?
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:59 AM »
I understand that Leupold is now making Redfield, in the United States, with Leupold methodology and technology, but being the more economic variety, not to the extreme standard of construction (coatings principally) as their Premium line of scopes.  Not a big deal really. 

Still, Redfield has always been a quality line of hunting scopes and I am seriously considering purchasing several for my rifles and future use.  I feel certain they will beat all of the Japanese Tasco stuff.

What has happened to Japanese "quality"?  They used to take pride in and make very good quality products, inexpensively.  They, like their Chinese brethren, have become synonymous with cheap crap.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anybody shooting Redfield's new scopes?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:28:53 AM »
Being one that has no real experience with scopes---40 years ago doesn't count because of the advancements---I sought advice
Lloyd was kind enough to walk me thru the process---and his advice was taken into consideration.
The ONE thing that he shared with me was compression versus repeatable & accurate resettings/settings. It brought me back to memory of the old Redfield, which was good technology for the times. When you finally got the old scopes zeroed you wanted to weld them in place----don't change em cause you could not repeat the settings.
I did not just accept his words----I checked em out to make sure I remembered what I remembered. Lo and behold--some boys around the internet grabbed onto those thoughts and agreeed.
I don't care how good the glass is----though the glass gets better as you go up---if you can't zero in quickly and easily it don't make a difference.
In many things----bubble gum don't count----you get what you pay for---and---you are going to have to live with that decision----after you forget what you paid..
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:38:53 AM »
I don't believe there are many scopes being made in Japan anymore.  That said there are lots of great scopes for under $200.00 that are made in China.  It's hard to buy a bad scope these days.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 05:02:26 AM »
I just sighted in a Redfield 2-7x33mm. It is lighter than the equivalent Nikon Prostaff.   Less weight is a sign of Leupold parentage.  The Redfield works fine, but the adjustments feel cheap.  The friction adjustments on my Leupold VX-I's are preferable.  Doubt I'd buy another Redfield Revolution, but I wanted to try it.  

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
I've got a 3-9x40 Revolution on my 22-250 and I like it. It's really clear and lightweight. I plan on getting another one for my 357 and 243 Handi's.

Spanky

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
Land Owner, 

Here is a line of Japanese scopes that has really quite good optics, as is the repeatability of its elevation/windage.  Bargain priced too.  It is the Nitrex by Weaver TR1 or TR2 discontinued models being sold at www.natchezss.com   With Natchez discounted pricing and Nitrex $50 or $100 rebate, you can afford a scope that matches quality of scopes costing a heck of a lot more.  For example, I have a TR2 3-15x42 SF with pullup turrets that had final cost me of $218, after rebate and shipping.  I asked a Zeiss Conquest owner of a 4.5-14X44 SF (about a $850 scope) to sit down with my Nitrex scoped rifle at range and compare it to his Zeiss.  After a few minutes of playing with my Nitrex he found nothing about the scope that he thought was inferior to his Zeiss, in quality of glass for clarity/brightness, how side focus or elevation/windage adjustments worked/functioned and etc.  This has been the general consensus of a number of gents that own Nikons, Leupolds, Sightrons and etc. where I shoot that sat down with my Nitrex scoped rifle.

Here is a Nitrex 3-9x42 TR1, which basically is a Weaver Grand Slam, at Natchez.  Please note Natchez price is $149.95 and with $50 rebate...its $99.95....add about $15 shipping for a final cost of about $115
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE94563&prodTitle=Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »
Here is a line of Japanese scopes that has really quite good optics, ... being sold at www.natchezss.com

Ya know...  :-\  Natchezss won't sell to Jawja residents.   :(  That's the only reason I didn't get one of those scopes Tim was telling us they had on sale.  But!  They are less then a hundred miles from me; streight up I-75.  It just might be worth a road trip!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
I like mine in 3x9x40 Accu- Range and will get another when they come out with a Widfield model.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte