Author Topic: Lyman50 cal maxiball question?  (Read 619 times)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Lyman50 cal maxiball question?
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
Just picked up a Lyman 50 cal maxiball mold with handles at the show.  It has 844 stamped on each side with an additional #17 on one side.  The guy said he used it for his muzzle loaders.  What type of lube should I use for this and has anyone ever used this mold for their muzzle loaders?  I have never used cast bullets in a muzzle loader before.

Thanks for the help.

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: Lyman50 cal maxiball question?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
bullet stuffer if it the same mould I use I have shot lots of them as for lube you can make your own out of crisco shortening and bees wax 50/50 mix works good D Crockett

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
i use 50 percent beeswax 45 percent crisco and 5 percent  olive oil.
blue lives matter

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
If you don't feel like mixing your own, a natural lube like Bore Butter, or Pyrodex Natural Lube works well at keeping fouling soft, and easing loading and maintaining accuracy.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:56 PM »
Bore Butter works fine but I do make my own BP lube (5 parts olive oil to 6 parts beeswax) and use it.  I only lube the bottom lube groove.  I also push my .50 cal MaxiBalls at 1570 fps out of my TC Black Mountain Magnum.  I cast them of 1-16 alloy for that velocity as pure lead does not hold up.  Phot shows 100 yard 6 shot group; 1st in clean barrel and the next 5 from loaders without cleaning or wiping barrel.  Load is with FFG tripple 7.

Larry Gibson

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:43:49 PM »
in cold weather i have used just plain crisco. they will just plain stomp a deer