Author Topic: Pardner???????  (Read 639 times)

Offline gotchamel

• Trade Count: (1)
Pardner???????
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »
Glad I found this site.I will fill out my bio soon,my name is Mel.I have just purchased my second H and R,its a 20 ga pardner,fixed full barrel.My other is a handi-rifle in 223 with a bull barrel.The 20 I want to transform into a dedicated turkey gun,I am interested in having the barrel threaded{the screw in choke guns are not currently available and no production date set}and dont really want a 28" vent rib so I am stuck with threading the barrel.I have spoke to 4 gunsmiths and getting conflicting stories.I am looking at having it threaded to accept the remchoke system or invector system.Any suggestions?Thanks for reading.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Pardner???????
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
I wouldn't do anything to it until you pattern it! Get some Federal Flight Control 3" 7.5's and shoot it and see. Some shells like the more open choke. Personally I shoot Remington Nitro's #5 3" and a super tight choke in an 870, but shoot a few different shells at 30 yards and see what you got before you turn over the money.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
+1 on the Flight Control, I shoot the #7 Heavyweight in my Topper Deluxe Classic with a full choke and get good patterns at 40yds.  ;) So I'd definitely try the FC ammo before spending money on the barrel and choke system.  ;)

And welcome to GBO!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »
What they said ^^^^

You'd be surprised how well different ammo/choke combos can work together. I hunt turkeys with an H&R 16 gauge, fixed MOD choke and got the best pattern with basic Remington Game Load #6 shot that I bought at Walmart. I killed a turkey at 27 yards a couple weeks ago with it and it performed very well. The 20 gauge Pardner I used to have patterned well with a MOD choke and 3" Remington Wingmaster HD #4 shot. It patterned just as well with the Wingmaster/MOD choke setup as it did with a ported extra full choke and 3" magnum turkey loads.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gotchamel

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
Thanks guys,I ordered some hevi 13's in # 6 and # 7 and some federal heavyweight # 7's last night from able ammo,gonna try them before I do anything.Also ordered a stock and forend{black sythentic}fot the gun.I am going to give it a Krylon paint job.Not the receiver or barrel just stock/forend.If I can get a "good hunting"pattern to 35 yards I think I will leave it alone.I will use it as a woods/heavy cover gun.Thanks again.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:59:31 AM »
I think you did well and that you will be pleased with patterns!

By the way welcome to GBO!!!! Forgot to welcome you earlier.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!