Author Topic: receiver hitch game hoist  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Ahlosojoe

• Trade Count: (8)
receiver hitch game hoist
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:26:50 AM »
Well I have discovered I am not the man I used to be and actually never was!

I need info on a receiver hitch game hoist...something to help me lift a deer into the back of my pickup.

Have you had any experience with these that would help me get started.
Does anyone make them in OK?

The Sportsman's Guide catalog has one listed for $89. This is considerable cheaper than most other models I have looked at. Cheap is good but not if it is a piece of light weight junk. Anyone had experience with this one?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: receiver hitch game hoist
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »
Well I have discovered I am not the man I used to be

Hey Joe!  Welcome to the club...  ::)

I need info on a receiver hitch game hoist...something to help me lift a deer into the back of my pickup.

We (my hunting buddy Tommy and I) came to the same conclusion this year.  We got one and he has it strapped to his 4-wheeler trailer.  But our deer season has been so bad we haven't had a chance to use it... YET!

The Sportsman's Guide catalog has one listed for $89. This is considerable cheaper than most other models I have looked at. Cheap is good but not if it is a piece of light weight junk. Anyone had experience with this one?

That's the one we got.  It looks pretty solid, the welds are good, the winch is what you'ld expect for the price but the cable looks like good quality.  Tommy said the swivel feature isn't the best design, something about 2 washers, but works just fine.  He did replace one of pins that join 2 pieces together, one of those through and over cotter pin thingies, with a locking pin for ease of removal but other then that it looks fine.  For the price we are happy.

Oh, a note on service.  The winch handle dropped off one day enroute to the farm.  Never did find it.  Tommy's fault, he never tightened the nut.   ::)  He called the manufacturer to get a replacement and they put one in the mail to him for no charge!   :o  Even after he insisted it was his fault the handle was lost.  Can't beat that.   ;D

Tim built one but Tommy and I figured the time, effort and cost for us to do that wasn't worth it...  :-\  'sides, we're not as talented or well equiped as Tim!   :-[
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
Know that feeling.I've used one of the two wheeled deer carts to load up with.Works pretty good too.You just place the handle in the back of the vehicle and lift up and push.Loaded up  one last year that fielded dressed over 250#.That's all my scale will show.wasn't too bad of a strain by myself.
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline Ahlosojoe

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
Hey  AtlLaw,

Thanks for all the good info on the game hoist. I think I am going to give the Sportsman's Guide version a chance...at least you would have something to start with.

We are having an excellent season this year. I am slightly out of my mind. Here I am 67 years and I bagged a 10 pointer on Nov. 1 that may make Pope and Young!  At least I hope so...will be my first.

Needs to happen soon, I won't be able to climb a tree!! Best regards and good luck with the bucks, Joe

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:13 AM »
Good luck with it Joe.  We still haven't had a chance to try ours out.   :(  Having a real bad season.  But congrats on your buck!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:48:56 AM »
I too looked at the SG hoist (still am and want one). 

On my truck I have a topper with rear hatch and an inset glass door in place of the tailgate.  The hatch opens like the maw of a garbage truck unloading.  The inset glass door is used for people passage and smaller items. 

The topper interferes with "tossing" deer into the truck bed (just try to lift that dead weight and aim for the hatch) and the deer will just not go through the topper's glass door, even if I was twice the man that I think I am, which I am not, to try to stuff them through there.  Bad things would happen.

So the hoist, for me, was investigated but would interfere when the topper hatch was open.  I settled for the 3' x 4' (+/-) expanded metal basket that slides into the standard receiver of the trailer hitch.  Now I off load deer from the golf cart into the expanded metal basket on the truck and drive to the Processor's.  For $49.00 plus shipping, the expanded metal basket from SG was the MOST economical solution.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »
Tim built one but Tommy and I figured the time, effort and cost for us to do that wasn't worth it...  :-\  'sides, we're not as talented or well equiped as Tim!   :-[

Thanks Richard.  ;)

Here's the one I made, I use a hitch mounted rack too since I don't have a pick-up truck, just a Rav4 trucklett, it works excellent for a couple old guys!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »
Here's the one I made, I use a hitch mounted rack too since I don't have a pick-up truck, just a Rav4 trucklett, it works excellent for a couple old guys!!  

Which reminds me, the expanded metal rack does have a receiver on it that will accept the hoist as quick shows and indicates.  The best of BOTH worlds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:07:25 AM »
My rack didn't have a receiver on it, just 2" square tubing which accepts 1½" x 3/16" wall square tubing which is what I made the mount and vertical and arm sections from, the connectors and brace are 2"x ¼" wall tubing. The hoist breaks down into a bundle 24" long, I roll it up in a 3'x7' piece of cotton duck canvas so each piece if individually wrapped so it doesn't rattle in the back of the Rav4.

Tim

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Tow%20Ready/63153.html

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:36:55 AM »
Ouch Quick!  That one is pricey!  Try this one for $49 and change, plus shipping:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=608013  

For $20 you can add lights making this less than $80 for the hitch hauler.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
I did my homework before I bought this one, got the best product for my money, that $50 unit is a lot smaller than mine which is 24"x60", plus it would be too low since it has a straight tube, mine has a 2½" rise which puts the rails just below the swing open tail gate of the Rav4. I'm real happy with mine, they also had free shipping and no tax which counts for a lot. I can make my own lights from old boat trailer lights I have, but I don't plan on hauling anything big enough to block the vehicle lights, two deer at a time weren't a problem, reflectors are just fine.  ;)

Tim

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 02:03:40 PM »
Yes, yes I see how situational purchasing does make a difference and yours has advantages that "work" for you.  In the end, get the one that suits you best.  Cost becomes a lesser factor over utilization, longevity, and satisfaction.

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »
those are nice units. i been planning on building one of those hitch baskets but i could likely buy one almost as cheap
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are