Author Topic: Hunting with RNFPs  (Read 1702 times)

Offline jd45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hunting with RNFPs
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »
Hello to all! First time posting on this forum of GBO. I'm allowed to carry a handgun along with my ML rifle in lower MI this deer season. I'm using a Uberti New Model Army C&B revolver with an R&D .45 Colt Cartridge Conversion cylinder. I have 2 bullets I can load my cases with... the RNFPs & some SWCs. I'm wondering how effective the RNFP is as a game-getter.....I know it was designed to be safer in tube mag rifles. Would I be better off using my SWCs because of their wider meplat? Thanx for your feedback, jd45

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Hunting with RNFPs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »
Generally speaking, bullets with wide meplats are the best hunting bullets.  SWC's do not have a wide enough meplat for anything more than deer and antelope due to a narrow meplat (nose).    If you can find a mold to cast hardcast lfngc bullets, then you can cast your own bullets.  Otherwise, Marshall Stanton over at Beartooth Bullets makes an excellent product.  I have friends that use his bullets for our Florida Swampdemons.  Keep bullet velocities to under 900 fps and your ranges to less than 50 yards and you should have a decent load.   I will give you 3 loads from my Lee Modern Reloading Book:

1. 250 gr lead bullet, 11.5 grs blue dot 890 fps (max 11.5 grs blue dot 890 fps) oal 1.550 inches, 12200 cup

2. 250 gr lead bullet, 9.0 grs hs6 828 fps (max 10.5 grs 946 fps) oal 1.600 inches, 13300 cup

3. 250 gr lead bullet, 8.0 grs unique 850 fps (max 8.0 grs 850 fps) oal 1.550 inches, 11800 cup

These loads should work in your gun, but you should think about upgrading to a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt when it is in the budget.  Handgun hunting with a very warm 45 Colt load opens up a whole new world.  You can then take game up to the size of elk. Hope this helps.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:45:38 AM »
Thanx for the help, Swampthing. In fact I do have some of Marshall's bullets.......the 280gr WFNGC Sledgehammer. I will load some up for practice this Sunday, but I'll have to determine which of the powders I've got & how much of it will give me a standard-pressure, (14,000) load for this revolver. I'm thinkin they'll strike high off the sights, tho. I was intending to use 200gr bullets as they shoot right to the sights in this gun, but I can just hold a little lower if you think a heavier bullet will do a better job on the deer. Thanx, jd45

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:57:18 AM »
I have actuaully taken one deer using the RNFP in  45 Long Colt. A 250 grain bullet fired from a Ruger Black Hawk with  maximum charge on Unique. A complete pass through in the front schoulder area, drt.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
That's interesting, cheesehead.......glad you chimed in. jd45

Offline leadman

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
If the muzzleloader is your primary gun for the hunt and you might use the 45 to finish off a deer I would use what shoots to the sights. The 200gr. bullet should work fine if you keep the range close and have good shot placement.

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
That an interesting question, and probably more arguements about it than you want to read.....

BUT!!!!!

The .45 cal muzzle loader with plain round ball has accounted for more than it's fair share of deer kills. So the rnfp should be just as good or better. Shot placement is way more important than anything.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »
Good point, Gene. Deer hunting didn't start with super bullets. Just put something through the lungs, it will run up to a hundred yards, and proceed to collect your game. Personally, I have seen the .45 Colt do just that with a 225 gr Remington SWC at standard velocity. Deer went about 50 yards. Complete pass through. gun had a 5.5 " barrel I believe.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »
jd45:  round nose flat point slugs from old blackpowder calibers have been taking Whitetail for as long as both have been around.  The round nose flat point is the original bullet for the 45 Colt caliber and your Uberti may prefer that particular bullet design.  Have fun.  This is where it gets good. 

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
I appreciate all your encouragement, guys....thanx. Mikey, your mention of the original .45 Colt projectile being an rnfp was interesting. The meplat on it is so miniscule, I almost regarded it as a pointed bullet. I remember seeing an artillery projectile in a book on the Civil War, & it was identical to the design of the .45 Colt bullet. I guess it was a natural flow from the past. Since modern-day rnfps have at least twice the meplat area as that bullet, I guess it certainly will do the job required of it, should I get a chance to use it, & I am gonna use the 200gr bullet, to have more assurance of hitting POA. Thanx again to you all for the feedback, jd45

Offline S.S.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »
Did exactly what we are talking about here.
Dropped a nice little buck with a .45 cal kentucky rifle.
broke his back but did not kill him. Went to finish him
with a S&W model 1917 (45 Auto-rim). five 230 grain RNFP's
later the deer expired. These were loaded to about 900 fps.
which works out to a bit over 400 foot pounds.
At a matter of a few feet this shoud have done the job
but it didn't. Large meplat for me from then on.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »
Yeah, I've read about guys being hit in gunfights back in the late 1800s with that original-design .45 Colt bullet as well, and being able to keep shooting back, as that pointy projectile plowed on through them without doing much internal damage unless it hit bone or a vital organ. jd45