Author Topic: Sling swivel stud question..  (Read 885 times)

Offline Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
Sling swivel stud question..
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
Hi guys, I checked the FAQ's and didn't see this one. I bought a used Handi but the sling swivel studs are missing. I was wondering if anyone knows what size I need to look for? It's got the basic stock.
Bob

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Sling swivel stud question..
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »
Head down to Wal Mart and buy a set of Mikes swivel studs. They're cheap.

Spanky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
Head down to Wal Mart and buy a set of Mikes swivel studs. They're cheap.

Spanky

Spanky is spot on!! I'll add thet they are standard styled. Some manufacturers may look a bit different, but all are made to work with the Mikes or uncle mikes QD swivels.
 For the handis I use the wood screw style on both the butt and forend. If you haven't done this before the UM package has guidelines. Use a scrap chunk of wood to find a appropriately sized drill. I like 2-2.5" up from the heel of the stock on the butt. Be careful and center the stud. IMHO, nothing looks worse then a crooked stud on a rifle!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Years ago I had a 12ga. with PG stock and plain buttpad (ouch) and wanted to sling it. I also thought a slip-on recoil pad and/or a buttstock shell carrier might be in order, and a stud at the point CW mentioned (about the most common position) would be in the way. Now, I consider a hunting gun will mostly be carried in hand, but once youve bagged you game or are hauling stuff to the Jeep (for CW) a sling can be, well...handi.
One solution would have been to get the slip-on pad on and locate the stud just forward of it and the shell carrier maybe would fit forward? No....it needed to be back over the pad a bit. If the stock had a pad installed the stud could be just aft of the shell carrier? Maybe....but a small hole through the bottom seam for the stud would help hold the carrier in place.
I ended up putting the stud right in the bottom of the pistol grip. The sling had to be short, but worked fine for the occassional carry and the stud was really out of the way most of the time. Yes, the gun wants to shift a bit more toward 'horizontal', but not that big a deal.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
I've got 3 rifles on slingless, or more correctly, slingswivelless stocks.  Three BC Carbine stocks.  I like the convenience of a sling when I need my hands free, yet I don't want to poke holes  in those nice stocks.  I'm thinking of putting lace on primitive slings on them.  I had one on my T/C Seneca for quite a while.  That was not scoped, and at times the sling on the barrel obstructed the view of the front sight.  All 3 BCs are scoped, so that wouldn't be an issue......of course, at this point, I couldn't see the front sight anyhow. ::) ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
I also have one of those Uncle Mike's 'clamp on the barrel' stud mounts that gets it forward of the wood.
That, with a nylon sling from ?somewhere that has a small loop at one end to pull the rest through and wrap around the wrist, then clip the front end swivel up does work OK. I carry it in my gear bag for 'if' needed. No holes anywhere on that nice wood this way.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:03:38 AM »
This is he one I'm picking up for my BC and possibly the carbine, albeit I'll modify the length for the latter.  ;)

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=401&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.