Author Topic: CAN YOU HAVE TO MUCH SCOPE ?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: CAN YOU HAVE TO MUCH SCOPE ?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
Since i don't hunt in Idaho--well since I don't hunt anymore--anything greater than 14X is more than I can use though if I do this 400 yard thing I might take a longer look.
I agree that there are limits--what I am saying is if there is a chance you might could use it once, there is justification.
If idon't use it is it wasteful?
Blessings
No not really.
If you do a 4.5 -14X40 or 50mm even you may want to play games with with your buddies at the range with the card targets.
Build a hand and the 14X will help you pick out the Aces. or the AKQJand 10 of a suit for the royal.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 02:09:54 AM »
Well, here is the good and bad of it all.
I finally got a good day to shoot---yesterday.
I was susposed to have some grandkids sitting duties but that changed at the last minute---good. wind was minimal and 72 degrees--good.
Forgot my range pass with the code to the gate---bad
Had it written down--good
Forgot the shooting bags and rest--bad
Old range bag zipper fouled--bad, but it was a 15 year old gym bag--not so bad & I had a knife--good.
had to buy a new bag--not so bad, it is better than the gym bag.
There was a homemade rest at the range--good.
Remmy Speedmaster shot well--good
Leupold --well, i could not zero it in--ran out of elevation--bad
needs shims and it is at Vandenbergs now---good
I needed--at 50 yards--the 8X to see the holes---bad
I had the 8 power available--good
Actually I used the 10X because I liked it better.
Was shakey off the homemade rest--bad
got to shoot some--Good.
All in all it was a GOOD day---the little problems I encountered are fun to deal with because we don't live in a perfect world and it is fun to learn to adapt and overcome.
Just didn't get a chance to test ammo.
The highest I could raise the scope was--by my mil-dot--1 1/2 inches low.  
And the beat go's on.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 03:43:20 AM »
Get some Burris Z rings with offset inserts. They really work. Here is another suggestion. Write a check list of what to take to the range and use it every time. I learned this from years of drag racing and high power shooting. Now have some fun.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:57 AM »
MP
I would probably forget where I put the list---you can't outsmart stupid. ::) :-X :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 05:10:38 AM »
i use old samsonite hard sewing plastic boxes for a range box my buddys laugh at me they always say did you steal your grams sewing kit i alway laugh back but realy like it everything fits has a handle two locking suitcase style latches i stop at garage sales and buy them every time i got a green,blue,tan but the pink one i get the most flack for but its for the ol ladys .22 range stuff i take it some times just to get a rise out of them works every time boy the guys ras me pretty good but seems everytime they say dam i forgot ? i reach in and pull it out for them i have them set up for the diff guns just leave all the stuff for that gun in it the sand bag binocs and cleaning rod i switch backnforth seems to keep me from forgeting stuff
get one tape a list to the inside of the lid
b44mag