Author Topic: Reloading for belted magnums  (Read 1538 times)

Offline odie072

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading for belted magnums
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »
Question.  I've wanted to reload for several years and I've wanted a 7mm mag for a long time.  The opportunity has arisen to get a very slightly used(3-4 boxes only, I know the history), Winchester model 70 w/scope for $300.

I've always heard that the belted mags are harder to re-size when you reload than a standard round, is that true??  Are they any harder to reload??   Don't know anyone who reloads, so I'll have to rely on ya'll for the answer.  I'm planning on getting the RCBS RC Supreme kit.

What do ya'll think?  Not a question on what I hunt, I don't at the moment, may start back in the future and I may take a couple of 'yotes with it.  The 7mm was my first "big rifle" I shot when I was 12, just fell in love and want one.

Thanks in advance

odie072

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Reloading for belted magnums
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
In my expierence, no they are not any more difficult/easy to reload then any other bottleneck case.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »
Really I hate belted magnums but no they are no more difficult to reload than unelted cases are. For me it's just a matter of the belt serves no purpose except on the two original H&H rounds for the most part. I guess it's not real handicap either I just don't like the useless belt on the case.

As a result of that I've owned a grand total of two belted mag rifles the first an Rem 700 Mtn. Rifle in .300 Win Mag and it just hit my shoulder too hard for me to keep it. I traded it even for another rilfe just like it in .270 Win. which I later gave to my oldest son.

I have a .257 Whby Mag in a R700 LSS which I really like and expect to keep to pass on when I die. I did have a Vanguard so chambered also but it was about as heavy as a boat anchor and the .257WM just doesn't require such a heavy rifle as recoil is quite mild.

Just set your die up to headspace on the shoulder as you should for all centerfire bottle neck rounds that have enough shoulder and you'll never know the difference.

I'd still like my .257 WM a whole long better if the belt weren't there. :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:32:59 PM »
Unlike GB and Scatterbrain I have had trouble with belted mag. reloading. You have to make sure that you size clear down to the belt or they will not chamber. My problem was with a .300 Weatherby mag. and I think the problem was the dies, but I`ve ran into 2 times with that round.

Offline odie072

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
Thanks for your response Guys, believe I'll go ahead and get it.

Thanks again

odie072

Offline Bearcat 74

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
I smoked up the neck and shoulders on the brass and adjust the sizer die until it just bumps the shoulder and I lock it down. 

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
I use a RCBS precesion mic for my 300 win mag. I headspace off the shoulder not the belt. I can check once fired brass to get the headspace specs.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
Oldie, if you know that rifle is in good condition it sounds like a REALLY GOOD deal to me.  I think you are wise to get it.  I think this belted magnum worry is over rated. With modern presses, dies and rifles there is little problem loading the ammo. Let us know how the rifle shoots.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
A belted case is just another case but with a weird looking "rim".
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
Collet neck sizer will solve most of the problems associated with reloading a belted or rimmed case.

Offline odie072

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
Dand, I know the history, it's son-in-laws, he got it for a birthday several years back, shot it several times, but doesn't like the recoil.  I know he said a few others has shot it and I believe he said no more than three boxes and the bore looks very clean and sharp  Never shot reloads, sat in a closet, but he does keep it wiped down and clean.  Probably be end of the month or maybe early next month, but I'm definitely going to get it.  I've always wanted to reload, and with the cost of ammo, seems like a good time to start.

Thanks for all the replies, you've been very helpful. :)

odie072

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
Some people who load for magnums attempt to wring every bit of velocity they can out of their reloads, even to the point of exceeding max loads.  This practice will surely cause problems at some point.  Doubt you can find many people who load there mags at anything below max load.

Been their, done that, don't shoot mags much anymore.  Only use mine for elk about every three years.

Offline odie072

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
Being that I'm going to be new to reloading, I'm not going to push it, what's the rule, start out at 10% below and work your way up.  Don't plan on going over, but I don't mind the "thump".  Actually kinda like it, but, I'm a little warped too. ;D

odie072

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:13:26 PM »
Gunwriters have made careers out of arguing about this kind of crap. It's all pure BS. Just another "reason" for some self-proclaimed "expert" to pontificate from soapbox and try to impress everyone in the world, including themselves.

(I know, stop beating around the bush, and just say how I feel-right?)

It sounds like you're getting a great deal on a very serviceable rifle. If you know how to set up a sizing die, the belt is a complete non-issue.

I have 3 belted  magnums, a 257 Wby mag, a 338 Win mag, and a 375 H&H. All 3 will size and load no different than any of the other non-belted cased rifles that I load for. You will find that this will end up being a non-event once you start reloading.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »
I don't load my 7mm Rem Mag to the max, as I get better accuracy with a grain or two under max....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline odie072

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
Once I get my reloading equipment(probably right after Christmas), I'll post some more questions, I'm sure.  Could ya'll recommend a good how to book or DVD?

Thanks

odie072

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 03:53:13 AM »
I think the how-to section in the beginning of the Lyman reloading manual is one of the best written, and easiest to follow.

I also highly recommend getting several good reloading manuals for references. I probably have 8 or 10 on my bench ( I never throw away reloading manuals).

The manuals put out by the bullet companies will only have that companies bullets listed in the tables. Same thing said about the powder companies and their manuals.

My 3 favorite manuals are Lyman, Sierra, and Nosler, in no particular order of preference.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »
Belted mags are the only rounds I've had that once resized don't always fit another rifle. We finally had to keep rounds sorted by which gun it was shot from.

All that aside, they load the same and are no harder than any other.

HWD

Offline 3006softpoint

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 03:41:56 AM »
Want to add that your choice of press is a good one! :) RCBS Rock chucker supreme will last 2 lifetimes! I am set up for 7mm rem mag  reloading but Still have factory ammo I need to use up. I shoot it very little due to the weight of the rifle to carry for an 8 hour hunt! When I do carry it it usually knocks the game down in short order! (One shot) Most accurate calibur I have ( 7mm rem mag Savage 110 wood stock 9 lbs not a beauty queen a functional TOOL) Dale

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 05:59:47 AM »
Check out
 www.larrywillis.com
The collet die he sells really does work.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 07:00:27 AM »
I have stamped out both 7mm Remington Magnums and 300 Winchester Magnums on my Dillon 550 progressinve with no trouble at all. All ammo produced is accurate and uniform.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.