Author Topic: First cast bullet game kill.  (Read 962 times)

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
First cast bullet game kill.
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
And as such, that does not make me an expert on the subject.

So, just reporting what I experienced earlier this week.

I harvested a white tail buck - yearling - with my RUGER #1s - 45/70, shooting a 355gr LBT/WFN cast bullet ahead of 55gr of RL#7.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehoooooooooo.

Sure wish I could get a bunch more critters this year, as this thing was flat devestating.

I hit a bit high, so did not see the side to side, through the ribs, behind the shoulders hit I desired, rather taking the critter through the spine.

As expected with this hit, the deer dropped instantly to the 100yd shot.

However, what was amaizing was the wound channel.

Let me tell you, a WFN bullet striking at about 2000fps (muzzle is 2290average) leaves something to see.

Would like to have seen what would happen with nothing larger then rib bones in the way.

One other surprising thing was the amount of hair in the wound channel.

Probably because of the bullet being "expanded at impact" rather then beginning expansion as it impacts tissue.

Hate to wait for a year before I can try this again, but from what I have seen, I should have tried cast boolits before I became an Ol'Coot with limited seasons ahead of me.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: First cast bullet game kill.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
Don't know if it was expantion or just the fact that the bullet has a nose as wide as a chevy  ;D does sound like it did its job very well though .

Congrats on the deer , should be some good eat-in .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »
Even'n Stumpy,

Yep, I suspect you are correct and I doubt that there was little or no expansion.

Like you said the meplat is about as wide as a chevy.

As per eat'in, we did about 3/4 of the  meat processing today.  Warmer then I like for meat hang'in, but every thing looked good wheh I took the bag off the critter.

Need to cut up the two hams, and then do the grinding and it will be over for this year, other then possibly helping the kids if they get critters later this month.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
Congrats, I'm jealous. That's my next goal, to hunt with bullets I cast myownself. Thanks for the story!
held fast

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:52:54 AM »
TeamNelson,

Don't know how long you have resided in this world, but I'd say, "get er done" NOW!!!!!!!

I've waited a bit long to start and sure would like to see more results and quickly.

On this site, the Marlin Owners forum and the Cast Boolit forum, plus some others, you will find a wealth of helpfull info as per cast boolits in general and also specifically cast boolit hunting and the rifles/handguns which are favored.

Veral Smith, the sponsor of this thread, makes great molds, but just to stay on his good side don't use the term, "Boolits".

For me, it is all in fun, but us Crusty Ol'Coots do have, and I guess are entitled to, our sore spots.

The mold I used this year was an LBT (Veral's) mold and if this one trial is any indication it is a real thumper!

Keep em coming!

CDOC (Crusty Deary Ol'Coot)
300 Winmag

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
Darrell: Yep. when I went and asked Veral a question, I too used the term "boolits" and was promptly "corrected". So when I talk to him I use the correct term, BUT I'm a Goofyoldfart and still use the term "Boolits" just because I like to stay in context with the CastBoolits boys on their site. ::) ::) ;D

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
Yep, ;D ;D 8) ;), I like, BOOOOOLITS!!!!!!!!!!!!

But ya just need to consider the Ol'Coot part I guess.

Keep em coming!

VERY Crusty Deary Ol'Coot (CDOC)
300 Winmag

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:31:52 PM »
  DD i took my first deer with a self cast 30 cal bullet. Gives ya the warm an fuzzes. When you determined what Alloy to use, Cast it, Sized & lubed it. Loaded to the best accuracy. Than used it on a beautiful wild beast.
  Kevin

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:23:07 AM »
Congrats on the cast boolit critter!

Hope your young enough to get a lot of them. 

The problem with be'in an Ol'Coot, is I probably won't get all my questions answered with the number of critters I may yet harvest.

However, hope to bag a few more to see how those compare with the dramatic results of this season's cast boolit critter.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag