Author Topic: LEUPOLD  (Read 5559 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
LEUPOLD
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:23:44 AM »
This is not ment to start a dart war---but it can if'n that is what you folks want.
I have heard many say that Leupold's are NOT manufactured in America--just built here.
My most recent research indicates that all components are maufactured here--not just assembled.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: LEUPOLD
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:47 AM »
William,

I always thought that leupolds were mtg. Here in the USA. So no argument from me on this one.  :o

Regards,

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:52:40 AM »
It depends on the Leupold.  All scope manufactures buy parts from other parts of the world.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Isn't the glass made in Japan?  Leupold stopped saying made in America.  Don't they just say assembled in America now?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
I'm curious about this as well. I'd like to get a scope for my m4 and looking at the Mark AR but don't see made in USA anywhere.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
Last I heard, Leupolds are made in the U.S. ( Oregon ), but they outsource their lenses, but the lenses MUST meet their very high standards.
Why don't you phone them and ask?
Mark

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:19:09 AM »
The statements I read from Leupold said they manufacture their stuff.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 03:26:08 AM »
From Leupold's website:

"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses.  This is because at this time, there is no American manufacturer that can supply the quantity of high quality lenses that Leupold needs for its annual Golden Ring Optics production.  Leupold’s lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in its state-of -the-art optics lab and then procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards. 

Incoming parts are carefully inspected  in our testing facility before they are accepted into the assembly process.  Incidentally, all major optics producers worldwide acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold.  Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian.  Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years."

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:06:23 AM »
It really doesn't matter to me. If Leupold keeps the same quality overall I have been acustomed to I'm good here. One thing Leupold gives us above the competition is options, especially in reticles. There are better scopes and worse. In the end it's what we want and to what end the optics are for.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 06:30:33 AM »
All the scopes I have presently are manufactured by Leupold.  Any defects I've found have been taken care of by Leupold.  I'm satisfied with Leupold. 

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:11 AM »
Some of the worlds best optical glass is manufactured in Japan.  What do camera pros use?  Nikon and Canon.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 05:32:26 AM »
Only a certain % of the parts must be made in the US to get the Made in USA marking
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
The percentage of purchasers that actually look for and then avoid non-American manufacturers (even due to parts) is probably very small.  What is the point? 

Like avoiding the purchase of gasoline on a given date from this or that supplier, or avoiding them altogether.  Think we can effect any shift in business by our boycotts?  Make ourselves "feel" better?  What's the point? 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
There really isn't a point.
I like to help America stay independent and prosporous.
Thanks for the heads-up onthe glass----it is still glass isn't it  ;).
I think leupold has earned the right to be trusted.
I like doing business with folks I trust.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »
I like to do business with companies that I trust.  But, why pay extra for no reason?  If Leupold made a scope that was comprable to a Nikon for the same money, then I would consider buying it. 
Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 fully multicoated $446
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x40 fully multicoated $349
Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 fully multicoated $377

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
I like to do business with companies that I trust.  But, why pay extra for no reason?  If Leupold made a scope that was comprable to a Nikon for the same money, then I would consider buying it. 
Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 fully multicoated $446
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x40 fully multicoated $349
Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 fully multicoated $377

The big distributors are always running sales on "Refurbished" Nikons and Bushnells.  Don't recall ever seeing Leupold refurbs for sale...

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:42:55 AM »
Funny you should say that Big Eas, as I own a refurbed Leupold. I purchased mine from the local Cabelas bargain cave. At one time they had a bunch of Leupold scopes and just a few of any other brand. Now it is fairly uncommon to find a Leupold in the mix. I figure they sell pretty fast, compared to the >$1000 models that are always available and the ratty $30 ones.

I'm guessing Leupold unloaded a bunch, or Cabellas sold all of their returns through just a few stores at one time. I noticed these shortly after they closed up the outlet store next door.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »
There are other +'s on the VX-3 that are not on the Nikon and Bushnell.
You need to compare apples to apples.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »
alright, I'll bite.  What makes Leupold VX-3 different from the other scopes?  Finger adjustable turrets?  Nikon has them.  4 inches of eye relief on Nikon.......how much do you need?

I have always respected your opinion.  But, I really don't understand the love for Leupold by the general public.  I think that Leupold is popular because people like the company, not because they make the best product.  People like their warranty.  Well, pretty much all of the major players have good warranty service now.  Buying a product because of their warranty reputation is questionable, in my opinion also.

The best thing that Leupold scopes have going for them, in my opinion, is their resale value.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »
the biggest reason i prefer leupolds is in the 40 years ive used them ive yet had to send a single one in for repair. I cant say that about nikon bushnell or burris. Ive had at least two of each of those fail on me.
alright, I'll bite.  What makes Leupold VX-3 different from the other scopes?  Finger adjustable turrets?  Nikon has them.  4 inches of eye relief on Nikon.......how much do you need?

I have always respected your opinion.  But, I really don't understand the love for Leupold by the general public.  I think that Leupold is popular because people like the company, not because they make the best product.  People like their warranty.  Well, pretty much all of the major players have good warranty service now.  Buying a product because of their warranty reputation is questionable, in my opinion also.

The best thing that Leupold scopes have going for them, in my opinion, is their resale value.

blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 03:18:35 AM »
I have a Nikon 2x7 that's a nice scope. Bright and clear. It's going down the road and I've got a Leupold 4x on order with the post & duplex reticle. Leupold better than a Nikon? I don't think they are comparing apples to apples but Leupold has more choices. Nikon dropped one of the best 3x9 scopes made, the Monarch UCC 3x9. They also dropped their fixed 4X and 6X scopes.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 04:06:07 AM »
the biggest reason i prefer leupolds is in the 40 years ive used them ive yet had to send a single one in for repair. I cant say that about nikon bushnell or burris. Ive had at least two of each of those fail on me.

Having owned a gunshop for many years, i've sent a boat load of different brand scopes in for repairs, but VERY FEW Leupolds.  And, that's one BIG reason i put Leupolds on my hunting rifles.  I've hunted in some really out of the way places, and i've NEVER had even one Leupold scope let me down in the bush!  They have been as reliable as a rock!  And i even quit carrying a spare scope on hunts, as when flying into the places i hunted, you always needed to keep the weight as light as possible.

These days for my serious hunting, i buy Zeiss or Leupold, depending on what it will be used for, and the deal i find.

DM

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong---Leupold does make offerings of scopes in all price ranges.
I remember the old compression changes on the Redfield and I just had to move the settings on the Leupold the other night--just to test the waters---and they are better and different thanthe others that I tried when reaching a decision.
Do others offer positive click setting changes---sure do---but like Leupold, not in the price ranges I read about here and there.
AO changes made quick and accurate while sitting on the bench--AO focus.
Easy to lock in focus---lock in.
Clear glass.
I want a 50MM already.
Yes you also ca get these features--but don't compare the price of a piece of glass that does not have these features and say that it is as good or better.
What is the price of a Nikon--compareing feature to feature in like packages?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
I fail to see how these are not fairly compared scopes.  The lowest prices that I have found are listed in my post above.  The Nikon is $100 cheaper than the Leupold.  The models in question do not have AO.  AO was not mentioned.  If you want to compare AO scopes then we could do that too.

The one concession that I will grant as I dislike it too, is the "fast focus" or "European" focus for the eyepiece.  At least my Nikon Monarch UCC has it.  I don't care for it to be adjustable.

There are MANY scopes with positive click settings for the turrets.  Nikons are also finger adjustable similiar to target turrets. 

Like Leupolds all that you want.  Pay more money if you want. 

When I find a used Leupold that is at a decent price then I might buy it.  Until then I will not buy another.

I don't harbor any bad feelings to Leupold as a company.  My one Leupold scope was a VX-2.  The erector system broke.  They fixed it and had it back to me in 8 days (if I remember right).  The scope broke and they fixed it.  Great.  Bushnell has fixed or replaced 2 scopes for me.  I have had a cheap Simmons break too.  Maybe I am just hard on scopes. 

Bottom line to this thread is that you are not going to change your opinion regardless of what specs you read or don't read on the Nikon, Bushnell, and Leupold websites.  The information is there.  The prices are widely available at many retailers.  Leupolds cost more.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
BB
I don't think you read my post correctly.
I KNOW that these options are not privvy to Leupold alone.
What I do read is folks paying $150 dollars for scopes without many of the options offered and saying that they are just as good or better than scopes which cost more but have more options on them.
For $150 you will get a scope with fixed AO, Compression settings, and a less quality scope--than if you pay the tab and get what you want.
Will they do the Job? If that is all you expect.
All I am saying is that I expect more.
Rather than a bunch or scopes that are OK, I prefer to have fewer and have them the way I want them.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 01:08:40 AM »
The human eye can't really use a 50mm scope.

Nikon still makes a fixed 4X but I don't see why. 

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 02:33:56 AM »
The human eye can't really use a 50mm scope.

Huh?  Please explain this one. ???
--Albert Einstein

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 04:59:05 AM »
BB
I don't think you read my post correctly.
I KNOW that these options are not privvy to Leupold alone.
What I do read is folks paying $150 dollars for scopes without many of the options offered and saying that they are just as good or better than scopes which cost more but have more options on them.
For $150 you will get a scope with fixed AO, Compression settings, and a less quality scope--than if you pay the tab and get what you want.
Will they do the Job? If that is all you expect.
All I am saying is that I expect more.
Rather than a bunch or scopes that are OK, I prefer to have fewer and have them the way I want them.
Blessings

ahhh, I got you now.  I see what you are saying.  Some of the scopes that we sell where I work are BSA and the Bushnell Sportsmans.  They are scopes.  They have glass and a tube. 

Whenever cheap people say "as good a Leupold" then I raise an eyebrow.  I think that everyone should buy what they want, but if it is "as good as a Leupold" then they should just save their money for a Leupold. 

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
If exit pupil is determined by the size of the objective lens divided by the power of the scope then a 50mm lens/9 power setting=5.5mm exit pupil.  The human eye has a pupil that is about 4mm so anything exit pupil bigger than that is unnecessary. At least that is where I think that he is going.

On a scope above 14x then the 50mm lens makes sense.  On a 3-9....no. 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 07:53:54 AM »
I think he is confusing thelight gathering ability of a 50mm with magnification power.
I would agree that 50x magnification is a bit of overkill---however, with that magnification one can see what will be coming within the next 6/8 hours. That is a benifit if you are wondering if you have time to take a whizz or smoke a cig---so maybe it aint overkill. 8) :P :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD