Author Topic: stupid question  (Read 594 times)

Offline dlariscey

• Trade Count: (0)
stupid question
« on: November 06, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
alright guys I know this is a stupid question but here goes.  Which do you guys prefer on your 30-30 handi open sights or scoped?

The reason why is this.  When I took my buck the other morning it was at 45 yards and the scope was set on 16 zoom and shooting 1inch to 1.5 inch groups in the bulls eye.  When I pulled the trigger all I could see in the lens was hair.  To the point yesterday I set the zoom back to 10 and shot the rifle at 100 yards.  First 3 shot group was 3inch low and 2 inchs right.  Redialed  the scope.  Next group was .5inch low and 2 inches left.  Redialed.  Next group was 1.5 inchs high and 2 right.  Every group had a flyier.  Needless to say I feel like I'm back to square one and am thinking about taking the scope off to shoot open sights.  The scope in question is a Center Point 6-16x40 mil-dot illuminated rectile.  I've checked the scope and the rings and base are tight.  The rifle was dry and had a fouled barrel from the deer I shot last Saturday.  Although when the rifle was originally set it was about 85 degrees yesterday it was around 55 degrees.  I'm about ready to say to heck with a scope and go open.   

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: stupid question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
If my eyes were as they should be, I would never use a scope.  Unfortunately, age and nature have mandated I will.  I am not familiar with Center Point scopes, but it is common among lower price scopes for the poi to shift as the power ring is turned.  My suggestion is buy a fixed power scope, or spend the big bucks for a Nikon or Leupold or such.  I've gone with fixed in most instances.  JMO...

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
Us old geezers with bad vision need a scope, but a 30-30 used for deer hunting needs no more than 6x maximum magnification and 2.5 is enough.  A fixed 2.5 will be tougher, smaller and lighter than an equal quality large variable.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
A Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 sat on my handi-rifle and it was plenty.
It's compactness and liberall eye relief made my handi even more handi.
Shot bucks on 1.5x and on 4.5x.

I plan on trying open sights on my Ruger #1 early in the season while the leaves still prevent you from seeing more than 50 yds around here.
But with trifocals, I have to pick what I am going to focus on.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
Another vote for older eyes and really liking a scope because of it,,
I have that same CP scope you have mounted on my 223 and it works fine, no matter where I dial it.

But, I would never trust it on anything bigger.(period) I actually bought it as a novelty, and because several members here had good words about it. I actually expect it to fail (knock on wood). The advice for a low multi or fixed power scope on the 30-30 is good. When it comes to optics you quite literally get what you pay for. That CP scope has alot of "Bells and Whistles" on it for the 69.99 price tag. ::)
 I had trouble getting good groups with a weaver scope, it ended up needing repair, a spring inside broke.

There are a few tips in the faqs that will help secure the scope rail, one being removing the factory rail, cleaning the factory "lock tite" from the holes, bedding the rail,,etc,,,,  8)

I mean if your good with open sights, and they'er better than the scope you have then by all means use them  :) ;)
found elsewhere

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
IF your base and rings are on tight, then you have a very bad scope...really that easy. Like mentioned above, for most big=game hunting, a fixed 4X will do for about 99% of all shooting, a big enough field of view for close-in shooting, and enough power for shooting as far a most folks should be shooting. Sadly, they have pretty much fallen from favor, due to much more sexy scopes out there, with big power, etc.
For shooting varmints at ranges from close to very far, then a GOOD high-power comesinto play.
One problem some beginning shooters have, is choosing too much power. They shoot at targets from a bench, with a solid rest, and the higher power really helps with percission aiming, but in the field, with at best a make-shift rest, things are much different.
Bottom line is get a fixed scope, probably 4x is best, or get a good variable, with a power range of say 2-7 or 3-9. For big game, you don't need mil-dots, adjustable objective, etc. KISS.
Mark

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
Consider your cartridge capability, game, and terrain. Out west and across canyons with a 7mm or 300 mag, maybe that much scope for some, but a lot of grey, old timers (oops, now I be one) did great there with an '06 and 4 or 6X.
In the woods and to 30-30 ranges (and consider the average deer is taken at about 35yd.) less power (I like about 2ish) and bigger field of view is always better. And , for me, the fewer lines and dots, etc on the 'lens the better. The advantages the scope will have, even if you have good vision, is only one focal point to get on the target, the ability to see twigs and such in your line of fire better, and light gathering ability.
FWIW, if you follow the advise of the above posts and this, when you get into the woods early or stay late, take a peak though the scope. If you cant see the crosshairs, its too dark to shoot at a respected game animal.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »

I bought a couple of the new Weaver K-4 scopes a while back from Sports South for about $130 ea.

My eyes aren't as young as they used to be and a scope give me better vision in dim light.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
I only own one rifle that doesn't have a scope on it, and thats a 1906 Spanish mauser. My 30-30 handi wears a Nikon Pro Staff 2X7X32. When i'm in the woods or heavy brush I crank the power down. Open fields I turn the power up.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
Thats what Im talkin' about........gotta be nigh on to ideal!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974