Author Topic: Polymers Are Not Plastic!  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Polymers Are Not Plastic!
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
This is just part of an article published in Guns & Amo Handguns. Just some info for those who like to bash so called "plastic handguns";

Everyone knew that real firearms were made from steel and walnut. They warned us that polymer handguns ("Tupperware pistols," as some liked to call them) would quickly wear out, degrade, melt or dissolve and scoffed at the notion that plastic could be as tough as steel. Despite these dire predictions and downright hatred directed toward them, polymer-frame pistols quickly became the hottest items on the police handgun market.

And for good reason. Modern polymers provide equal, if not superior, resistance to wear, abrasion, solvents, oils and environmental extremes as steel and alloy-frame pistols. The frames can be molded into a variety of ergonomic shapes that do not require separate grip panels, permitting them to use high-capacity magazines without increasing the bulk of the grip, making them adaptable to persons with smaller hands. They are lighter than steel or alloy, which is a big plus when you have to lug one around for eight or 10 hours a day, and they have the added advantage of flexing under recoil, absorbing some of the recoil pulse so they shoot softer than heavier handguns.

According to recent studies, it is estimated that more than 60 percent of American police officers now carry some sort of polymer-frame pistol. It didn't take civilian shooters long to recognize that the same features that made polymer pistols so practical for police service made them equally adaptable as home-defense, concealed carry, trail and competition handguns. Today almost every handgun maker of note offers a pistol with a polymer frame.

Here is the link to the entire article for those who care to read it;  
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/polysh_032707/#cont

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Polymers Are Not Plastic!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:13:32 AM »
Well, call it what you will but plastic is plastic. I will agree that there are huge variations in the quality of plastics used for any job. I will also agree that the plastic framed guns seem to work just fine.

Seems to me the term plastic is used to denigrate the pistol. Sounds like PC speak has reached the gun mfg and writers world.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:08:39 AM »
Exactly! My point is that there is a big differance between hard as steel polymers and what most people think of as plastics. Many like to confuse the types intentionaly in order to try and justify their trashing weapons with polymer frames without really having a clue as to what they are talking about. Their only real reason being they simply don't like them, not that they aren't good firearms. I find it rather strange, that the majority of those trashing polymer framed handguns, most likely have polymer stocked rifles and shotguns because of their durability and light weight. They obviously think their choices of handguns should be the only choices for everyone and Heaven forbid that facts get in the way or someone else should think differantly. I too love a beautifuly made weapon. I believe they are a form of art. However, in choosing a self defense weapon pretty wasn't an issue. In choosing my primary CCW cary I read tons of reviews, talked to anyone and everyone that I could, and considered both all metal and polymer framed handguns. The reviews and feedback of the one I chose was nothing short of outstanding. I've rarely heard as much good said about any one single firearm.  It has been tested against many high dollar metal framed handguns by both private owners and firearms magazines as to accuracy and reliability, out performed every single one, and guess what? It has a polymer frame. Is it for everyone? No, but nor is any other single handgun either so don't trash another's choice simply because it's not your's.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »
Never saw any tupperware that didn't have steel parts.
It is not that I don't like plastic guns--but--well, er--oh hell, I just don't like plastic guns.
 :D ;D :o :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »
Never saw any tupperware that didn't have steel parts.
It is not that I don't like plastic guns--but--well, er--oh hell, I just don't like plastic guns.
 :D ;D :o :-*
Blessings

::) And I don't like heavy, bulky, hard to conceal and uncomfortable to carry, way over priced guns so I guess we're even. ;D :D By the way, do all your rifles and shotguns have wood stocks? Be honest now.

Offline ejpaul1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
I am an engineer, industrial to be exact, and people dont think a thing of preferring carbon fiber over steel and even calling it superior. What is carbon fiber? basically carbon woven cloth but it does no good without the part A and B material that encases it. Folks dont think a thing of aircraft grade aluminum which is a mixture of metals called an "alloy". Polymer frame guns are a blend of different fibers (think fiberglass) blended with epoxy type materials, So, think of tupperware guns as a "polymer alloy" if you will. Me? I like 1911's, steel ones to be exact. But you know what I carry? an XD45 compact. EJ

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:32:42 PM »
When I ask what it is I get this from a search:

Long chain organic molecules that are made from numerous small molecules are known as polymers. Synthetic polymers are commonly known as plastic which is used in packing, building and many other uses.

Guess polymers really are plastic.  Plastic and paint have no place in real guns.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:48 AM »
When I ask what it is I get this from a search:

Long chain organic molecules that are made from numerous small molecules are known as polymers. Synthetic polymers are commonly known as plastic which is used in packing, building and many other uses.

Guess polymers really are plastic.  Plastic and paint have no place in real guns.  Larry

Read the short version and that's what you get. You left out the part about how they can be as strong, or stronger, than steel and much more durable. How true polymers are much differant than most peoples perspectives about common plastics. But then all that don't fit your well thought out argument, "Plastic and paint have no place in real guns." does it? I guess all the satisfied customers who own, not just synthetic stocked handguns but rifles and shotguns too, are all wrong huh? Just because you don't like them?  I could just as easily say, heavy, bulky, over priced all metal handguns have no place as a conceal carry weapon or such rifles and shotguns have no place as hunting weapons because they rust, scar and scratch easily and are not wise choices for carrying over rouigh terrain or in bad weather. But then I'd be just as wrong as you wouldn't I! I'm willing to bet that if you own, or have owned, many firearms in your life more than just a few have had synthetic, oops, "plastic" stocks. Probably own a rifle or shotgun with one now. If not, you probably don't own many firearms. Whatever you care to call them, and despite your bias, the fact remains that they have proven their worth, owners are quite happy with them, and that in many cases they actually out perform your all steel guns. Some people don't just own guns to look at, they own them to do a job, and polymer weapons have been doing their job well enough that both law enforcement, the military, competition shooters, and thousands of hunters are all quite satisfied and prefer them. Those stats say your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 06:08:39 AM »
Sure doesn't matter to me, if you are satisfied with a painted plastic gun I am happy for you.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Sensai

• Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 06:24:10 AM »
I'm sure glad that I have a choice.  I love the look and feel of a beautifully polished blued steel reciever and barrel set into a meticulously crafted and well fitting walnut stock with rosewood fore-end tip and pistolgrip cap.  I can't help but to pick it up when I go into my safe to get the plastic stocked, stainless steel rifle to go pop a few coyotes.

Point being; everything has it's strengths and weaknesses.  If you don't like an item, vote with your wallet.  Stating your choice is well and good.  Condemning someone else's choice, because it's not like yours, is another matter entirely.  If we were all alike, life would be extremely boring!
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 06:25:56 AM »
Sure doesn't matter to me, if you are satisfied with a painted plastic gun I am happy for you.  Larry

Thanks. Fact is I own both types of firearms. I love a beautifly grained wood stock. But, when it comes to doing a job where weight, size and durabilty play big factors, I'll take the polymer stocked weapons every time. Just my preferance backed by over 40 years of handling firearms in military, law enforcement and as civilian for self defense and hunting. I have a Thompson Center Encore .270 that I won as part of a hunting trip prize with Dave Watson. It came with a beautifly grained walnut stock. I took a pronghjorn in Wyoming with it and have taken many Whitetails as well. It gets carried on ATV's, over some mighty rough terrain, and in rain, sleet and snow. After a couple such trips that walnut stock came off while it still remained pretty. it currently resides in the drawer of my gun cabinet. The Encore now has a synthetic stock and all those things that concerned me with the fancy walnut stock are no longer a concern. :)

Sensai, well said and exactly my point! :)
Compare firearms to cars. You can sure apreciate a Mercedes but you wouldn't haul bricks nor construction supplies in the back seat of one would ya? No, you'd use a pick up. If I asked why the answer would be rather obvious wouldn't it? One is for looks and the other to do a job. Sensai's point about which rifle stays in the cabinet and which gets carried in the field to do a job says it pretty well.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 07:28:40 AM »
Spirithawk
I have a lot of different grips on my guns---
All the long guns but one are wood.
All the handguns have a variety: Wood, antler, rubber, paper, aluminium, Ivory.
I did not say that polymer was no good--it its good---just like Glocks are very good guns----however----You won't find a Glock in the closet.
Probably will not ever find another--less someone just wants to give me one.
I am an ornery, hardheaded ol SOB, I know.
Blessings
 ;D :-*
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:49 AM »
Spirithawk
I have a lot of different grips on my guns---
All the long guns but one are wood.
All the handguns have a variety: Wood, antler, rubber, paper, aluminium, Ivory.
I did not say that polymer was no good--it its good---just like Glocks are very good guns----however----You won't find a Glock in the closet.
Probably will not ever find another--less someone just wants to give me one.
I am an ornery, hardheaded ol SOB, I know.
Blessings
 ;D :-*

[I am an ornery, hardheaded ol SOB]....Aint we all? ROFL
Hey, if that's what you like then more power to ya.  :) My only point is that polymer firearms do have a place in the scheme of things and I'm not going to trash anyones choices but nor will I sit back if they try to trash mine. I have an exceptionally beautiful double barrell 12ga in my gun cabinet. As expensive as it is beautiful. It's a true work of art but it seldom sees any real use. I only keep it because it was a cherished gift.  My son and I both have weeded out firearms that we just bought because they were beautiful and expensive. Most of our weapons see hard use and our choices portray that. Durable and reliable is what we both need and demand or we simply don't have much use for it. Not everyone has the same tastes nor needs. Wouldn't the gun shows be boring if they only had one type of firearm?   :D Vintage firearms I tend to look more towards beauty. But those are investments not every day users for most folks.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
I like Steel myself. but you carry a chunk of steel
far enough and for long enough, those poly-pistols
start to look pretty good.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 02:16:15 PM »
I like Steel myself. but you carry a chunk of steel
far enough and for long enough, those poly-pistols
start to look pretty good.

My PF-9 9mm weighs 18.2 0z. fully loaded 7 + 1. My P-32 .32 weighs 8oz with 7 + 1. I can, and do, carry both with combined weight being less than most other single handguns carried for Concealed carry self defense. That means they are both always with me while many guy's I know leave their handguns in their cars or at home and I can, and do, easily hide both by simply pulling my shirt tail over them. The simple fact that so many firearms manufacturers tripped all over themselves in a rush to copy Kel Tec speaks volumes. As I've previously said,  I have seldom ever read so many outstanding reviews about any single firearm as I have the PF-9. Read various reviews of handguns and you'll read the words, accurate at most self defense ranges, over and over again. That simply didn't satisfy me at all. What do you do when the range goes beyond that? Trust me it can. How about a conceal carry handgun that is accurate out to 50 yards? Up steps the little PF-9! Even though most self defense shootings occur at 10 yards or less that is still a very comfortable thing to know. Whether a person likes, or dislikes polymer framed handguns, the accuracy and reliability of cartridge feed of the PF-9 places it very high up on the list of a good self defense handgun. I'm of the mind of why limit yourself to wood and steel or polymer either one? Why not cover all bases and own both!  ;D Just remember. It don't have to be pretty to save your life! :)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
I don't have any handguns so I can't say from personal knowledge as to how they perform or carry or etc.  I admire polymer handguns... they have come a long way and are definitely here to stay. Personally I don't really like the looks of a polymer gun... I guess I'm of old school because I really like the looks of revolvers. Ruger Redhawks look pretty good to me. Like I said... nothing against poly guns I just like the wheelguns better.
I can see the point of the high capacity poly guns for police use and such though... weight is an issue if you gotta carry it all day.

Spanky