Author Topic: What bullet/powder recomendation? 308win, 1in9" twist, 22" barrel  (Read 542 times)

Offline Ultra25-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Wish I was Hunting, getting closer. Spring bear.
I got curious about my wifes Remington M700 in 308 win. It is a plain jane m700 barrel is 22" and marking is AX so I am dating it as a 2003. It originally had a synthetic stock. My guess it is a ADL. I checked the twist rate 6 times and it came out as 1 in 9". This seems strange to me for some reason as far as I have found Remingtons 308 win are usually 1 in 10" or 1 in 12". Any how I want to load what would be the potentially most accurate hunting round/target round for her without breaking the bank. So again the specs are 308 win with a 1 in 9" twist and 22" barrel. What weight bullet and what brand would you use for a big game/target rifle? How about powder? I look forward to the replies particularly any shooting a 1in9" twist 308 win. Thanks. P.S. I will also be posting this same question on a couple other forums to broaden my answers.
What did you do today...for Freedom?
Today, at the front, he died...Today, what did you do? Next time you see a list of dead and wounded, ask yourself: "What have I done for freedom? What can I do tomorrow that will save the lives of men like this and help them win the war?"
Taken from WWII poster, still applies today.
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
Re: What bullet/powder recomendation? 308win, 1in9" twist, 22" barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:01:05 AM »
In every .308 I've ever used, my go-to load is 43.0 grains of RL15 with a 168 grain bullet and a large rifle primer.  Some rifles shoot it great, some shoot it okay, but they all shoot it well enough as a hunting load.  It's a good place to start.

The one thing to remember is that all bolt action rifles are a law unto themselves and whatever works in my rifle might not work in yours.

Go to the Hornady website and use their Reloading Data Center.  It'll give you lots of good recipes for the caliber.

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »
My 308 is an old FN Mauser, I've never even checked the twist rate, but my favorite load for it is a max. charge of Varget and a 165 grain Hornady SST or Interbond.  The SST's shoot just under an inch at 100 yds. and the Interbonds shoot just over an inch.  Varget has a similar burn rate to RL15 so that would be a good powder to try as well.  I've also worked up an acceptable hunting load using those same bullets and H414 if you'd rather use a ball powder.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:01:43 AM »
+1 for Varget and RL 15
I've found that BLC2 works very well also with lighter weight bullets.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
"for her without breaking the bank"

OK, that part is key, good advise above.
165-168 bullets, the Hornady 165 BTSP and 165 FBSP both work well in my 1-10
Higer end charges (so you can have reasonably full cases) of Varget, RL15, IMR4064 all work. It's just a matter of finding the load for yours. With Hornady at least you get 100 bullets per box so there's plenty for load development and still have some for making useable rounds, Can't go wrong with Sierra Gamekings either.
I found 2 accuracy nodes useing the Varget with the 165FB one at a mid range charge of 41.8 then another near max the of 44. I opted for the heavy charge but the lower node may be better for the ladies.

Hodgons lists on their web sight Youth and Ladies reduced recoil loads using H4895, it's the only powder they recomend for such reduced loads.

found elsewhere

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
I load a 130 gr Gameking ( I think ) for my daughter in law . Saves on the shoulder . For deer it works well .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
I don't know what twist rate is on my old 788, but it'll shoot from 110 to 180 gr bullets pretty well. I've been loading 150gr Rem Corelokt bullets, for about 2 years, with a variety of powders. 110 gr HP or 130 gr bullets in front of some IMR3031 or WIN 748 are light shooting and accurate.

HWD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
With the new better construction lighter bullets are comming on the market that work really well. I will be tryinf 110 gr. bullets on deer in a 6.8 . Have use 100 gr. bullets for 20 years in a 25-06 . Why go heavy on deer when its not needed ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Ultra25-06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
Well, we tried light bullet weights with her gun but it hated anything under 150 grains this twist may explain that. 165-168 were only ok. How do you acces the Hornady load data? We picked up some 180gr SST she wants to give a try. None of my load books have the SST listed. I just cant seem to find the data on the site, I was going to pick up the Hornady book but they were out.
Today, at the front, he died...Today, what did you do? Next time you see a list of dead and wounded, ask yourself: "What have I done for freedom? What can I do tomorrow that will save the lives of men like this and help them win the war?"
USAF
Proud NRA member.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »
Hornady makes very little load data available on-line;
http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/load-data

They want you to buy the book.
found elsewhere

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
Probably meant Hogdon website ;D
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 12:34:30 AM »
i mostly use the 150 sierra or 150 hornady spitzers and either 414 or 4895
blue lives matter

Offline Ultra25-06

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »
Hornady makes very little load data available on-line;
http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/load-data

They want you to buy the book.

Thats kind of what I come to the conclusion of. I may just ask for it for from the wife as I am starting to use Hornady bullets more and more the seem to be priced well and preform well.
USAF
Proud NRA member.