Author Topic: 94 front sight hood  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
94 front sight hood
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »
I'm interested in a 94 but the rifle did not come with the hood for the front sight, It's a 1940's model with flat barrel band, does the missing hood is common?

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 94 front sight hood
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:06:44 AM »
I think your askin if the hood missin is a common thing, and yes it is. I took my off as soon as I got it. It was bought new in 1958, and I'm sure the hood is round here somewhere.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline PawPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »
If your 94 has a ramp with grooves for a hood, you can get one from several places.

Brownell's has one for $5.99

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:37:10 AM »
Dixie Gun Works used to have quite a bit of stuff for the '94 and probably still do.

Out of curiosity does anyone know when Winchester started putting the hood on the '94? I have one made before 1920 and it doesn't have a hooded front sight, just a blade with no grooves and a buckhorn rear sight.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
I don't know when, but hoods are only installed onto rifles with front sights mounted in ramps, and not on rifles with front sights mounted directly in a barrel dovetail.........................

If a rifle has a front sight ramp,  ungrooved on the sides for a hood, then it was never issued with one.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
dont worry about the hood.....bought my 94 in 1977 at davidsons in g'boro..i went through every box they had and picked out the one with the prettiest walnut......now about the hood..............the best thing i ever did was to take off that hood......when its near dark i could not see the fron sight with that hood on.............now i can.....plus it blocks out part of the game you are after............i dont like the hoods.........mack