Author Topic: Do Lefties gravitate toward unique guns more often than the other 95% of the pop  (Read 2238 times)

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
I was not much interested in rifles until I discovered the Handi, which is somewhat unique. Then  I discovered the Ruger No.1  and now have two of them, one being an RSI, which is about one of the most unique mass production guns out there.  I had a Savage 110DL; shot great but was boring; sold it.

I see DM with his drillings and his T-bolt.

Think there is anything to the premise?

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Do to it being more practical I think us lefties gravitate more toward lever actions and single shots. There are few left hand choices in bolt actions. My CFs are a highwall, Handi, left hand Savage bolt and a Win. 94.
GuzziJohn

Offline Snowwolfe

I don't own any lever or single shots. All my rifles are either left handed bolts or double rifles.

Offline PowPow

I don't own any lever or single shots. All my rifles are either left handed bolts or double rifles.
Yeah, but doubles are pretty unique...
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
How can a double be Unique?
When Unique is singlular.   :D
The Browning made Hi Wall 1885 has an ejection angle.
You can make it eject to the right or left or stop in the action.
The Walther P-38, P-1 and P-5 all eject to the left.

Offline PowPow

How can a double be Unique?
When Unique is singlular.   :D...
ok...they are Du-nique.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I'm left handed, but shoot right. But I'm still attracted to different guns - win 71, Marlin 41 mag, 41 mags in general, Ruger 1.

I have a Walther P38 but never noticed it ejected left.  I'll have to pull it out and run a few rounds - it was my dad's war souvenir and I mostly let it collect dust.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
If I find a left handed bolt action it always seems that I buy it, had a buddy who owns the town outdoor store he would always look for them for me. But I tend to go with the larger caliber guns that people don't get sense there's no common use for them. Don't know if that counts as unique or not.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
I'm left-handed and have always been partial to leverguns.  Right now the only bolt rifles that I own is a Winchester 70 compact, a right-handed model, and a CZ 22.  I had a lefty Model 70 but gave it to my niece's husband, who's also a lefty.  That gun, with scope, was heavier than what I wanted to lug around in the woods, but he likes it.  Us lefties are inherently adaptable I think.  I've always preferred right-handed bolt guns when I use them, and I know a couple of other lefties who feel the same way.  The positioning of most safeties, being on the right, just seem to be handier in terms of where the thumb of the left hand is located.  As for a speedy second shot, if one aims for a good first shot it really isn't much of an issue, is it?  :)

Offline Drilling Man

I think the only reason L handers guns look unique, is because there's not always a lot of that model made.  BUT, if you want to see unique, here's one for you...

It's a LH "centerfire" T-bolt action, chambered in 25/20 WCF,

It was an idea i had, and a friend and i made it,

DM

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Hey that T bolt sound very interesting - you could do an article on that.  Keep us posted on the outcome!
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
We look for unique because that is the only choice we have.  Also, try to sell or trade a left hand action rifle (bolt action or left hand ejection), you will take a beating especially in a gun shop. 

Drilling man, I like that .25-20 T-bolt conversion. Keep us informed. 

Offline PowPow

...Also, try to sell or trade a left hand action rifle (bolt action or left hand ejection), you will take a beating especially in a gun shop...

I sold a LH Savage 270 in about 30 seconds for the price I wanted (same as what I paid for it).
The reason was I knew the guy was LH when I offered it to him.
A lot of lefties will buy something just because it is LH. That's why I bought it.
He still comes by and tells me how much he likes it.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Mostly Handi's recently because I like single shots.  Win 94 in my youth.   One LH Savage 110 but I haven't shot it recently. 

I'd go for a double, but still need LH cheekpiece and opposite cast off stock, so it's essentially a LH gun.

All my airguns are custom LH.  And bows of course.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline PowPow

...All my airguns are custom LH...

Cool. I'm going to need to see some pics.

Offline cabledad

• Life Member of the NRA Cable Pioneer
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
I am right handed (68 years old) and have never shot right handed.I can wink my right eye but not my left I shoot a right hand bolt action just about as fast as anybody else even though I am dropping it down to work the action.Thats the way I learned at a young age to do it and anything else would be difficult.I shot my m 14 left handed in the army but took bayonet training right handed. Shoot a pistol right handed.My Dad was a left handed carpenter that I kidded a lot about being wrong handed.Just thought I would tell you guys.Chuck