Author Topic: Problem With My Powder Trickler  (Read 893 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Problem With My Powder Trickler
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
For some reason my usually trouble-free OHAUS powder trickler has started not trickling.  Every powder I put in iit sticks to the sides and bottom of the reservoir and it won't though the threaded tube.  I can hardly remove powder from it even when I knock it up against my work bench.  The tube and body are (I think) made out of aluminum.  Am I experiencing static electricity problems?  Is there something I can wash the thing in that will cure the problem?  I have had this trickler for probably 30 yrs. and, to my recollection, have never experienced this problem before.  I figured back during the summer the problem was excess humidity in the air but that certainly shouldn't be the case now.  Anyone else ever experienced such a problem?

Offline Siskiyou

Re: Problem With My Powder Trickler
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
I have the used same powder trickler close to 40-years and have not experience the static clinging problem.  My unit has a plastic body with a treaded aluminum tube. A couple of cleaning ideas come to mind.

Wash the unit using a liquid anti-static laundry supplement or try washing the unit out with a vinegar-water solution.  I would use my air compressor to blow out the tube afterwards.  Another option is to use canned air.  We always have that around for the computers.

Quote from Wikipedia:
The flowing movement of finely powdered substances or low conductivity fluids in pipes or through mechanical agitation can build up static electricity

Has the electrical environment in the area you use the trickler changed?  Static electricity is a safety issue in ammunition, explosive plants, refueling aircraft and other actives where flammables are used.  Sounds like you might have an issue.  A grounding plate wired to a cold water pipe might be an answer.

A nearby clothes dryer could be the monster.

If you have a metal reloading bench you might consider grounding it.

Except for fasteners my large reloading bench is of heavy wood construction.   

Thanks for your post; you will have me looking for warning indicators in my reload area. 

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:36:18 PM »
" Am I experiencing static electricity problems?  Is there something I can wash the thing in that will cure the problem?'

Well just plain soap and water can go along way.

Try wiping things down with a dryer sheet, I hafta do that every once in a while with my RCBS charger.
found elsewhere

Offline wncchester

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:18:05 AM »
Static.   Moisture in the powder.   Oil vapor in the air that has condensed on the tumbler's surfaces.  All possible.  Clean the trickler with a strong detergent and allow it to air dry.  Check the powder for moisture content by pouring some of it on a clean, dry sheet of paper and tilt the paper to see if it slides around without clinging/clumping.  

I got so disgusted with commercial tricklers I made my own.  Used a 4" section of 1 1/4" brass drain pipe, a sink "tail piece" for the body (shut up now, that's what it's called!  :D ).  I filled the bottom couple of inches with lead.  Used a 5" x 1/4" diameter section of auto antenna type tubing and a Radio Shack plastic knob for the feed tube.  Epoxied the body on a 3" square of 1/2" steel for a base.  It's heavy enough to be stable and works quite smoothly, much unlike any light weight tricklers with aluminum tubing.  It's easy to clean too.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:35:05 AM »
For some reason my usually trouble-free OHAUS powder trickler has started not trickling.  Every powder I put in iit sticks to the sides and bottom of the reservoir and it won't though the threaded tube.  I can hardly remove powder from it even when I knock it up against my work bench.  The tube and body are (I think) made out of aluminum.  Am I experiencing static electricity problems?  Is there something I can wash the thing in that will cure the problem?  I have had this trickler for probably 30 yrs. and, to my recollection, have never experienced this problem before.  I figured back during the summer the problem was excess humidity in the air but that certainly shouldn't be the case now.  Anyone else ever experienced such a problem?

Quick and easy way , take a couple of " used " dryer sheets , wipe everything down inside and outside , this will kill all the static so powders will flow again .

I do this to mine every couple weeks now and have never had another problem .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 07:48:09 AM »
Everyone beat me too it. I use mommas dryer sheets too!!

LoL BTW
Mice hate them!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
...Quick and easy way , take a couple of " used " dryer sheets , wipe everything down inside and outside , this will kill all the static so powders will flow...

Thanks, but how do you wipe down the threads on the inside of the tube?  Like I said, in addition to powder sticking to the inside of the reservoir it won't seem to enter and go through the tube.