Author Topic: Compact 9mm Semi-Auto, Over the 40?  (Read 951 times)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Compact 9mm Semi-Auto, Over the 40?
« on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:34 AM »
  I know I don't need another gun but I've been dreaming of a p2000sk H&K with an LEM trigger lately. It's a rather pricey gun so it's just a dream so far. Usually the specifics are clear to me, though in this case I'm not sure if I'd go with a 9mm or a 40. Some thoughts are, less recoil with a 9mm in the compact semi, holds more rounds, which I like. I do have more 40 stuff around though, when it comes to reloading & even 12 round mags for my USP 40c.

Looking at ballistics the 9mm seems to be on par or better than many 38spcl rounds. I know there is a wide range of load types for each. I have an assortment of 5 shot "J" frames, down to the 12 oz 340PD in 357. For that reason I may not need to shell out the $800 for one of these p2000sk compacts. I de have a bunch of 'woods carry' guns & it would be that & future CC here in WI.

I do reload most of my ammo, so I could tame the 40 some if need be. The 9 seems to have fallen out of favor for a number of years. I had a 92 out not to long ago & enjoyed it, though the 92 is a little big & heavy. Any p2000sk owners? How about the 9mm in a compact semi?? Also the p2000sk may not be worth it when one has a USP 40c, not much to be gained for the $800+ price.
NRA, Veteran

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Compact 9mm Semi-Auto, Over the 40?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:18 AM »
I've owned a SW 3914 for years.  It easily fits in a jacket pocket and is totally reliable.  They don't make them anymore, but I'd recommend that you look for one and check it out.  The stainless model is the 3913.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:39:54 AM »
I think your last sentence says it all... "Also the p2000sk may not be worth it when one has a USP 40c, not much to be gained for the $800+ price."
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:32:04 AM »
 Yeah, I know & will try to hold off unless some great deal drifts my way.
NRA, Veteran

Offline DC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:11:07 AM »
I have two, a Taurus PT 908 and a new FN-FNX 9.  I moved away from a beautiful Para 16-40 because for a CCW it was just to heavy.
Also, I like being able to come back on target which I find is much faster with the 9mm.  The other huge advantage for me is that there is a ton of ammo to be had for 25-30 less $$ than 40's.
It terms of self defense, the whole endless "stopping power" discussion is just that, endless.  It is what you can shoot most comfortably on the first shot and follow up shots.  If it is a carry weapon, weight, profile and plain old comfort are important as well.
Perhaps on a par with everything else or maybe the #1 consideration is reliablility.  Will it go bang every time you pull the trigger?
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Have you given the S&W 40c a look.  I have a 40fs and love it.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
The bigger the hole, the better the hole. I'd always go with a .40 over the 9mm. (I carry a .45--bigger yet.) For a fun gun to shoot cheaper ammo I bought a Ruger SR9. Very accurate, inexpensive, and without one FTF. Now Ruger has come out with the SR40 which is still inexpensive and I'm betting just as good as the 9mm version since they've spent so much time on its development. Just an idea.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
  Well, I did come across a deal on a very slightly used p2000sk LEM in 40s&w. Like I said I have a lot of 40 stuff around & load most of the time to modest levels. I shall see. No I never did look at the Smith & Wesson mentioned. Maybe I'll look now just to see.
NRA, Veteran