Author Topic: New to muzzleloaders , my set up, what powder ?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline CBM

• Trade Count: (6)
New to muzzleloaders , my set up, what powder ?
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
Just bought a stainless CVA Optima with the twist breech plug . I bought a durasight base and installed a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 with Burris Sign. Zee rings. After some reading I am going to start off with 270grn Harvestor Sabertooth belted bullets and I already have some CCI 209 shotgun primers.

I bought this mainly to hunt one area and my shots will probably be 15-50yrds(100 yrd max)hunting 30ft up in a climber . It used to be my favorite bow stand but I haven't shot a bow in a while. Anyway , I am thinking about Blackhorn 209(hopefully getting good groups with 90g). My dad is big into muzzleloaders and wants me to go with Triple 7 3f (100-110g).

What powder would you guys recommend and do you think my set up will do fine for these close range shots(I do not want problems with fragmenting bullets) ?

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: New to muzzleloaders , my set up, what powder ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »
Just bought a stainless CVA Optima with the twist breech plug . I bought a durasight base and installed a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 with Burris Sign. Zee rings. After some reading I am going to start off with 270grn Harvestor Sabertooth belted bullets and I already have some CCI 209 shotgun primers.

I bought this mainly to hunt one area and my shots will probably be 15-50yrds(100 yrd max)hunting 30ft up in a climber . It used to be my favorite bow stand but I haven't shot a bow in a while. Anyway , I am thinking about Blackhorn 209(hopefully getting good groups with 90g). My dad is big into muzzleloaders and wants me to go with Triple 7 3f (100-110g).

What powder would you guys recommend and do you think my set up will do fine for these close range shots(I do not want problems with fragmenting bullets) ?

Blackhorn209 with the CCI 209M primers would be an awesome set up. Thats what i use in my new Optima.

Im not a big fan of those sabertooths but i think they'd be fine just sight in and getting used to the rifle. I shoot the 250 and 300gr Thor conicals in mine with 100gr blackhorn209, CCI 209M primers. My Powerbelt load is the 295gr Aerotip with 90gr blackhorn209.

With that 270gr sabertooth, i'd limit the charge around 80 to 90gr blackhorn209.  Like a powerbelt, those sabertooths are pure lead and if pushed to fast, kaboom! That lead will splatter like a wet fart on a bad day.

Check our the Thor Bullets  though. www.thorbullets.com

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
+1 on the BH209 - I have used 90g of it to push either a 200 or 250g Shock wave for the last couple of deer seasons, and they shoot very well.  CCI 209's should work great for a primer, I personally use a Winchester just cause thats what was in stock when I was shopping.  I am tempted by a heavier and better expanding bullet, though, as the shock waves always go clear thru without much expansion.  I haven't had one get back up yet, but a bloodtrail and more internal damage usually leads to a faster/cleaner kill.  Good luck with the CVA - they are a very good gun.

Offline CBM

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
Thanks guys. Picked up some bh 209 at Bass Pro today , so hopefully will get some shooting done in the next week or so ! Man I like the looks of those Thor bullets but I will have to get through my current supply of bullets.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:12:32 PM »
hey i forgot!

You need to pick up a #32 or 3mm drill bit.  You use that bit every few shots to clean the carbon out of the breech plugs flash channel ( that'd be the end where the primer sits)  If not clean, it will carbon up tight restricting the flames volume and lead to hang fires.

Offline CBM

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
Thanks , will do. That's the kind of tips that got me a long way back when I was bowhunting all the time.

Offline gman57

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:11:41 AM »
Ive just switched to Speer 250 Deep Curls with Harvester SB sabots and they shoot great with 100 gr BH209 and a standard CCI209 primer. Dont forget with the BH 209 powder you have to use a regular centerfire type cleaner like Hoppes or Montana Extreme cant use water soap solution.... ;D

Offline CBM

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:00:27 AM »
Guys I had terrible luck with the Blackhorn. It was pretty embarrassing, since my Dad is the big muzzleloader guy and wanted me to use triple 7 .

But the gun is awesome. I had bore sighted it and shot it at 50 yrds and was dead on and 2.5" low with 80 grains of BH209 and a 295 powerbelt that came in the gun package. I made the appropriate amount of clicks and was dead on with 80 grns BH209 and the 270 sabertooth. Then the trouble hit.

I shot and the primer fired and then a split second later the powder went off. I cleaned everything and reloaded and went through a series of 12-13 shots with cleaning involved and only got one more round to fire normally. I had 2 shots that made a wierd sound and dismal smoke and I literally saw my bullets skip across the ground at 20yrds. I cleaned again and tried my Dad's winchester primers instead of the CCI's and it did no good. I looked down the barrel and it was caked up with greasey looking sludge.

Out of frustration I cleaned the gun again and tried some triple 7 2f . Amazingly every load shot and ranging from 100-80 grains of powder, they all shot the same as the BH. At 50 yrds I was shooting under 1.5" groups just leaning against a fence post. So the gun and bullets I am happy with. I am going to buy some Triple seven . I know there is probably something I can try for the BH 209 but I have no confidence in it right now and there is no way I will hunt with it in 2 weeks !

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 04:43:08 AM »

Hey,

No need to feel embarrassed by the BH.  You didn't manufacture the stuff.

Triple 7 has been out there for a long long time, and for good reason.

I think you had a great range session, because you found out what your rifle "likes", and sucessfully sighted it in.   That's the whole purpose of a range session.

Best, Manny

Offline theduke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »
2 -50 grain pyrodex pellets and 295 grain powerbelt shoots real good in mine. 

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 02:01:15 AM »
Guys I had terrible luck with the Blackhorn. It was pretty embarrassing, since my Dad is the big muzzleloader guy and wanted me to use triple 7 .

But the gun is awesome. I had bore sighted it and shot it at 50 yrds and was dead on and 2.5" low with 80 grains of BH209 and a 295 powerbelt that came in the gun package. I made the appropriate amount of clicks and was dead on with 80 grns BH209 and the 270 sabertooth. Then the trouble hit.

I shot and the primer fired and then a split second later the powder went off. I cleaned everything and reloaded and went through a series of 12-13 shots with cleaning involved and only got one more round to fire normally. I had 2 shots that made a wierd sound and dismal smoke and I literally saw my bullets skip across the ground at 20yrds. I cleaned again and tried my Dad's winchester primers instead of the CCI's and it did no good. I looked down the barrel and it was caked up with greasey looking sludge.

Out of frustration I cleaned the gun again and tried some triple 7 2f . Amazingly every load shot and ranging from 100-80 grains of powder, they all shot the same as the BH. At 50 yrds I was shooting under 1.5" groups just leaning against a fence post. So the gun and bullets I am happy with. I am going to buy some Triple seven . I know there is probably something I can try for the BH 209 but I have no confidence in it right now and there is no way I will hunt with it in 2 weeks !
Gotta keep the flame channel open on the new QRBP, it's a long way to push the flame. Drill that thing out just a hair and you will be good to go or do this.  http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/331471-qrpb.html
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline CBM

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 04:29:03 AM »
Thanks, but I am taking the BH209 back and getting some triple 7 . I am only going to hunt with this gun once or twice a year (and only shoot it from now on to make sure it's on before each hunt). I am not worried about cleaning it anymore since it sighted in so easily.

I have helped my dad a long time ago sight in an old really cheap inline with a tasco world class scope that took forever to sight in and clean up. But these new ones are a breeze comparitively. The Triple 7 goes off no problem without modification and I probably will only take one shot (if a nice buck comes along) all year .

For what it's worth..........my Dad had an Optima pro loaded since last year with triple 7 and we put a primer in it and shot it the other day and it was dead on. It's good stuff...........I don't know if blackhorn is better or not with the breech plug modified ...........but the triple 7 will do all I need and more !!

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:14 AM »
Thanks, but I am taking the BH209 back and getting some triple 7 . I am only going to hunt with this gun once or twice a year (and only shoot it from now on to make sure it's on before each hunt). I am not worried about cleaning it anymore since it sighted in so easily.

I have helped my dad a long time ago sight in an old really cheap inline with a tasco world class scope that took forever to sight in and clean up. But these new ones are a breeze comparitively. The Triple 7 goes off no problem without modification and I probably will only take one shot (if a nice buck comes along) all year .

For what it's worth..........my Dad had an Optima pro loaded since last year with triple 7 and we put a primer in it and shot it the other day and it was dead on. It's good stuff...........I don't know if blackhorn is better or not with the breech plug modified ...........but the triple 7 will do all I need and more !!

Good luck returning the open bottle of BH. What did the breech area of your Dad's Optima look like after leaving a load in it for a year?
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline CBM

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
I didn't really look at it..........he cleaned it up but didn't act like there was any issue.