Author Topic: Coolers for meat?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Coolers for meat?
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »
Okay, now that I am trying public land hunting and going it alone, I really need to fine tune my equipment list. Something I just realized was...okay, what about after the kill if I am so lucky. I spend so much time learning about the right knife, how to keep it sharp, a good pack and what to fill it with, etc., etc. But, what about a cooler, or coolers, for bringing home the meat?

What size cooler will a quartered deer fit in? How should one pack a deer in a cooler...ice on bottom, deer on top? Reversed? Is it okay to let deer meat sit touching ice for a day...two? Will it get freezer (ice) burn?

What size cooler/s do you guys use and what brand? Are there brands that work better than others? What made me think of this question was that I was just in Walmart and saw a 120 quart cooler for $52. I thought...wow, what do I have for coolers at home? What would I bring on my hunt? I have a 48 quart and 2 32 quart coolers already. That probably wouldn't be enough for food and drinks and then an animal. ??

My past successful hunts have been with guides who have cut up the meat and put it in my cooler (the 48), but now we may be talking a quartered animal...possibly 2.

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Coolers for meat?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
BRL-

I'll tell you what works for me.  I have a 100 quart cooler I use for salmon fishing.  Works equally well for game.  When I quarter up a deer, I like to double bag each qtr in heavy green garbage bags to keep the meat clean and dry.  I put the ice on the bottom, and make sure the drain plug is open to prevent water accumulation.  As long as the lid is kept closed, the meat will stay cool.  By the time you get every thing packed, I doubt you would have room for more then one decent sized deer.  If you do some basic meat cutting and deboning, you free up a lot of room.  I would plan on a second, smaller cooler for food and drinks, its just a lot easier and cleaner, allowing the meat to sit with the lid closed, staying cool.  When I use a cooler for fish, or smaller game, I like to cut it up / fillet it, and place portions in heavy duty zip lock bags.  If I am going to freeze it, you cant beat a vacuum bag sealing system.  Keeps every thing fresh and freezer burn free for at least 9 months.  Good luck

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:46:26 AM »
most garbage bags are now bio degradeable  and the meat processor i use will not take any meat in garbage bags. due to contamination.
   rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:46:23 AM »
I use the cooler(s) to carry milk jugs of frozen water.  The key is not to keep opening the cooler to check the ice; they should be good for a few days.

About 50% of my hunting occurs in warm weather.  Once an animal is down I skin it out, wipe it down and wrap it in a clean sheet.  I then place frozen jugs of water  in and around the carcass and wrapped the whole thing in a heavy canvas tarp. 

The tarp work both ways, because of work I was running late when I arrived at the location I had planned on setting up my tent.  I was tired and it was 10 p.m.  It looked stormy but I was exhausted.  I pulled out the tarp, double layered it and put my sleeping bag in it.  When I woke up I had over a foot of snow on top of me, but I was warm.

I was pleased with the process after a meat processor checked my kill with a meat thermometer.  I had called him and told him I had an antelope I had taken a couple days before.  He told me that he was going to check it before I unloaded it.  He was all smiles and said it was 36˚ after checking it.  He said bring it in. 

I try and maintain a back-up supply of frozen jugs, at one time it was at my Dad’s, now days it is at my hunting partner place and my place.  The meat processor is closed on Sundays so if we get back on Sunday we already have a supply of ice to put with our kill.  The jug that come out and washed down and put in the freezer so we have them when needed.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline mike243

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »
i see very few brands of bio garbage bags ,the plastics are made to break down easier now but i have not had any issues yet.i skin & 1/4 put in bags & put ice on top.you would be suprised at how small of a cooler it takes to pack a deer or 3 in.all of my meat gets washed & trimed heavily before its finished.
rimfires forever

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 01:55:30 PM »
I think I would go ahead and skin and debone if I had the time. No sense getting all that hair mixed up with your meat. If I had more time I would cut up the steaks and chops and package them. Cabela's is selling a 12volt vacuum packager now. All this isn't wasting time it is something that will have to be done eventually anyhow.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
If weather is too warm for hanging, I use my old chest freezer.  You could likely buy a used or broken one.  Remove compressor if you like and fill bottom with jugs of home made ice (milk cartons, clorox bottles, etc.).  Mine will easily handle quartered deer or 2.  Exchange ice cartons every couple days.  Mine easily maintains 40 degree temperature.  I find backstraps are tender enough to not need aging.  This way I can let it age and cut up at my leisure.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:23:30 AM »
Some good tips here, thank you! I like that 100 quart cooler. I bet with all that space you could pack it well with ice and keep it cold for a few days if need be.

I was at the marina over the weekend. I saw a guy that had a 54 quart cooler rigged with a camp grill grate to keep stuff off the ice. He had cut the stand of the grill grate to 6 inches. He would put ice in the bottom of the cooler, put the grill grate in and then put his fish on top of the grate. It kept everything cold but also kept the fish fillets dry, or whatever he wanted to keep dry but cold.

Thanks!!   
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
The trunk of a Dodge Neon works well. Insulated better than one might think.