Author Topic: Who all is on the 10mm bandwagon?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Who all is on the 10mm bandwagon?
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
I've been looking at the glock 20SF's in 10mm for a while now.  I've been reading about the 10mm and how it seems to be the best kept secret in handgun rounds.  Last friday a local gunshop was having a veterans day sale and I ended up buying a glock 20SF and I couldn't be happier. 

For those of you who shoot the 10mm, what's your prefered factory ammo or what brass do you prefer to reload with?  I'm thinking about buying factory ammo to break the gun in with and then work up some full power 10mm loads using that brass.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Who all is on the 10mm bandwagon?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
I'm a big 10mm fan.  I have a glock 20sf with a 6" lone wolf barrel.  I mostly use 200gr JFP @ 1325fps.  I also have a few 220gr cast loads that run right at 1150.  The buffalo bore 200gr ammo is pretty hard to beat, the cci Blazer ammos is best for the money.  If you can get it there are some really good loads from double tap.

I'm sure you are going to have a ball with your 10mm.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:53 AM »
Right now I just have a couple boxes of the factory Hornady 180gr XTP's, but I don't think they're full power.  I've only fired one round, but it didn't seem like it kicked as much as a 45 does. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »
Ga arms 180 fmj and Ga arms 180 w/ speer hp . both shoot well and you can get them at gun shows and on line.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
Me.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
I wouldn't mind having a reasonably priced S&W 610...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
I've ben a ten fan since affordable guns were made for it. I have a 5 inch model 610.A witness full size a witness compact and the big daddy a Star Megastar.Just can't warm up to the Glock.

Offline j350hp

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:10:58 AM »
im not yet but sure thinkin its my next pistol let us know how u like the short frame

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
I'm on the bandwagon!
2nd gen Glock 20 for me. I'm strictly a hand loader, I use mostly plated bullets from Rainier, but want to buy some 180 XTP's.

Are you shooting with the stock sights?

Congrats on the 20sf.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
im not yet but sure thinkin its my next pistol let us know how u like the short frame

The short frame for me "fixes" the feel of the glock, and I don't think I'd have bought one otherwise.  I can't get over how the standard grip angle feels in my hand and it doesn't point naturally for me.  The SF model fixes that for me and when I pick it up I'm right on target.  I really like it so far, but for the most part all I've done is hold the gun.  I fired one shot into a creek and the recoil didn't feel bad at all. 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 06:09:38 PM »
I'm on the bandwagon!
2nd gen Glock 20 for me. I'm strictly a hand loader, I use mostly plated bullets from Rainier, but want to buy some 180 XTP's.

Are you shooting with the stock sights?

Congrats on the 20sf.

So far the gun is 100% stock and the sights are the factory fixed sights.  I plan on getting an extended mag release for it and maybe a lighter trigger.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 06:22:59 AM »
If you can go whole hog and get a Delta Elite Gold Cup. ;)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:22:52 AM »
I don't really want a 1911 in anything else other than a 45acp.  Anything in a 1911 other than a 45 just feels dirty.  The glock doesn't have the same caliber to design recognition and to be honest, I like the higher capacity of the glock and it's reputation for reliability.  I really need to make a trip to the range and pound some rounds with my glock.  So far, the round count is 1, but it was a nice shot.  :)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:34:50 AM »
I have both and trust me the DEGC is not dirty in feel. It is one of the most accurate 1911 I have shot. It leaves the 45 in the dust and well its groups make the Glocks groups look ilke a pattern IMHO. 
 I don't see the 1911 as a 45 only since it has been made in so many cal's. And keep in mind the 1911 started out as a 38 and was beefed up to meet the military request.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »
Have you done much load development with the glock 10mm?  The difference in accuracy, could be due to the ammo.  A lot of what I read had some great things to say about the glocks accuracy.  I know the 1911 is chambered in just about everything, but at least for me when I see a 1911 I think 45. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »
To be honest about the loads no. I would venture to guess its me and the Glock trigger after shooting the Colt. I also have night sights on it and that is not a plus for my old eyes at the range but nice on the street.
 Glocks are OK I have had a dozen or more in different cals. . I will take half the blame.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »
 ;D

Offline Justin10mm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 06:37:53 AM »
I've got a G20 10mm.

I haven't been able to carry it the last few weeks because I've run out of ammo, I am beginning to feel withdrawal.  :'( 

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:06 AM »
Teddy, you might want to sit down and do the math on a replacement barrel in 40 S&W. If you are a reloader it might be a moot point but 10mm is a bit spendy for entertainment use.

Congratulations on the new gat by the way I do envy the G20. If I could part with something or find extra $ it would sure be on my short list.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
Teddy, you might want to sit down and do the math on a replacement barrel in 40 S&W. If you are a reloader it might be a moot point but 10mm is a bit spendy for entertainment use.

Congratulations on the new gat by the way I do envy the G20. If I could part with something or find extra $ it would sure be on my short list.

I'll probably buy a lone wolf 40cal barrel someday.  The nice thing is that those barrels are only $100 and it's like a whole new gun with a match grade barrel.  From what I've read I'd be well of by buying a new lone wolf 10mm barrel as well.  I've got some factory ammo & reloading components heading my way and I intend to really dump some ammo through this gun the first chance I get.  The best part about the 10mm is that once you've already got your brass, the only thing more expensive about reloading is the extra couple grains of powder to get full 10mm loads. 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »
i am all over the 10mm.  it is my favorite pistol caliber.  i have a glock 20 with a streamlight light and laser combo on it and that gun goes everywhere with me.   the rest of my guns get ignored now.  just bought by brother a kimber eclipse 10mm, and it was nice to shoot.  very nice.  only complaint was it threw the brass into a different zip code.   other than that one thing, it was perfect.  maybe a heavier recoil spring is in order. 

Offline DEGOLDCUP

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
I am in, only killed a Black Bear with mine but hopefully a deer and hog in the future.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
I am in, only killed a Black Bear with mine but hopefully a deer and hog in the future.

You gotta share the rest of that story.  Where were you, what make of 10mm, hunting or defense etc.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »
I used to be on this band wagon when younger.  The thing you want to watch out for on the Glocks is they have an unsupported chamber,(at the feed ramp).  I have personnally seen bulged cases with hot rounds.  If you want to shoot the hot stuff a Barsto or Nolan after market barrel would be the way to go. 8)  This is expesialy inportant with fast powders like Accuarate Arms, they once put out a warning that if you didn't have a fully supported chamber not to use their powder.
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 01:37:14 AM »
I saw a Glock come apart when a case ruptured and set the next round off in the mag. Possible double load. The slide came off, mag exploded into parts (lost spring) . Put gun back togather with new mag and different ammo andit worked fine. Shooter was lucky and not hurt.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »
So far, I've shot hornady 180gr XTP/HP factory and Georgia Arms 180gr FMJ factory.  Both are supposed to be at full 10mm levels from what I've read and none of the brass has been damaged.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
Most all of the problems I have heard of were with reloaded brass. Most dies don't do the entire case . There is an expansion ring on many cases that will expand out with a hot load . In some cases once this ring expands out and the die will not compress it back 100% the next hot load may rupture it if not supported. I have seen some cases with a bubble like section in this area after a very hot load. Its something to be aware of and not push the brass to the point of rupture . Load your hunting /soical loads in new brass and lower power pratice loads in used brass.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »
Ok, that makes some sense.  Also has me wondering too because I just ordered some brass.  I'm going to ask this in the reloading section as well but what powder are you handloaders using?  I was hoping to use Titegroup since I've already got it in stock and it meters well. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »
Ok, that makes some sense.  Also has me wondering too because I just ordered some brass.  I'm going to ask this in the reloading section as well but what powder are you handloaders using?  I was hoping to use Titegroup since I've already got it in stock and it meters well. 
231 for the few I have loaded. Been busy with other rounds. Decided a while back to load everything one at a time , finish all I had then do another cart. 10 mm is comming up soon now that hunting ammo is finished . Then it will be range time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
there is some merit to the bulged case thing.  we have seen this before.   but....i have not seen problems with the cases, you full length resize them and load them right back up.   i also heard a rumor that once cases are fired in a glock, they wont chamber in other 10mm's.   i can tell you without question that is not true.  we have shot the hell out of our glocks and no problems.  yes, some of the cases bulge slightly, but i see no problems from it.