Author Topic: Modern 38-40 loads  (Read 347 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Modern 38-40 loads
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »
Has anyone had any experience loading the 38-40 for a modern revolver such as the Ruger Blackhawk in the rare chambering of 38-40 or any other strong framed modern revolver in this caliber?  I have found data such as this to be scarce.  

Offline powdersmoke

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Modern 38-40 loads
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:24:39 AM »
     I have the Ruger 38-40 and I usually just use cast bullets and the handgun loading data, but the Lyman Cast Bullet manual has rifle loading data for the 38-40 which moves it on up a notch or two. I use to load it a little on the heavy side, but now if I need something more I just use a bigger gun. I bought the 32-20/32MAG when they first came out, I think I paid $160.00 for it through Buckeye Supply. I still have the catalog. If I had bought the 38-40 when they were first available I could have got it with a matching ser. no., but short of funds at the time. I just recently bought a Lyman mould for the 38-40. I don't know why Ruger has never chambered these cals. since, I would think that they would really sell. I would like to have both cals. in the old model Vaquero.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:33:58 AM »
     I have the Ruger 38-40 and I usually just use cast bullets and the handgun loading data, but the Lyman Cast Bullet manual has rifle loading data for the 38-40 which moves it on up a notch or two. I use to load it a little on the heavy side, but now if I need something more I just use a bigger gun. I bought the 32-20/32MAG when they first came out, I think I paid $160.00 for it through Buckeye Supply. I still have the catalog. If I had bought the 38-40 when they were first available I could have got it with a matching ser. no., but short of funds at the time. I just recently bought a Lyman mould for the 38-40. I don't know why Ruger has never chambered these cals. since, I would think that they would really sell. I would like to have both cals. in the old model Vaquero.
Well, you're gonna kick yourself when you hear this:  There is a guy on one of the auction sites selling a matched pair of both calibers that are brand new in the box with the Buckeye holsters for a minimum bid of $1250.  It's astonishing that they were only $160 when they came out in 1989!  It's a crime that things cost so much now too!

As for the 38-40 and Ruger; Ruger did chamber a few more rare releases of the Vaquero in the 38-40 chambering.  That seems a bit more fitting for the caliber being in the Vaquero, a replica of an old cowboy gun.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
I got one each of the Vaquero's in 38-40, a 4.625" and a 5.5". These are my best shooting revolvers that i have but I had to open the cylinder throats to get them to shoot, they came from the factory at about .396". These were also dual cylinder revolvers that came with a 40 S&W cylinder.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot