Author Topic: Which 16 gauge hulls are best?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
Which 16 gauge hulls are best?
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »
I have only been reloading shot shells for a short time and have already made the mistake of buying a die set to convert my Mec 600 to 410.

Everyone  was right, it is a pain to change between gauges. Now that it works it will stay a 410.

I was given a Lee loadall (older model) in 12 gauge that works well with AA hulls.(only hull I have)

My Mec will crimp nicely with old Winchester AA or Remington hulls.
I can't get the new HS hulls to crimp right,seem to leave a hole in center or just an ugly crimp.

I am aware that it may be my inexperience that is the problem,but I can cope with what I have mastered so far.

I am planning to purchase a 16 gauge press and I was hoping that I could get some tips as to what hulls seem to work best in a Lee Loadall.

Thanks for the advice.
Alan

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Which 16 gauge hulls are best?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:51:40 AM »
At one point I had a Lee Load-all for 16 ga. I never could get decent loads out of it. I later bought a Mec 600, which has the capability of being adjusted.  I ended up finding out that the best wads for the cases that I could find were those sold by BPI (Ballistic Products Inc). They sell an amazing variety of shotshell components, including wads and hulls for nearly every gauge.  They also sell a pretty complete book of loading data specifically for the 16. While working with the 16, I found that once-fired Winchester low-brass hulls were good for only a couple of reloads before splitting, but the BPI wads worked well in them.  I once bought a bag of 16 ga Remington wads--the only American ones I could find.  These never worked well in anything--not even in Remington hulls!!  Somewhere in my loading area I still have the better part of a bag of these, and would part with them for the cost of shipping to anyone who wants them, with my best wishes.  I still have my Mec, and load for a Baikal side-by-side.  Nice gun.  If I were starting out on this gauge, I'd get a Mec press from the beginning, and buy fresh wads and hulls from the BPI catalog. 

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:54:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice,I have my catalog on it's way.

I have decided on another  mec 600 in 12 gauge since I will use it more than the 16 for now,and plan to update my load all for the 16.(cheaper)

If the offer still stands I'll take the wads off your hands.

Gotta start somewhere,besided I only have 3 16g hulls.Can't hurt too much.

Send me an e-mail or PM with payment information and I will get it into the mail to you.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Alan

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:11 AM »
Alan

I've been trying to send you a reply and it hasn't been going.  I still have those Remmie wads and if you want them they're yours.  My personal email address is posted in my profile.  I don't know yours.  Send me an email.  I keep trying with this message thing and it doesn't go.

John