Author Topic: New Yugo Ak purchase, some questions?  (Read 534 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
New Yugo Ak purchase, some questions?
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:55:36 AM »
Bought a Yugo Ak-47 yesterday, I used to own a Romanian Ak and a Saiga for many years, so I have some familiarization with these critters.  I thought the gun was new, but when I started taking it apart to oil and grease it there seems to be a mix of new and used.  The tag that was attached also said "Used", should have read that! :P 

The barrel is undergoing cleaning now, copper fowled, using some Sweets solvent and Hoppes #9.  Bore looks sharp with nice rifling, won't have to do a break in technique.  The gas piston tube is pitted and rough from rust, somebody forgot to clean it when using corrosive ammo, might replace that part.  The receiver looks new, or is it just refinished?  Bolt assembly looks used but good, one magazine fits snug, the other is very tight, might clean it up with a file, both military surplus.

Cannot get the bayonet to lock on, muzzle break too big?  It looks like it is threaded on with a locking knob.  The bayonet is stiff so maybe I am doing something wrong.

Had the choice of a Romanian or the Yugo, The Yugo looked better and cost more and I wanted one of those.  Also the military fold-able stock, muzzle break and bayonet lug, it has that "Annoys the liberal Democrats look", that is what helped me to buy it.

Is the receiver new or a re-weld of the original?  When I had my Romanian I thought it was new, but I wonder if it too was a used gun when I bought it 9 years ago?  Just how worn were these parts kits that came into the country?  I thought they were low mileage, but why would the Poles, Czechs, and Serbs/Croats (old Yugoslavia), cash out their front line AK-47's into this country, obsolete?  Is the barrel replacement easy on these?

Thanks.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: New Yugo Ak purchase, some questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:41 AM »
After 2 trips to the range I got it sighted in, had to modify my site adjusting tool to fit better.  The rifle is very accurate, never jambs.  The fold able stock is not a problem, I have found it to be very stable and comfortable as I was worried that it would be less so than the traditional wood type.  I put a round file inside the gas piston tube to clean it up some from the rust, will replace the item in the near future.  Used an unknown brand of recoil buffer, works well, had used a Buffer tech brand on my others, they are good too.

Still no info on the receiver, the Romanian and Yugo types are correct for the guns, either an American maker is an artist at making an exact replica of the receiver, or they were brought into the country intact.  My Romanian AK-47 that I used to have probably was original, and not new to say, but may have been unissued. I do remember seeing the arsenal marking of the triangle faintly stamped on it, so it was not an American after market receiver.  My current Yugo is stamped with the Century maker's name, but is clearly of Yugo structure.  The trigger is excellent, it is Tapco brand, and breaks at a clean 3.75 pounds, very nice for a military trigger.

Most shooters see TV everyday and observe the American soldiers in Iraq-Afghanistan, so they must buy an AR-15, subtle advertising.  I went with an AK as they are far superior to the Armalite design for military use, I also see lots of used AR-15's in gun shops, so many people get rid of them.  The private security agencies in Iraq won't use an AR, American soldiers also prefer the AK and have used them until regulations stopped that.  The stories of continuous jamming shows that the AR should be replaced. 

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: New Yugo Ak purchase, some questions?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »
I recommend buying a complete set of spare parts, springs, gas piston, etc.  That way if you had some type problem in the future, you could repair it.  I did that with my SKS's.  I have 3 sons and each of us have one, thus the extra spare parts, trigger assembly, gas piston, springs, etc.  Gun shows or the internet are good places to find spares.