Author Topic: Lyman 450 lube sticks  (Read 1619 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Lyman 450 lube sticks
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Made up my first batch of 12 sticks for my Lyman Lubra-sizer this morning , I got the idea from U-Tube awhile back but was waiting till I got the mix right .

Put the first one into the sizer a few min. ago , now to lube a batch of bullets and see how the lube does , hopefully all will go well .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lyman 450 lube sticks
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
Sound intersting-- keep us posted....    I'd like to try mixing some   sometime.. I've read that you can add a  color crayon to get your own color to the mix          DAN

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »
Sound intersting-- keep us posted....    I'd like to try mixing some   sometime.. I've read that you can add a  color crayon to get your own color to the mix          DAN

Thats just what I did , I cast for 41 , 44 , and 2 different 45's as well , what I came up with was to use different colors for the different cal.

.41 is Green

.44 is Black

.451 is Tan

.452 is Red

That way I can tell at a glance what I have on hand and how many  .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Anduril

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »
stimpylu

so you clean out your lubrisizer every time you switch calibers? sounds like a lot of extra work.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
stimpylu

so you clean out your lubrisizer every time you switch calibers? sounds like a lot of extra work.

Its not as bad as you would think , I only add enough to do whatever sizing that I need to do at the time and always have more bullets left to do later .

Another trick is to go from say tan to red and green to black , that saves some cleaning time too .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 06:04:33 AM »
What kind of lube did you mix up? I have been thinking of mixing some up I am about out of the Lyman alox lube that I bought when I got my sizer a year ago and I dont want to pay 5 bucks a stick!

I was thinking of first trying the Darr lube that uses vasolene parrafin wax and STP oil treatment. Seems like that lube is the easiest one to get the ingredients for.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »
Lakota

The mix I came up with is .

50% Carnuba wax

20% Bees wax

15% vasoline

15% Lee loquid alox

This mix works well in my Lyman ( with heat ) , not so good for Pan lubing , too hard and it just wants to pop out of the lube grooves when cooled .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
What kind of lube did you mix up? I have been thinking of mixing some up I am about out of the Lyman alox lube that I bought when I got my sizer a year ago and I dont want to pay 5 bucks a stick!

I was thinking of first trying the Darr lube that uses vasolene parrafin wax and STP oil treatment. Seems like that lube is the easiest one to get the ingredients for.

or have a look here http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/order.html

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »
vasolene parrafin wax and STP oil treatment.

That's the formula Dee (a member in case you don't know him) gave me some time back and the one I've used for pan lubing since I started casting.  I've used it in 44 Mag and 45 Colt handgun and rifle loads and haven't got any complaints.  A non-petrochemical version consists of beeswax, crisco and lanolin.  I may give that a try... or add some lanolin to the other mix... or just buy some of Veral's soft blue which many say is the best there is anyway!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 03:18:02 AM »
50% Carnuba wax

May I ask   -- is that like the floorwax ?     thanks Dan

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »

I must say that I admire those who chose to be “self-sustaining” by whatever means—legal of course…

But I have tried all types of concoctions and even many of the manufactured stuff…

I now use Carnauba Red exclusively.  It is made by White Label Lube Co…

I started using it a few years ago and I only ordered a small amount as I wasn’t sure how it would work in a Lube-O-Matic.  I do have the Midway heating unit mounted to it and it works very well…

I turn the heater on for about 15-20 minutes, shut it off and lube boolits.  Only one color—RED…

For the time and money, this is the way it will continue to go.  The next order will be “well worth while” and should last many years down the road…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »
Well I hope that it is floor wax,,,  "cuz that is what I used..   Couldn't find Johnston floor wax,   but it was made of the same stuff...
I made mine bright Yellow  ..   since it is winter I heated it back up and added more Vasaline  ---- It is  to soft to work in hot weather... But still hard.....I'm shure it is not as good as the real stuff....  But  worked good for my target loads... I shot some     ...I had been reading about it ------ Thanks for inspiring me ...

One old book said that 100 years ago they sometimes used lard,, in hard times   ( the book said "The World War" so it was writen before the 1940s)..

I must agree Carnauba Red  is good....and want to try LBT Blue also,,,

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 05:03:35 AM »
 I use the color code lube ID also
By mistake one day
I mixed too many colors and got a rainbow
I now have those labeled as

"Don't ask Don't tell" ;D

Tommyt

Thats just what I did , I cast for 41 , 44 , and 2 different 45's as well , what I came up with was to use different colors for the different cal.

.41 is Green

.44 is Black

.451 is Tan

.452 is Red

That way I can tell at a glance what I have on hand and how many  .

stimpy