Author Topic: Best Cast bullet choice 45/70  (Read 2684 times)

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Best Cast bullet choice 45/70
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
Hi Guys

I am struggling to make a decision on mold choice for a 45/70.  It will be used for hunting and paper punching.
Used in a marlin guide gun and buffalo classic single shot. Gas check or plain base?  340 grain or 450 grain?  That is where I am at.  I thought some of you may have some input. It will be a LFN by LBT.

Thanks for now.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Best Cast bullet choice 45/70
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »
i  chose  405 grains

classic round  in the classic weight
non gas checked....mostly because i am cheap 
and  again  the classic load

i have the LFN  and WFN  [the jury is still out]

i  like heavier....but  405  still drains the lead pot fast
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »
I like the RCBS 45-325-FN-U myself. It's quite accurate out of my Marlin 1895, and doesn't kick as much as the 405s or bigger. Plenty bullet for 300 yards, with black or smokeless. That said, I shoot a ton of bigger bullets in the 45-70 as well, but for what you mention the 325s work great. (And plainbase. no checks to worry about. don't need 'em with normal pressure loads.)
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
A guy here on the forum --davey crockett--- casts a fine bullet for the 45-70 at least mine likes them.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »
if i could have only one mold for the 4570 it would be the rcbs 405
blue lives matter

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »
I shoot a few different loads. First, go plain base- cheaper, less fuss, faster to make. If you need to shoot fast enough to need a gas check you probably could go jacketed. Heavier loads use more lead, kick harder, and achieve what ? Although they take a bit more effort, my favorite mold is a Lyman 457122HP, a 330 gr hollow point . If I were going to pick one therefore of your options, given the quality of the maker, I would get the 340gr. If you find that you cannot do everything you want with it (which I doubt ) you can always get the other. I have some Lyman molds that are 60 years old and throw bullets as good or better than a new one, if you take care of them they last several lifetimes.
remember the starfish

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
If I could only have 1 bullet mold for the 45-70, it would be the Lyman 457125, which is a 500 grain, plain base, round nose.  It's been around for about 100 years for a good reason.  Works well with Black Powder as well as plenty of smokeless powders.  Can be loaded heavy enough for big and dangerous game, as well as loaded light still packing plenty of punch.

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »
Thanks guys for all your replies.  :) I appreciate your thoughts.  I think maybe I will lean towards the lighter bullet first.  Then if I decide I need another I can go heavy.  I have shot quite a few cactus plains 405 grains  that I purchased.  I loaded them quite heavy and had no leading trouble.  They are hard cast and plain based. Is 1800 fps realistic with LBT lube and water dropped wheel weights or do you think leading could be an issue?   ??? ???That is the next thing.  Gas check or not.  I kind of like the easy plain based idea.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »
if your pushing a cast bullet over 1400 fps a gas check is what you want. Not that it cant be done with a plain based bullet its just that doing it is a ballancing act and not for a begining caster. It takes a real hard alloy and a bullet that is matched in size to that exact gun and a real good lube and the right powder and even then you can get leading if you dont have a perfect barrel.
blue lives matter

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »
if i could have only one mold for the 4570 it would be the rcbs 405
Mine would be the Lee 450 FP. 

Offline Humbo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
Another superb mold is the Redding (SAECO) #017.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
I'm signing in on this thread a bit late, but have an LBT/WFN boolit ( sorry Veral  ;D) that was awesome in the one critter I have had the chance to harvest to this point.

Shooting the gas checked .355gr slug from my #1s at well over 2000fps with just the slightest signs of lead smears.

Have yet to get the groups I desire, so have some more powders to try for that issue.

The RL#7 did the job this Fall.  I am not seeking high velocities, but am following where the tests lead.  Saw a touch over 2500fps with some RL7 loads, but the load used for hunting this Fall sent the 355gr. out the barrel at about 2290fps.

I really hope I can get the groups where I want them with the LBT, as I really like the 4 cavity mold as compaired to the single cavity on my RCBS 405 mold.

I guess I would like to keep the velocity up a bit to decrease the rainbow shaped arch from point "A" to "B", but as stated, will see what groups and tests show and go from there.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
Dezynco suggests the Lyman 457125, 500 gr RNFB, for the 45-70.  I've had this mold for a number of years, probably around 30 but don't really remember for sure, and cast a lot of lead thru it.

This bullet shoots well in every 45-70 and 45-120 I've shot it in.  Little hard on the lead pot but I shoot into a trap a lot so the lead, usually wheelweights actually, makes repeated trips.

If I had to pick a single bullet to cast for these calibers it would be a tossup between this bullet and one of the 405 or so grain jobs.

The 500 grain sure knocks the fuzz off an elk when properly placed.  Works well on groundhogs as well.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline ron haralson

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »
If LBT makes the mold in 2-cavity, I'd take the middle of the road approach. Get a 400gr and see if Veral will cut 1 cavity gas check and 1 plain base. I really doubt you'll EVER need to buy jacketted bullets for your 45 70 if you have a gas checked mould.
Grouch