Author Topic: Its about time --.223 handi range report w/pics  (Read 638 times)

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Its about time --.223 handi range report w/pics
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »
Hope i can figure out how to attacth the pics. I finally got my handi performing like it should. Mis-fire problem has been fixed, trigger is working great , the groups shot were at 50 yards and 100 yards with factory Prvi-Partizan 56 grain loads easily outperforming the American eagle 55 grainer's. Both loads were fMJ and the prvi loads must be a near max load as recoil seemed about twice what the american eagle loads were and POI about 2" higher at 100 yards. I was making scope adjustments while shooting the prvi loads the first two shots were the ones close togeather and the 3rd shot was the one to the left. I think the prvi loads may actually shoot under .5 " and will test next time out when i have more ammo. Please excuse the crude tragets im too cheap to buy them and blank paper shows the bullet holes without a spotting scope much better then color targets. Gun was shot off a block of carpeted wood for the front rest directly under the forearm and my shoulder for the rear rest.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Its about time --.223 handi range report w/pics
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
adam, have you been handloading any yet ?
that barrel with the recipes i gave you, should perform very well.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
hi gendoc,

i haven't started handloading for it yet, but i still have all the info you gave me tucked away. Just too many other projects underway right now so it will be factory ammo only for a few more months. I have a tokarev pistol coming shortly and i still need to get the handi .270 barrel back on this frame and finish working up an accurate load now that my misfire issue has been resolved. Very happy with this barrel even with the cheapest factory loads available in my area its still shooting great. I'm looking forward to reloading for it if i can find the time.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
it is doing very good with factory ammo.... ;)
thats really great to hear  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline digs68

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »
Here's a tip; If you're too cheap to buy targets (like me), you can go to http://www.mytargets.com/ and print them off for free. There's a whole bunch of targets to choose from too.
Nice shooting, by the way!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:17:31 AM »
Adam,

You and the 270 going to chase whitetails this faill?

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I wish i could say yes to using the .270 for deer but im not planning to travel this fall and my area is shotguns and muzzleloaders only for deer.I have had many good size bucks inside bow range that just didn't offer me a clear shot and if the .270 was an option i would have filed 3 tags already this year after they busted me and ran 50-60 yards farther out in the bean field i hunt. Coyotes are another subject all togeather and the .223 appears ready for them now and once i buy another scope for the .270 and get it locking up properly on this frame i hope to have it shooting sub 1" groups aswell.