Author Topic: tricks and techniques for hunting in the SCRUB  (Read 1142 times)

Offline catdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
tricks and techniques for hunting in the SCRUB
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »
whaddup, i used to be lazy, id find a clear cut on public land,hang my stand 5 yards from the edge and wait till dark for deer to meander around the edges of the clear cut, now on eglin AFB the competitons too freakin much, 10 hunters for every clear cut, i need yalls help, what techniques do i use to hunt the thick as jungle scrub of northwest florida. theres noway you can stalk with the palmettos and galberrys and vines theyll here you coming a mile away plus you cant see more than 60 yards any direction, and water and food are everywhere.what do i look for and where do i look to hang my stand any tips or advice is greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline Mohawk

Re: tricks and techniques for hunting in the SCRUB
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
Try to identify well used game trails. Or maybe elevation over a below creek bottom if you have them Most importantly distance yourself from everybody even if it means crashing through the brush to get away from them. They may actuall push the deer to you.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:14:43 AM »
 Yes, try to benefit from the activities of other hunters. I'd also try to get high(in the air) any way possible. Maybe a tree or some higher elevation. That would allow a better view down into the scrub cover.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »
I have a co-worker that has a grandfather in the East Texas town of Ratcliff(very thick area- pines and under brush). He would wait behind fallen timber for up to 9 hours a day(patience) in a National Forest until a buck came by. Imense hunting pressure all around him. The man has always got a deer. Quite a stat if you knew the location. The largest buck killed in that region was by a guy that owned a small place bordering the public land. He used the public hunters movement to his advantage.

Offline mmt7714

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
Hunting thick public land can be a pain, but when you are successfull the sense of accomplishment is awesome. I have been forced to hunt some thick as hell public stuff for the past several years. Here in south Mississippi seeing 60 yds is a blessing, most of the time its more like 20 yds. I can offer a few words of advice that I hope will help. You said food was everywhere, but deer are like kids, they like certain foods over others and will readily gravitate to those foods first year after year only eating other things when that food source is gone. For instance in my part of the world wild persimons start getting ripe about Sept/Oct. A deer will walk past 15 food plots and 25 oak trees to eat one persimon. Also in any normal year our white oak trees will be the first to produce acorns. Deer will snub their noses at all other acorns until the white oak acorns are gone. If you find a patch of oaks, and their are two white oaks producing in the middle of 100 acres of red oaks, you better hunt the white oaks. Also, a mutch more reliable way that I have found to consistently kill deer on pressured public land is to hunt the terrain. Find an area that you know the deer are using, and use the terrain to your benefit. Pin point the funnel areas and hunt them hard. Deer are naturally lazy creatures and if given the opportunity will walk the easiest path. This may mean walking 20 yds out of the way to cross a fence where it is broken down, or walking 30 yds down a creek to cross where it is not as wide. One last point and then I promise I will shut up, is to not be afraid to hunt small often overlooked areas that don't get as much pressure as others. Get a map out and see if you can locate these areas. 2 acres, 3 acres, 10 acres, and take every precaution to cover your scent and leave no trace behid. Deer in heavily pressured areas are much more prone to spooking at the least little thing.

Mike

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
Sometimes the guy that "doesn't know the territory" is the one that blunders into the biggest buck...because the guy doesn't know "not" to hunt in a specific place, a place where nobody hunts "...because there are no deer there...", is EXACTLY why Mr. Big Buck is in that place. 

Some days you are the Statute and others the Pigeon.  You are just going to have to blunder about for a while until you (think) you know the territory.  Perhaps that strategy will be Just Right.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Catdaddy I hunt the pine plantations of SE Oklahoma they are densely planted and choked with saw briars it's real nasty stuff.
One of my favorite techniques is go just before season and wade off in that mess about 20-30 yards and then start cleaning up some of the game trails so that they are easier to navigate.
Leaving the access nasty and over grown keeps the competition out.
These hard to penetrate thickets usually have some openings, food sources, and some available water. I have even planted small food plots back in these areas.
Another tactic that helps me in new areas is to do a fly over using a topo map and marking potential hot spots that i see from the air. It helps me to get a visual lay of the land.
I wont say that I haven't come home from deer camp looking like I'd been stuffed in a sleeping bag full of bobcats because I have, but hunting the rough stuff has always paid off.

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline purpledragon

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
Like most of the guys said, find a good trail, human or game, get off the trail where 2 or 3 or more trails come together,find the right tree, and get UP THERE, so you can see down in the thick stuff. Don't forget your good safety harness and cover scents.............
This only proves that,when allowed to act outside his lawfully limited authority,a U.S. President is capable of unleashing horrendous violence against the lives,liberty,and property of those he pretends to serve...........