Author Topic: Buffalo Classic 45-70 light hammer strikes  (Read 3372 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Buffalo Classic 45-70 light hammer strikes
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
They sure do!
And so does the variation in case rim thickness. Keep 'misfiring' cases segregated and measure the rims, the variations can be surprising, enough so that measuring them before loading is probably a good idea.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
Took the BC out shooting again today.  First 10 shots were fine, then I started getting ftf's.  I still don't want to send it in (probably just too stubborn).  I did get a shipping label from H&R, but it is a UPS label, and it states firearms on the label for contents.  I am just not trusting enough of some people to send this out.

After reading info from Gcrank and Tim in this and other posts, I feel like I am making some progress (before, I was dropping the hammer 2-3 times per round before they would fire).  My firing pin protrusion is only .055", so I think I can go a bit more there (probably go to .060").  I also ordered some Wolf hammer springs, which I've heard can do wonders with ignition issues.

When I replace the springs, I will also take another .005" off the face of the hammer to extend the firing pin a bit more.  Hoping that takes care of the issue.

In looking at the fired cases, I am getting an off-center firing pin strike.  Don't know how much that contributes to the issue, but I think I will try some remington primers in these loads, vs. the CCI's that I am using now.

The last thing I noticed was that there is a lot of oil in the receiver.  Turns out, I'll spray a shot of Rem-Oil in the bore after cleaning, and it looks like it is running into the receiver.  When I replace the springs, I will clean all that out, and only grease the areas in the receiver that need it (or is there a better type of lube to use in the receiver?).  In the future, I will just run an oiled patch through the bore.

The good news is, in addition to the ftf issue getting better, I got a 2-1/2" group at 100 yards using the standard front sight, and a Williams FP rear sight.  I know I can do better, but that's not too shabby for 45 year-old eyes with peep sights.

Thanks again for all the help with this issue, it feels good to be closing in on it.

Thanks.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »
Fed 210 primers as well as the Rems seem to be less susceptible to misfires with off center pin strikes. I store all of my rifles muzzle down, so I don't have to worry about oil running down the bore and into the action, on the stock or ruining the recoil pads.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »
Now, is that .055 protrusion with the hammer upon it and the trigger held back?
That should get it, especially if you use other than hard CCI primers, unless your rim seat is cut too deep. By all means try other primers first! You know, change the easy stuff. No need to load up either, just prime the cases and try them.
Im going to guess that the trigger extension is not holding the t-bar striker portion full up on the f-pin enough to keep it from being 'sqeezed down under the F-pin upon hammer fall.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tcoggins

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »
gcrank - yes, that .055" is measured with the trigger back and the hammer down.  I agree that .055" seems like it should be enough.  The other part of that equation is, the rim seat is cut a bit deep, and the cases sit about .005" below the face of the breech, giving me an effective .050" pin protrusion.  I don't want to get that firing pin too far out, on the off chance that I do fit a different barrel to it someday, and wind up piercing primers (hmmm...perhaps a 38-55 barrel would be a nice companion to the 45-70).

I'll try to find some Rem or Fed primers locally and give them a try.

As far as the trigger extension, it doesn't seem as there would be a great amount of force on that, and I am wondering if I could make it longer by attaching a few layers of aluminum tape to the end of that.  I think I'll try that when I replace the spring as well.

Tim - When you store your rifles muzzle down, are they actually resting on the muzzle, or do you have some sort of rack that holds the muzzle up a bit?

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 12:31:39 PM »
Yup, resting the muzzle on carpet, been doing that for a long time with my muzzleloaders, decided it would be fine for all of em, keeps oil off the latch and shelf too.  ;)

Tim

Offline tcoggins

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Guys - Thanks again for all your assistance.  If I weren't so stubborn, I may have been further along. 

I was looking at this rifle again last night, and I finally realized what you are talking about regarding the small face of the firing pin (the part in contact with the transfer bar).  I thought that was a full round on that face, but it is chamfered quite a bit.  I see where you are coming from with regard to the transfer bar dropping out of place.  I thought it would have to travel down quite a bit to fall out of engagement, but it doesn't have to drop far at all. 

In playing with the trigger and hammer on my rifle, it appears there is still a bit of travel on the trigger before the extension contacts the transfer bar (maybe .050-.075").  Based on this, my new plan is to replace the trigger extension (just ordered a couple), and fit it so it contacts the transfer bar just as the trigger releases the hammer.  I'll also change to the Wolff spring, as that is already on order as well.

For now, I will leave the firing pin alone, as it is already protruding further than the pin on my .243 Handi (which functions flawlessly).

I know this is the same thing that you (gcrank) had posted regarding your rifle, but I guess some people learn through other's experience, and other people learn by trial and error.

I do thank you for all the info you have provided, and if nothing else, by the time I get this fixed (and I will get it fixed ), I will have no reservations about working on my next Handi.

Thanks.

Tim

Offline tcoggins

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:55 PM »
Just a quick update.  I replaced the hammer spring with the Wolff spring, and fired 20 primed cases without a failure.  Woohoo, I may have it licked.  I still have a couple trigger extensions on order, and will replace the one in the rifle when they arrive.

I ordered a 5-pack of springs, so it looks like it may be standard operating procedure to put the Wolff springs in any new Handis that I may acquire.

I did notice that the existing trigger extension is rubbing on the hammer.  When I install the new trigger ext, I will make sure that side of it is smooth so it won't slow down the hammer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
Kudos for getting it fixed and thanks to Wolff once again!!  ;D

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »
Kudos for getting it fixed and thanks to Wolff once again!!  ;D

Tim

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 02:04:17 AM »
Just a quick update.  I replaced the hammer spring with the Wolff spring, and fired 20 primed cases without a failure.  Woohoo, I may have it licked. 
Tim

Good to hear, have the same problem and my five pack of wolff springs is in transit. :)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.