Author Topic: The one you have  (Read 998 times)

Offline wyohandi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
The one you have
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
Was at the gunshow the other day a lady and a guy were looking at some handguns for her to carry.
She was looking at the smaller guns as could be expected, I heard him tell her at least 3 times that
she didn't want "that" one all it would do was piss someone off. I watched them leave with no gun.

My question is this, how many of you would stand there and let me shoot you with a CO2 pellet pistol?
Or how about a 22 snubbie?
I know, in a gunfight.......blah, blah. How many 30 something women do you know been in a gunfight lately?
Wouldn't your wife, daughter, girlfriend be better off with something she will carry and not be afraid to shoot?
I believe I will let mine carry anything she wants, not brand x because i read somewhere it has a 90% one shot
stop record.
At least she won't be walking out the door without anything.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: The one you have
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
My sentiments too WYO. Way better to have a 22 or 32 in her purse than a 45 in the drawer at home. The lady ought to find a better man for advice.

Offline dieselman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
Well when I talked my wife into gettin her permit I took her to a gun shop and told her to pick one out that she thought felt best to her. It was a little .22 auto (she wanted a small one to carry easy) she shot the heck out of it and could hit soda cans (new unopened) loved to watch the explode. Then came out lady friendly guns and she now has a pink lady from Charter arms (in 38spl) and just cause its pink she wanted one and so I got her one, fit her hand better than the S&W mod 60. My dad gave me heck for lettin my wife get a pink gun but, I say let the ladys have what they want and are willing to learn to shoot.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
Any handgun is useless to a woman if she won't carry it or is afraid to fire it! As to pink guns they spit the bullets out same as any gun regardless of color. ;D

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:10 AM »
As long as it's well made and reliable let her get the one she wants and encourage her to shoot it often so that she is proficient with it. 

Men generally have the Tim Allen attitude "more power!!!" where as women have a lap dog attitude they like little and cute and most are initially little leery of anything that goes bang, the bigger the bang the more leery they are of it. 

So it is wise to let them pic out their first gun even if it's "just" a .22 or .32 auto.  Encourage them to shoot it a lot and become comfortable with it then like dieselman's wife they will often decide to graduate to something a little more powerful on their own.         
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 03:38:33 AM »
My question is this, how many of you would stand there and let me shoot you with a CO2 pellet pistol?

I see this argument a lot.  The problem is, it's a logical argument.  Of course I wouldn't stand there and let you shoot me with an CO2 pellet pistol.  BUT, I also wouldn't attack you.  The police shoot thousands of people a year.  I'm pretty sure most of them didn't want to get shot, but they still continued to do their bad thing in front of a cop that was armed.  You're trying to apply logic to a person who is undertaking an illogical act.

And yes, she should get something that she isn't afraid to shoot.  It definitely is better than nothing.  Best scenario would be she loses her fear of shooting and steps up to a more powerful gun. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:30 AM »

I find this lack of logic tiresome at best. It's little justification in my mind for the selection of a defensive tool. No sane person wants to be injured by any means. Hey, I don't want to be hit with a switch!

Having said that, any gun is better than none. Generally, anyone interested in carrying for self defense might be interested in learning to use a more efficient gun as well. After a little practical training, conducted by a qualified trainer, (No Spouses) I bet most would make a better choice in a carry gun. In the end, each individual has to make their own choices.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »
Better a stick or knife you know how to use than your fists. But the old adage never bring a knife to a gun fight also applies. Being armed and able to defend yourself is priority one.

If only a mouse gun can be properly concealed under the circumstances then far better it than nothing. The gun you have with you trumps anything else you left behind.

Some times I have carried a Kel-Tec P32 cuz it was all I had that I could conceal under the circumstances. Other times I carry a S&W 638 2" as it's a lot more potent and often easily enough concealed. I picked up a P3AT .380 since it's the same size as the P32 but a little more potent. Now I can have a .380 if I could before have only had the .32 acp.

I also picked up a Kel-Tec PF9 which is darn nearly as small as the .32 and .380 so it might become my most carried gun as soon as I'm confident it's reliable enough to trust for the job.

Sure I'd rather have a G27 or even a G22 if it really hits the fan but those larger guns get left behind most of the time whereas the smaller guns don't. The husband was wrong and should have let his wife get what she felt comfortable carrying and then taught her to use it effectively.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »
Better a stick or knife you know how to use than your fists. But the old adage never bring a knife to a gun fight also applies. Being armed and able to defend yourself is priority one.

If only a mouse gun can be properly concealed under the circumstances then far better it than nothing. The gun you have with you trumps anything else you left behind.

Some times I have carried a Kel-Tec P32 cuz it was all I had that I could conceal under the circumstances. Other times I carry a S&W 638 2" as it's a lot more potent and often easily enough concealed. I picked up a P3AT .380 since it's the same size as the P32 but a little more potent. Now I can have a .380 if I could before have only had the .32 acp.

I also picked up a Kel-Tec PF9 which is darn nearly as small as the .32 and .380 so it might become my most carried gun as soon as I'm confident it's reliable enough to trust for the job.

Sure I'd rather have a G27 or even a G22 if it really hits the fan but those larger guns get left behind most of the time whereas the smaller guns don't. The husband was wrong and should have let his wife get what she felt comfortable carrying and then taught her to use it effectively.

I think you'll really like your PF-9, it has got some pretty impressive reviews. I carry mine with my P-32 as back-up. Here's a pic I took of my P-32 laying on top of my PF-9 showing the size comparison. Recoil isn't as bad as most might think. If a lady decides to graduate to something with more punch the Kel Tec PF-9 is well worth considering.

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
     Bill:  I can remember when several yearsd ago you said you wouldnt have a kel-tec and now you have ALL 3 of them, I am proud of you see we can all adapt. I just couldnt pass-up the chanch of letting my memory work again.  Jim PS enjoy all the holydays to everyone.   Jim

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 02:26:07 PM »
"The gun you have trumps anything you left behind."

I think thats what I was saying.

And we can argue forever but if a bad guy wants you bad enough, nothing short of CNS hits will do.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
my girlfriend pick her own pistols. i just help with bullet selection.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Something more than a pellet gun. I would opt for the .32.

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
I was only using the pellet gun as an example ( apparently a tiresome logical/illogical example)
but when I was a kid I caught a pellet with my forehead, I can still hear that thud of lead off bone, it made
my ears ring. That was with an old Daisy, I have little doubt that hit with one of the new high-power pellet guns would have planted me there.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
When I sold guns I saw so many frustrated couples leave because the man knew what was best for the lady, even if she couldn't rack the slide or load the magazines. Any of us who have been married for a while knows a woman isn't going to practice with a gun that she can't hit with, or especially one that hurts her to shoot. Women need the confirmation that they can see -- holes in the black. I was buying a new .357 the other day (yet another one), and at the same time a wise man was in there with his wife, and they purchased a S&W .22 mag for her to carry. I call him "wise" because he knew her limits. She was used to the caliber and could shoot it well. She could easily load and close the revolver cylinder easier than a magazine. She would actually carry and practice with that gun, and in a life and death situation, she would use it. Maybe someday she'll move up to a .38, or 9mm, but she got what she needed today. He didn't try to force something else on her. (He was carrying a .45 ACP.) My wife carries a .357 thank goodness, but she didn't start with it. Now, however, as we are getting older, she has dropped down to Winchester 110-gr. HPs. Still better than a mouse gun.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."