Author Topic: Insurance on your guns in case they're stolen.........  (Read 488 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Insurance on your guns in case they're stolen.........
« on: November 23, 2010, 07:44:46 AM »
Recently we had 3 houses in the neighborhood that were broken into in the middle of the day.  Two of the houses had dogs that were given treats and let outside while the burglars went to work.  It's got me thinking about a home security system and what kind of coverage we have regarding the guns in the house.  I spoke with the lady at the insurance company and according to her, after I paid the $250 deductible I'd be covered for $2000 worth of guns.  That just isn't going to cut it for what I've got.  Right now she's looking into what it's going to cost me to upgrade the coverage.

I'm bringing it on here for two reasons.  1.) To give the many gun owners on here something to consider ahead of time to prevent a horrible financial loss on top of the material loss of guns and also 2.) I'd like to know what to do about insuring my guns and what's the best/cheapest way to go about it.

The lady mentioned that itemizing everything was one way to go about it, but then I said that I'd rather not do that because while the overall value will likely stay about the same the actual items may fluctuate a little as I buy/sell/trade them.

Any wisdom or guidance?

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Insurance on your guns in case they're stolen.........
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »
If you are an NRA member you have $1000.00 worth of coverage just for being a member.
They also offer full coverage insurance for your collection.
It is very cheap compared to other COs.
I have mine through them and have had for many years.
There is no way I could afford to cover them all if it wasn't through the NRA.
All my guns are in good safes which helps but if they want them I am sure they could get them.
Just might take them a while. :D
Check the NRA out.
Join if for no other reason than for the coverage.
You only have to list a gun if it's over eiyjer $1000.00 or $10,000.00 I don't recall which.
I think it's $10,000.00.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Insurance on your guns in case they're stolen.........
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »
I knew about the NRA coverage, and was hoping to not go that route.  I'm not really their biggest fan anymore and I let my membership expire because I don't want my money going to support/endorse Harry Reid.