Author Topic: Need help with my Weaver  (Read 430 times)

Offline Rat Rod Mac

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help with my Weaver
« on: November 26, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »
Last week on an outing I slipped on a patch of ice and while carry my rifle over my shoulder fell on the scope. Took a nasty chip out of the ocular lense. It's a Weaver straight 4 power El Paso. I have heard that the new Weaver company will not honor the old El Paso scopes for repairs. Do any of you guys know where I can send this scope to to have it repaired? Thank you in advance.  RRM

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need help with my Weaver
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:21:06 AM »

I have three or four El Paso Weavers.  Time has passed them by and I do not think they are worth repair.  Lens coatings, and fog protection has surpassed them in the last fifty years even in low price scopes.  I can remember a lot of frustrating mornings with fogged up lens in my old Weavers.  They were good then but not now.

I have two post El Paso Weavers that are fogged proof, and have proven themselves in sub freezing weather.

I have not tried one of these but I would invest money here rather than in an old Weaver.
http://mueller.geecarts.com/products/show.php?id=14011&type=

One of my hunting partners keeps threatening to replace his old Weaver 3x9.  I believe it dates back to 1970 and he has taken a couple of bucks a year with it.  The inside coating is flaking off, but it maintains its accuracy.  So the count is 40-50 deer and he has kept it longer than a wife or-- -.

The last El Paso 4x I replaced is still a good scope but I want the flexibility of more magnification on my Marlin 336.  I purchased a Burris 2x7-35 FFII.  They call it an x7 but it is actually x8 in high power.  It is a far superior scope then the old El Paso Weaver.  As I stated earlier the improvements in scope technology is noticeable. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.