Author Topic: My Brand New H&R 12 gauge ultra slug hunter only makes dimples in primer.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline farboy18

• Trade Count: (0)
Bought to brand new H&R ultra slug 12 gauges at bass pro on Tuesday. Got ready to sight them in today and it only fires about half of the time. Ive tried Lightfields, Hornady sst's and remington corelokts in both guns with no luck. I can take the bullets that didnt go off in the H&R and the mossberg still shoots them so i know its the guns. I want to go hunting tomorrow and adjustments i can make?

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: My Brand New H&R 12 gauge ultra slug hunter only makes dimples in primer.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
some new h&r are notorious for having a weak hamer spring. I had a 30-06 that did the same thing last fall, i had to send it back to h&r and have them do some work on it, they replaced the spring and sent it back and that cured the problem it took about 3-4 weeks. take it back to basspro and have them send it back or give you a replacement, its really an unsafe problem to have! good luck
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
I agree, weak springs are par for the coarse I'm sorry to say. Be sure you are pulling the trigger completely to the rear when firing. Shooting it with a lite depression of the trigger as if a fine volt trigger can also cause this.

You can also check the pin protrusion, with action open, (GUN EMPTY) squeeze and lower hammer. Keep trigger completely pulled to the rear. Now with the hammer back using a small thin tool push the firing pin into the receiver and compare the differences. Pin protrusion should be about .040. To increase, you can grind a bit off the top of the hammer where it hits the frame.

In the FAQ's there is a couple links for extra power springs.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
 If you are bent on using it tomorrow, see if it will fit on another receiver. Then use it and take it back on the original receiver ;)

Lonny

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:15:06 AM »
Thank God I still have my Topper made in '75 without the transfer bar. If it were me, I would have the fastest hammer spring known to man and leave it at that. The gun will last decades and decades so I would just fix it for good.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
I had to replace mine also. As the board recomended, I replaced it with a Wolf XP hammer spring. Problem solved.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »
Being brand new I would send it back.  It's going to take a couple of weeks to get it back, but its their screw up.  Let them fix it.  Personally, I've never had a problem but I have heard alot of complaints.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
The way that some of these have sat on the shelf, for who knows how long, they may have had a bad factory run over a relatively short time but it is manifesting itself much longer on the consumer market. Sure wish they would just do a recall in the serial number range of trouble. Making this linger until buyers have problems is not responsible and will not create user good will toward the company; in other words, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Yes, they will fix it, and you will probably be satisfied. You just have to jump through the hoops to send it back and be without your purchase for a bit.
Its called 'life'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »
I watched an interesting show not long ago about a well known rifle manufacturer (I won't mention names).

I won't go into detail but it's something about the gun going off when the safety is released, and that the company knows about, it and has known about it for years and has never issued a recall on the rifles.

According to the show the explaination was that there are no government regulations that say that a gun company "must" recall their product, and it has to do with the second amendment that they (government) can't order a gun company to recall.

So it's really up to the gun company to police themselves and many have accepted the option to leave recalling alone, and just to replace the parts if requested by the owner.

Probably why most gun manufacturers try to stay on top of their customer service!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
I think I saw the same 'network' broadcast........I said "typical anti-gun' drivel (or something to that effect) we have come to expect from them.
I was taught, back in the dark ages, that gun safety is in the hands of the gun handler and that a gun owner will periodically check the proper functioning of a mechanical saftey, regardless of brand or reputation. After that I was taught that a gunsmith will check the proper funtioning of a gun safety system before he begins any other work on the gun. If it malfunctions then no more work will be done until that is corrected.
Of course, it may be likely the typical gun owner probably doesnt take care of his guns any better than the car he has that he doesnt check the oil in. I have been amazed at the people Ive been with who should know better than to jack a round into the chamber of their bolt gun and 'maybe' put the safety on. Alot havent; they walk around and handle it as if the thing is unloaded. Now if it 'goes off' then you can be sure he will swear before God and on a stack of Bibles that he put the safety on.
Sometimes there is mechanical failure.
More times it is operator error.
Sometimes it is fatal.
Where was the muzzle pointed and by whom?

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »
farboy18, did you clear this one up yet?  Just curious...I know that some have also had a problem with the remnants of the manufacturing process gumming up the firing pin and the surrounding area.  I have heard of guys going to town on that area with cleaning products and fixing just the same problem that you mentioned.  If you have not fixed it yet, give it some elbow grease before sending it back...It could just be a dirty action causing the problem.  Good luck...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
I think I saw the same 'network' broadcast........I said "typical anti-gun' drivel (or something to that effect) we have come to expect from them.
I was taught, back in the dark ages, that gun safety is in the hands of the gun handler and that a gun owner will periodically check the proper functioning of a mechanical saftey, regardless of brand or reputation. After that I was taught that a gunsmith will check the proper funtioning of a gun safety system before he begins any other work on the gun. If it malfunctions then no more work will be done until that is corrected.
Of course, it may be likely the typical gun owner probably doesnt take care of his guns any better than the car he has that he doesnt check the oil in. I have been amazed at the people Ive been with who should know better than to jack a round into the chamber of their bolt gun and 'maybe' put the safety on. Alot havent; they walk around and handle it as if the thing is unloaded. Now if it 'goes off' then you can be sure he will swear before God and on a stack of Bibles that he put the safety on.
Sometimes there is mechanical failure.
More times it is operator error.
Sometimes it is fatal.
Where was the muzzle pointed and by whom?

If the safety doesn't work, don't put it on the gun. That way, no one gets confused.