Author Topic: #2 of the season for me!  (Read 1362 times)

Offline twohats

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
#2 of the season for me!
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »
I just got in from another sucessful hunt,this time i changed barrells and use a 7-30 Waters with factory ammo.My buudy was still hunting with his longbow and me toting my new found weapon for deer.We decided to hunt the same area I went high up on the ridge and him lower.I got to a big white oak and made a quick ground blind and sat down.About 10 minutes later I heard something behind me coming down the ridge.I turned around to find two bucks working their way right toward sme.I shifted around and got my trigger stick set and ready.I had them both at 30 yds and the 5 pt was looking my directions and I couldn't get him in the scope.I quess luck was on my side,he looked my way and turned away and kept on walking closer.I had him go behind a big oak and then I was set and ready when he appeared at 25 yds.I squeezed off a round and the buck ran by me stiff legged and plowed nose first down the ridge.Wow,what a rush.I am really beginning to get attached to these TC's.I have the .35 I have never tried so I might have to take that one for stroll next.Thought I would share another hunt with you guys,hope its okay......The federal factory ammo did a great job although it was close.
The ground is always level at the foot of the cross..............

Offline nickE10mm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: #2 of the season for me!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

Hey thanks for sharing and congrats on your handgun buck!

I took my 2nd handgun deer this year with my 10mm Razorback. Awesome stuff!

Offline paradocs

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »
Buck bites and venison burgers for the 3D shoots next year!  Just don't tell no one you took him with one of those handrifles ;)

Offline twohats

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Paradocs......I see you found me.If I ain't on Trad Gang I am on here.I am seasonal you know.LOL...These will definitly be on the menu at our 3D shoots this year.I took the .35 Rem out tonite but didn't see anything down on our farm in Madison Co..Invite is always open when you can make up this way.Hope to see ya soon Bud....

Danny

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
 Congrats!
 I have a .357 max but as luck would have it, she has not taken a deer yet. But one more day of firearms season who knows.

Lonny

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 02:58:45 AM »
Nice,got my first last year with my then new 7-30 14" with my handloads,had it zeroed for 100yds and practiced often before season,got mine at about 40yds I really like that caliber.

Offline twohats

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
I like the way the 7-30 shoots.I would like to get a bullet that leaves a better blood trail though.I have a friend who offerfed to load me a box of his favorite load.I will probably go that route next.As long as they fall within site that works too.LOL

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »
I would like to get a bullet that leaves a better blood trail though.

Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tip seems to be the accepted deer slayer in 7-30, although I have yet to take one with mine.  Good expansion at pistol velocities it seems.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline I make oil

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.thejump.net
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:43:03 AM »
I have not killed a deer with my 7-30 yet but have killed 8 hogs and they are all one shot kills.  I think it is one of the best rounds out for the Contenders.

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:14 AM »
Great picture.  Thanks and congratulations.  While you are collecting barrels to feed the contender addiction, a 300 whisper is mighty sweet and a deer killing no recoiling super accurate and fun round.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay