Author Topic: MY first deer with a handi rifle.  (Read 560 times)

Offline Mad Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
MY first deer with a handi rifle.
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:23 AM »
Boys,  if I post on here, it's always about my son's handi successes.  Well, he stopped by Thanksgiving Day, and said if I wanted to use his handi 44 mag, to go ahead.  Well I got up this morning, getting ready to go hunting, and though "why not", instead of messing around with my muzzleloader.  Went out to my usual spot, and waited for daylight.  About 30 minutes after legal shooting light, 5 does came down the ditch bank, and stood about 45 yds. away.  I put the scope on 1 of the 2 bigger ones[she was quartering away], and put the crosshairs right behind her last rib, and squeezed off the shot.  She dropped her tail, and ran about 35 yds., and collapsed in a chizel plowed corn field.  I used the hornady LE ammo, and it did it's usual great job!  My 1st handi kill, and probably not my last.  Here is a pic of the doe.  She field dress 100 lbs.

Here is a coupla pics of the 2 does I shot opening weekend, with my CVA Wolf muzzleloader.

90 lbs. field dressed.

125 lbs. field dressed.

Still looking for a buck, but have all the meat I need.  Think I'm gonna have a 44 mag handi, before next season.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: MY first deer with a handi rifle.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 05:19:15 AM »
Wat to go Mad Dog! Congrats on your first Handi success.
Yup, I can see a Handi-Rifle in your future! ;D

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 05:36:39 AM »
All right, congrats!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:37:59 AM »
Looks like a freezer full of good eatin' ;D
Nice.

Spanky

Offline Mad Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
Thanks boys.  Many of you know I've always been a levergun man.  Had issues with my 1894 Marlin 44 mag.  I had killed 5 deer with it, the previous 2 seasons, but including opening day, this year, I've had 4 clean misses with it the last 3 yrs.  At ranges under 50 yds., it was ok.  The misses happened between 80-120 yds.  I had tried 3 brands of factory ammo, as well as 5 different handloads with bullet weights from 225 gr-270 gr.  Didn't matter, the groups just opened up too far.  I kinda blame it on being somewhat overbored, as well as the 1-38 barrel twist.  I also suspicion it was throated long.  No matter, after 2 misses on opening day, I put it away and went to my ML.  Those are the does in the above pics.  I sold the gun last week.  After this morning, I'm going to try to cabbage onto a new/used 44 mag handi, newer than 2007.  Would rather have a SB-2 receiver, rather than the SB-1, but it really doesn't matter.  It will be my firearm for Indiana deer season, next year.  Can't really complain, though, 3 one shot kills, so far, this year, and we still have 16 days of ML season coming up, in Dec.! ;D

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:22:54 AM »
Looks like a good season to me. Congrats!

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
We just shot our new to us Handi 44 mag today for the first 25 times.....  ;)
I bought it from a GBO member and had him leave the survivor forend on it, and I added a regular synthetic stock. WOW is it light, we didn't shoot paper since all I had were some medium powered Jacketed 240s loaded for the pistol but man was it fun and we hit pretty much everything we were shooting at (except that one weed stem sticking out of the snow. But I was close  ::). )
Good job on those deer! Hope you find the rifle you are looking for. It may take a little while for a good used one, but there are new ones on the rack at the stores, they just get a little more for them.

Congrats!
thejanitor