Author Topic: Buckshot choke advice needed.  (Read 1424 times)

Offline copter wrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Buckshot choke advice needed.
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »
I have a Browning gold shotgun and would like advice on a buckshot choke. I shot 3in. mag #4 buck using 3 different chokes, modified(browning), Lmodified(brilley) and Imodified (brilley)chokes at 50 yards. Out of 41 pellets the most on paper were 8-10. Paper size 14x14". I am thinking of buying the Buck Kicker, Pattern Master or Primos. Anybody use these? What do ya'll use?

Offline Mohawk

Re: Buckshot choke advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:56:19 AM »
Really depends on the specific gun and what it likes. i.e.- two guns of the same model with same specs may shoot totally different. I have used 2 3/4 " Rem 00 Buck in a short barrelled patrol shotgun(cylinder bore) and it was devastating on deer. Granted it was 6 yds. Same load in my modified choke Topper is only good out to about 15 yds. A good rule of thumb is to place 50 percent of the shot in a 12" circle. This was told to me by a career buckshot hunter. Also #4 buck may have penetration issues. My deer took 9 pellets of 00 buck at 6 yds square in the lungs broadside. Only 4 exited. My next load I will be trying soon has 3 .60 caliber balls. Patterns well but my gun shoots it to 7 O'clock so I'll have to see if I can improve that before hunting with it.

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:19:07 AM »
I can only comment on 00 buck. When using 00 use a modified choke, tighter choke (Full) will cause the shot deform because it is "too" tight. The shot goes out of round so to speak and the patterns will open up and you will lose accuracy.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
With #4 buck full choke always worked best for me. I had a Rem 1100 12 ga with a 30" Full choke and the only buck shot it would shoot well was 2 3/4" Rem baby mag #4. At 50 yards it would keep all of them in a 30 inch circle without holes in the pattern. I killed a bunch of deer with that gun and load. If you are deer hunting I would suggest that you go with a bigger shot size like #1 or 00 which retains more energy. With the #4 buck I always tried to keep my shots under 40 yards even though I had the pattern to put a bunch of shot into a deer past 50 yards they did not have the energy to penetrate well.

Offline purpledragon

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
I think I would do as Shot1 said, as I myself discovered long ago that the full with #4  2 3/4in. patterned better than the 3" in my Ithaca 37 featherlight 3" mag 30"full. Now when I bought a 34" Hastings barrel and all the chokes, it shoots the 3" just fine with the full and not to shabby with the mod.,just difference in barrels..........hope this helps....................
This only proves that,when allowed to act outside his lawfully limited authority,a U.S. President is capable of unleashing horrendous violence against the lives,liberty,and property of those he pretends to serve...........