Author Topic: Pentax 6x42mm Gameseeker any experience with them?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Pentax 6x42mm Gameseeker any experience with them?
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »
Still looking at options and these scoeps are available at a reasonable price here in the UK but what are they like or comparable too?

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pName=pentax-6x42mm-gameseeker-waterproof-rifle-scope-matte&cName=rifle-scope-pentax-rifle-scopes

Of course not as cheap as in the US but not a bad price for the UK which is why I am asking about them.

Did a search of the forums and got mainly variable Pentax scope hits. I know that variables seem more common but I happen to like fixed magnification scopes and 6x42 is just right for me but are they any good? I have no experience with Pentax optics at all.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Pentax 6x42mm Gameseeker any experience with them?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 02:44:52 AM »
Brit,
No personal experience with the 6x42 pentax riflescope. But a friend bought a pentax 3-9 a few years ago and didn't like it. Gave it to a mutual friend who still uses it. The biggest problem seams to be eye relief. I wouldn't mount it on a hard kicker. But you no doubt already noticed that in the specs.

The pentax binocs, on the other hand, are held in high esteem and I recently bought a new pair of pentax 8x43 DCF SP and am quite pleased with my purchase. Bought them from cameraland, a sponsor here at GBO.  ;D

Well it seams I've been absoutly no help so I'll quit my rambling.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
I recently bought a new 1.75x-5x gameseeker and have been playing with it for a while.  It's seems pretty like a pretty decent scope for the money.  The click adjustments are very positive and easy to use.  Just for fun, I stuck it in the freezer and then pulled it out to room temperature.  No fogging at all.  I don't know if I like the Precision Plex reticle.  The first crosshatch seems too close to the center.  Other than that I think it's a good scope. 

As mentioned, the eye relief is not real great (3.3") but good enough for what I will probably use it for.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I decided not to go for one and have brought a used 6x42 Lisenfeld Jaguar which hopefully will arrive tomorrow in the post  :P. I already have a Lisenfeld 3-9x42 Jaguar so know they are excellent optics.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »
 I'd have to advise not buying Pentax, at least not their Gameseeker series.  Friend had one (4x12) it went bad after one season, he had to pay 20 bucks plus shipping for "warranty" repair, the new scope they sent never did zero.  To add insult, the address his paperwork had in it was not correct, scope got sent back to him, he was out an extra shipping and insurance fee.  All this meant he paid  40 bucks for warranty service and he still didn't get a scope worth a hoot. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:56:28 AM »
Try a search using "pentax" as identifier and my name as author.
As you know I have this model as well as a 4x32. Overall I like them for what I do with them. Clear and Brite at the range.

Knave a friend that purchased two gameseeker variables bothwhere junk!! Lots of problems. From poor eye reliefto dark optics and impact shifts with power changes.

I would buy another fixed power but not a variable.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
The newly acquired Lisenfeld 6x42 seems to be a dandy  ;D I put it on top of one of my .270's to test it out and 10 rnds of RWS 130 Gr T-Mantle and 10 Rnds of Federal Fusion 150 Gr it moves as it should and then stays put where set so far. Am now deciding on where to put it. Just moved a couple of scopes around to make best use of them. In the past I have sort of plonked on what I managed to pick up not perhaps would be best for that particular rifle.

It's time to get it sorted out  ;). Plus it will still require one more scope, two if I manage to fill the .243 slot that is vacant  ;),

There is the .280 with no scope, the BSA model E is scopeless and the P-H 1100 Delux only has a cheap 4x40 on it right now.