Author Topic: H&R Ultra 308, How accurate are bthey guys?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Seabee hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "All gave some, but some gave all for you"
H&R Ultra 308, How accurate are bthey guys?
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:21:45 AM »
I keep seeing diifrent opinions on accuracy on the H&R 308 single shots. Give me the real input guys.

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
Re: H&R Ultra 308, How accurate are bthey guys?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 07:07:15 AM »
To give a long answer to a short question, it just depends.  Some of the handi rifles shoot great right out of the box.  Most shoot well enough as a matter of fact.  Some can be helped a lot with the info in the FAQ section, things like forend fitting, trigger work, proper reloading etc;.   Some take more work, things like latch shelf and hinge pin fitting.  I had one that drove me crazier than I already am.  I finally got it down to 2-3 inches at 100 yds.  Best I could get it to do.  It now lives somewhere else, I took it to a gun show and traded it away on AR-15 parts.  To put  it in perspective though, ask yourself this question.  How much accuracy can you expect for $300 or less?  And often much less, I try not to pay over $175 for a used handi rifle.  New ones here in NC run about $250-$275 out the door.  I have 2 or 3 handi's that will out shoot most bolt guns, most are the equal of a bolt. 

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
I have a Ulta Hunter 308 thart I bought about two years ago. It has about 300 rounds through it. I can say it's MOD (minute of deer). For me 2"-3" @ 100yds is acceptable. It nice to have a shooter you don't mind walking in the rain with and not worrying about a nice rifle costing 2-3 times the Handi. I love my handi for the price. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »
If you are going to only have one gun then I would look some place else.  Savage line has some (Edge) that are very close to or less than a H&R new.  They have a much much better chance of being a shooter right out of the box.  If you are wanting a single shot rifle and don't mind doing some work and burning some ammo, then the H&R can be a lot of fun.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Seabee hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "All gave some, but some gave all for you"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:48 AM »
thanks for the input guys. I think im gonna grab it. They want 190.00 NIB.

Jim

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
I have a 308 ultra varmint that I bought new the summer before last. I did the JB bore paste thing on the barrel before I shot it. Topped it with a Nikon 3X9X40 pro staff and with rem green box 150 gr ammo it was shooting just under an 1 1/2" at 100 yards. The more rounds I put down it the better the groups seem to be getting. Last deer season I took one at 160 yards with it.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
Get it! Try it, Do the FAQs thing even if you dont need to.........if it doesnt do what you want, sell it on the classifieds here and get your money back. Where can you get a better deal than that?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974