Author Topic: H&R 'Buck Model 162' 12ga. slugger smoothbore  (Read 2002 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
H&R 'Buck Model 162' 12ga. slugger smoothbore
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
I just got one of these barrels; did the ctl/f seach but didnt find anything........
Anyone know when these were available and what Foster type slugs they prefer?
As it is a cyl. bore Im thinking it will probably do shot well at close grouse range too (light loads if I want anything left to eat).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R 'Buck' slugger smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:58:49 AM »
This is what I found from the BBGV at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/everygun/GunMfgCategoryDetail.aspx?id=2101

Tim

MODEL 162 TOPPER BUCK 
- 12 or 20 (mfg. 1973-1978) ga., side lever break open action, 22 or 24 in. barrel, rebounding hammer, self-adj. barrel latch, case hardened frame, blue finish, three piece takedown, screw retained forearm, pistol grip walnut stained hardwood stock, semi-beavertail forearm, vent. rubber recoil pad, adj. rear aperture sight. Mfg. 1968-1986.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

Re: H&R 'Buck' 12ga. slugger smoothbore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
From deep in the depths of the ancient archives........good stuff, thanx, Tim.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
I've got a 162 Buck model and all I've ever shot out of it are the Remington and Winchester Foster slugs. Definitely minute of deer at 50 yards. Never shot any further than that.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
Ithaca got their reputation with their slugger smoothie by reducing the barrel ID to better match the Foster slugs of the day, and the sights, of course.
This one mic's at .727 front to back; anyone have an Ithaca to measure for comparison?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline gcrank1

Re: H&R 'Buck Model 162' 12ga. slugger smoothbore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
Barrel fit up to my old 12 (1974), ready to rock; 1 shot with std hunting 7 1/2s went just at and above the sights at 25yd., Stout! Same POA with new, cheap Rem Slugger went above POA by a couple inches; next shot and ...bummer, repeated light strikes. No transfer bar in this either. Time to tear it down; oh well, it is winter.
UPDATE:
Old style, double leg torsion mainspring seems weak, but this gun has been sitting for about 15yrs. now, (no, not cocked). The firing pin retracting spring is a bit stiff, maybe 'dampening the strike' too much?, so I drove out the pin and replaced it with a softer coiled spring from my bins. Also checked the firing pin protrusion, only about .030, so I lightly filed the hammer stop (the frame contact just below the rear of the firing pin; I checked for contact with a thin paper strip 'feeler' while holding forward pressure on the hammer) and got to .035 quickly.
Fired one OK, but still not a very strong indent, next one failed.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »
I think I might be able to bend the legs of the torsion spring to get more tension, but it will fatigue again, and since it has to get pulled apart to do that I would rather replace the spring.
Anyone have an extra Wolff dbl leg/coil mainspring for the old (1974) Topper that you could send me?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
gcrank,

try the attached wad Brenneke slugs.  I have had good accurarcy with them in a 20 gage smooth bore and my friend has good luck with them in a 12 ga. smoothbore.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 04:39:26 AM »
Ive got maybe 3 of those stashed from about 30yrs. ago. The first shot at 50yrs from my old cut-down Stevens pump went dead on. After that I couldnt get a shot to go anywhere near a group, but it may have been me (ya think?), though I did get consistent 3" groups with Win. cheap slugs.
Eventually I will try the 'higher priced spread', but it wont hurt my feelings if I can get decent groups with cheap Foster types.
First though Im building a tube/spring buttstock weight (filled with shot) since Im too cheap to buy a Mercury tube (and Ive got bits, pieces, and time).
BTW, did I mention it KICKS?
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special