Author Topic: Black powder in .45 colt, how much cleaning is involved after shooting?  (Read 646 times)

Offline MacTech

• Trade Count: (0)
I've been contemplating loading up some black powder rounds for my BCC .45 Colt, but one thing that makes me hesitant to actually do it is the fact that BP needs more intensive cleaning than smokeless, if it was limited to just cleaning the barrel, I'd have no problem, it's the dire warnings I've heard that the stuff gets inside action itself and that a complete teardown and scrubbing of the receiver internals is required after each BP session to prevent corrosion

What's the real story here? How much cleaning is involved after shooting BP cartridges?

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Black powder in .45 colt, how much cleaning is involved after shooting?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »
I'm a BP and ML nut, I have years of shooting and 1000's of rounds down the tubes with Traditional ML's.
 There should be no reason Black Powder residue would get inside the action of a cartridge firing rifle. Black powder Cartridge Revolvers may/DO have problems because of the loose tolerances and open systems associated with revolvers.

BP residue easily cleans with warm soapy water. And has done so for 100's of years.
 Best is a pumping action with one end of the barrel submerced in a bucket and a swab/mop or covered jag is used to pump water up and down through the barrel. A couple changes of water then complete drying followed by an oil is all that's needed. Any external residue can be cleaned with a damp cloth and drying.
 Extra care needs to be done with the cases also, warm water washing and complete drying. It's the drying part that folks fail to do and that leads to rust.
found elsewhere

Offline Range Rider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:16:14 AM »
I have not found B/P a problem.  I shoot B/P loads in a number of hand guns with no problems. I have never had a gun foul up inside the action. I clean the gun with a mixture of Murphys soap and alcohol.  I run a wet patch thru the bore a few times and oil  the bore.  I remove the cylinder and drop it into a bowl of hot soapy water scrub the chambers out and clean with hot clear water.  I also light oil the cylinder and chambers.  I use an alcohol that is 90% or more this cuts moisture problem when cleaning.  Give it a try, it fun.

RR
Range Rider

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
I shoot quite a bit of BP and its subs ( Pyrodex & 777 ) in my 45/70 Handi rifle and have never had a real problem as far as cleaning goes . I just pull the barrel off the frame , run a Bore Snake down it to get the crud thats left and then clean & oil as normal .

As for the frame , I just hold it with the butt pad up and hose it down good , inside & out with spray gun scrubber , all the crud runs out and on to a cleaning rag , I let it hang & drip for a few and re-assemble .

Never had a problem with rust or other junk .  ;)

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
blackhorn 209 is prolly the cleanest holy black-sub there is....
and its a great propellant with very little effort in cleaning.
 ifin tha deers i've took wif it cud talk....and were still kick'n
they cud tell ya  ;)
i've tried them all.   and i'll continue to use bh-209
jus my thoughts........ ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline whiteoper

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »
I also shoot BP and subs in my 45 colt and 45-70 with no real issues cleaning the frames.  I have an early 70's huntsman 45 cal front stuffer that is another matter.  I blame the primers for that though.  I take the barrels off and use hot water till clean then oil them.

Roscoe

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
The brass expands upon firing and pretty well seals the chamber so gas and fouling dont go backwards into the works.
The biggest headache will be cleaning the brass; and you have to do it right away or it will go bad.
Toss the empties right after firing into a jug of water with a little dishsoap.
Let them soak and jiggle on the way home.
Dump it all into an old kitchen collander at your utility sink, or better, outdoors, and run water all over them to rinse.
Set or spread them on a food dehydrator tray (like making dried fruit or jerky) and run it until they're dry.
Use a bore brush on a short handle to brush out the inside.
Reload.
It dont get any easier than this.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »
Try some Pioneer or Triple 7 powder instead of Black.. Much easier to clean... Just a patch with a little water..Dry with some more patches then oil her up.. I use it in my Buffalo Classic in 45/70... Just make sure bullet is sitting on or compessing the powder... Hope this helps..

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
Should be no problem with the Handi Rifle.  I used FFFg Goex in my Marlin .30-30 to see what it would do.  All was okay until I started cleaning the bore and all of the glop ended up in the action - ICKY!!!  With the NEF you can take the barrel off and clean it, I wouldn't think there would be any fouling in the action then.  Hmm.  .30-30 NEF, empty brass... I may just have to try that again, just for giggles!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
What ever the rifle, turn it upside down in the cleaning cradle with some rags or paper towels under the breech, as you clean the barrel from the muzzle (make/use a muzzle protector; I know 'everybody' says clean from the breech, but, by my calculations it is way cheaper and easier to cut/recrown a barrel than set it back and rechamber, which you cant do on a Handi anyway). All the gunk will run out instead of down into the action. When done with the barrel I use a pistol rod with a smaller than chamber jag with a cloth wrapped around it to clean up the chamber and throat.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »
Seems to me Junior figured it out Ok.  ;)

Tim

Black Powder 45-70 Handi-Rifle by Junior Doughty
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain